Is this Inoceramus labiatus?

Wrenchchik

Hello, and a very warm welcome to the Fossil Forum from Morocco! :)

Where and when is it from ? 

A more precise location and formation would help. 

There are many species, but this looks more like Inoceramus latus to me. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

I found it last week in the greenhorn limestone area(ks) ;) ,on the side of a river. What time period is that species from? Theres even less info online than the one i previously suggested. Lol.   I may have a couple different ones.   I have found several pieces within several miles of me. I appreciate any and all suggestions and help. 

I'm ashamed to admit, I know very little about bivalves from the greenhorn of Kansas despite living in the middle of it.  I can say with fair certainty, that it's cretaceous in age, and some species of inoceramus.  ( it appears yours was found where cows frequent)  you can go to www.oceansofkansas to find some more info.

Ramo

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

Welcome to the Fossil Forum!

Can we see a photo taken with oblique (from the side) lighting to use shadows to highlight the pattern of ribbing?  Direct (from above) lighting makes it hard to distinguish features from a photo.

"Inoceramus" labiatus has been reassigned to Mytiloides labiatus.  It is a zone marker for the Turonian stage of the Upper Cretaceous, and it does occur in the Western Interior as well as in Europe and elsewhere, which makes it very useful for long distance correlations.  It has I believe been reported from the Greenhorn as well as correlated formations, such as the Favel in Manitoba and Saskatchewan.  However inoceramid taxonomy is complex, and there are numerous similar species.  To ID these with any degree of certainty, one must be able to see the profile (outline) and ornament (ribs and folds) of the entire shell.

Don

• I found this Informative 1

Hi and welcome: the caveats and opinions voice above are totally justified.

The old "the taxonomy is in a state of flux"certainly applies here

I'd recommend using either Seitz(impossible to get),Troger,or D'hondt for inoceramid taxonomy

Matsumota and Noda are free access,so should be in a library here somewhere.

Some shape corrections for tectonic deformation might be the order of the day as well,when using morphometry

I knew I had something relevant by Seitz:ptero:

2f588t4ee44e5tmedtr2m35pltwillist.jpg

200 Mb so way too large to post*

scans are pretyy good,as such thing go 

2f77588t4ee44e5tmedtr2m35pltwillist.jpg

back in the days,(1935,in this particular case thereabouts)Seitz and Schindewolf(1926) were among the first to apply biometry to document intra-and interspecific molluscan

variability

source: Jb.Preuss.Landesamt,v.55)