Red Flags and NOT Moroccan

Must be a full moon out there

Seller is offering this pterosaur skull and claw without any additional information other than saying it had no teeth :(.  Tired emailing him no response as of yet.  

Looks like 3 wing bones of a Pterosaur  from the Kansas chalk.  Very nice

Edit: seller responded saying it's from Texas and assures me there is an intact skull?

5b45df3305208_s-l1600(7).jpg.ba24cac15880216e94babe476c280579.jpg

A 2" Daspletosaurus offered without any locality.  Impossible to distinguish between different tyrannosaurids and without locality who knows what it is.

s-l400.jpg.35f1b158356fab02dbc5ce9c534b0c01.jpg

Triceratops vertebra  from the Hell Creek being offered.  Its not ceratopsian but from an Edmontosaurus which are caudals more rectangular, box shaped.  Ceratopsian are oval.

5b45e2a33ed90_s-l1600(8).thumb.jpg.3bd35e3e030f2f864fc766157c5351b6.jpg

A rare Pachycephalosaurus claw being offered. Wow thought yesterday's Tyranno tooth was an awful resto job only to be surpassed by this one.  Looks like most of the claw has been restored to something not Pachy.  Avoid....

5b45e39600f38_s-l400(2).jpg.e2693ce19347137d447237c69ab30d9e.jpg

A Giganotosaurus tooth from Argentina is being offered for sale, wow.  I know a lot of collectors will want to jump on to this tooth.  Caution for a number of reasons.  First it was illegal exported, collected in 2014.   Second if you need one is that the seller has no locality information and because of that its difficult to determine what Dinosaur its from.  Multiple Carcharodontosaurids are present in Argentina.  Although the tooth has some appearance of a Carch without additional photos hard to conclusively say its one.

5b45e4aa9d5fc_s-l400(3).jpg.70135b59aac242327abe315c654cd1fd.jpg

Those Pterosaur bones almost do form the shape of the skull, but it's just coincidence. Still a very cool piece. 

16 minutes ago, Bone guy said:

Those Pterosaur bones almost do form the shape of the skull, but it's just coincidence. Still a very cool piece. 

Oh yea Im sure thats why he called it a skull.  It indeed is very nice

Just for laughs a bird head, beak with neck and wow with a tongue...one of a kind. :doh!:

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.0a8ac399b32d5e686341b3a57e4a1724.jpg

16 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Just for laughs a bird head, beak with neck and wow with a tongue...one of a kind. :doh!:

The only one in existence! :D 

On that tooth from Argentina other than it being illegal to purchase be reminded that it's unknown where it was found.  Seller responded to me with a formation but all he had to do is look up where Giganotosaurus was described.  It was not included in the original listing.  He also indicated he did not know where it came from. 

Typical of material sold from Argentina, see my post.

I'm thinking the Giganotosaurus tooth is a morrocan Carcharodontosaurus tooth being passed for unknowingly(or sneakily knowingly for extra $$$) as a Giganotosaurus. The preservation let alone sand on it even reminds me of the matrix commonly seen on morrocan Carcharodontosaurus teeth. To bad there isn't really anything online to compare it to as far as legitimate Giganotosaurus teeth but a plethora to compare it with as far as morrocan Carcharodontosaurus teeth, so that's definitely something to keep in mind in my opinion of course.

18 minutes ago, Ryann10006 said:

I'm thinking the Giganotosaurus tooth is a morrocan Carcharodontosaurus tooth being passed for unknowingly(or sneakily knowingly for extra $$$) as a Giganotosaurus. The preservation let alone sand on it even reminds me of the matrix commonly seen on morrocan Carcharodontosaurus teeth. To bad there isn't really anything online to compare it to as far as legitimate Giganotosaurus teeth but a plethora to compare it with as far as morrocan Carcharodontosaurus teeth, so that's definitely something to keep in mind in my opinion of course.

Of course thats possible why its always good practice to purchase from known sources.  That preservation is found in teeth from all over the world so anything is possible.  Unfortunately most papers are in B/W and we cannot get a good color view.

7 hours ago, Ryann10006 said:

That was my first thought also. It looks very much like a Carch tooth in color and matrix but like you said, there isn't alot to compare it with. I do have a life size picture of a Giganoto tooth from an old National Geographic and a nice cast tooth and Carch teeth and Giganotosaurus teeth look virtually identical so there is a very real possibility it could be real. If this tooth was being sold by a respected reputable dealer it would be one thing but this guy seems a little clueless.   

7 hours ago, Ryann10006 said:

@Troodon Unfortunately, but the biggest red flag of them all would be the legality issue.

I've always been a little confused on this. Argentina has made it illegal to sell or export their fossils but once it gets to the United States are there any American laws that make it illegal for us to buy it?  

1 hour ago, Dracorex_hogwartsia said:

I've always been a little confused on this. Argentina has made it illegal to sell or export their fossils but once it gets to the United States are there any American laws that make it illegal for us to buy it?  

No confusion they are illegal to sell and buy just like Mongolian fossils and fossils might be confiscated and returned to Argentina.  Sellers might face legal action.

On 12.7.2018 at 4:00 AM, Troodon said:

No confusion they are illegal to sell and buy just like Mongolian fossils and fossils might be confiscated and returned to Argentina.  Sellers might face legal action.

Same with most of chinese material, too.

Archived