M. Americanum rib bone

Neat mastodon rib bone for sale that I’m interested in. Can more knowledgable tell me if this is indeed M. americanum given that it’s just a bone fragment? Fossil is from north Florida

97AD80EA-F691-4176-9F59-49F73CE4153E.jpeg

9C0ABE6A-73FD-4E2C-915F-06DC76A1C0D3.jpeg

E406455A-BE53-40AD-A934-98FB668FFC34.jpeg

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/40583-fossil-sloth-rib/

I see that you commented on this thread about a Florida Sloth rib... If you look at the 2 ribs for similarities,  you can see that "knob" in the middle exists on both bones. 

So I can confirm that your new bone is consistent with what the cervical attached ribs look like in many large Florida fossil mammals. Mastodon is the next step up in size from sloth for Florida fossils..

So measure the diameter and circumference...it looks to be more robust/larger that the ones we identified as "Sloth"

Net: it looks like a Florida fossil rib in the approximate size range of Mastodon..  so looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, etc

Nice fossil Mastodon rib..

Added this Florida dugong rib photo.  You can see the smaller knobs on the rib attachment ends.IMG_2567.jpg.1129ecf93baff8097ec16389e3c0525a.jpg

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

23 minutes ago, Shellseeker said:

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/40583-fossil-sloth-rib/

I see that you commented on this thread about a Florida Sloth rib... If you look at the 2 ribs for similarities,  you can see that "knob" in the middle exists on both bones. 

So I can confirm that your new bone is consistent with what the cervical attached ribs look like in many large Florida fossil mammals. Mastodon is the next step up in size from sloth for Florida fossils..

So measure the diameter and circumference...it looks to be more robust/larger that the ones we identified as "Sloth"

Net: it looks like a Florida fossil rib in the approximate size range of Mastodon..  so looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, etc

Nice fossil Mastodon rib..

Added this Florida dugong rib photo.  You can see the smaller knobs on the rib attachment ends.IMG_2567.jpg.1129ecf93baff8097ec16389e3c0525a.jpg

Thank you for the detailed response!  So regarding mastodon, are there others in the area? Or would it absolutely be m.americanum? 

3 hours ago, Masp said:

Thank you for the detailed response!  So regarding mastodon, are there others in the area? Or would it absolutely be m.americanum? 

https://www.floridamuseum.ufl.edu/montbrook/about-montbrook/

There is a fossil site in North Central Florida at Montbrook that has found these 3:

Teleoceras nsp. (rhino)

Rhynchotherium sp., cf. R. edense (proboscidean – elephant relative)

Mammut matthewi (mastodon)

It is WAY above my pay grade to identify the specific proboscidean ancestor which lived in Florida and contributed your rib... :headscratch:

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Archived