What's this?

Al4galm

Hi guys, 

I am not even sure if this is the correct place to ask, but lets give it a try.

This past weekend I visited my hometown, Tampico in Mexico (right in the center of the Gulf of Mexico).  It is a beach town, and it also has a big River that goes into the ocean so it has been a major port for many years. Recently the local governmet decided to do some maintenance on the beach promenade.  A bunch of big rocks were moved from the Tamuin area (112 kms west from Tampico) and basically dumped along the promenade to contain the waves.    The rocks have many shapes on their surface and different colors. I am extremely curious to find out what they are, but being an accountant I am absolutely clueless.  

If anyone knows what these are or can direct me to another forum where I could ask please please lemme know. 

:) 

MOSA1298[1].JPG

KQKJ1803[1].JPG

MUKF9916.JPG

GWJX9029.JPG

TIQS1027.JPG

GHKJ4888.JPG

Welcome to the Forum! :)
I see rudists in natural (weathering) sections.
They are pretty nice!

link

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

14 minutes ago, Al4galm said:

I am not even sure if this is the correct place to ask,

Welcome to TFF!

You came to the right place.

Most of Your pictures do show fossil shell.

Others will let You know what types. (I am not much good with shells).

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Except for picture 5 (persistent lichen or maybe pyrite), you have some lovely fossils. @abyssunder is correct about the rudists.

"Journey through a universe ablaze with changes" Phil Ochs

4 minutes ago, Innocentx said:

Except for picture 5 (persistent lichen or maybe pyrite), you have some lovely fossils. @abyssunder is correct about the rudists.

You may be correct. I skipped picture 5, because I haven't seen fossils there.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Rudists were odd reef-building clams; yours are very attractive display specimens.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

As far as I can recognize the shapes of them, you have caprinid rudists, maybe Caprinuloidea, Caprina, Kimbleia, or similar.

Thomas Mann

My Library

Yay! Thank you so much!!! My 5 year old is going to go bunkers when I explain to her what those are.

I asked and the rocks were from a quarry called "El Abra" in San Luis Potosí.  

Will try to get in contact with the local authorities, having a description of what they are can be super interesting.

Sadly, nobody was paying attention to them.

I supposed they are from the El Abra.Thank you for the confirmation. :)

Thomas Mann

My Library

Archived