Two tiny fossils for ID

copacetic

Hello again, Fossil Forum.

I have some actual fossils for you now. My seven-year-old daughter finds these tiny things mixed in with the gravel on her school playground. I don't know if the gravel is local to us in Kentucky, but it might be. 

The first one has so much contrast it looks like someone painted the white parts of it! I assume it's some kind of coral, but I don't know what kind. 

The second item is one of the best she's found as it seems to be in very good shape. I don't know if it's plant matter or again, coral. I'd love to be able to label it in her little fossil box.

DSC06106-web.jpg

DSC06107-web.jpg

DSC06108-web.jpg

DSC06109-web.jpg

There's almost enough curving and overlapping in that first piece to question if it could be a coprolite filled burrow.

@GeschWhat and @Carl you think maybe ?

• I found this Informative 1

Your little daughter already knows what are the important things in live ;)!
Franz Bernhard

1 hour ago, Rockwood said:

There's almost enough curving and overlapping in that first piece to question if it could be a coprolite filled burrow.

@GeschWhat and @Carl you think maybe ?

I see what you're saying, Rocky, but I think the units are too organised to be coprolites. I suspect some colonial marine invertebrate. 

9 minutes ago, Carl said:

too organised to be coprolites.

Not surprised. It could be something like syringopora. Some of the curves being the crossing structures. :popcorn:

• I found this Informative 3

29 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

Not surprised. It could be something like syringopora. Some of the curves being the crossing structures. :popcorn:

I agree, Syringopora was my first thought for no.1.

• I found this Informative 3

Tarquin

Yup. Syringopora tabulate coral does seem to match #1. My first impression on #2 also seemed to look like a bryozoan with individual zooid chambers.

Your daughter has the curiosity (and the eye) to be a good fossil hunter.

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 2

Thank you, everyone! I think Syringopora is very likely because many of the images I see in Google Image Search have that stark coloring contrast, plus marine fossils are the most likely for this area, I think. Looking up bryozoans, I think based on this image that the second fossil is leioclema: http://isgs.illinois.edu/outreach/geology-resources/bryozoans

I'm thinking it's way too small to be Syringopora. My gut says bryozoan but that's mostly speculation.

5 minutes ago, Carl said:

I'm thinking it's way too small to be Syringopora.

Are you taking into account that it could be an internal mold ?

3 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

Are you taking into account that it could be an internal mold ?

Yeah. I just think the tubes are way too small. But I also can't at all claim to know corals very well.

20 minutes ago, Carl said:

I'm thinking it's way too small to be Syringopora. My gut says bryozoan but that's mostly speculation.

It is small but there are Syringoporids a millimetre or a bit less in diameter which is what that seems to be. Can't see the internal structure (distinctive tabulae) that would make it more definite though.

Tarquin

It looks like Syringopora, to me, but I'm not a coral expert.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library