Fossildude19

Summer is in full swing, here in the Northern Hemisphere. 

Heat, sun, mosquitos, spiders, scorpions, ticks, chiggers, snakes, and wildlife of all sorts are a 

daily part of the fossil hunting .

Be safe out there, but go get some nice fossils for the contest. 
The older you get, the faster the summer goes! ;) 

*********************************************************************************************

Remember...PLEASE carefully read ALL of the rules below, ... make sure you 

include all the required informationIN THE REQUESTED FORMAT

and submit your fossil! 

If you have a question about a possible entry, please send me a PM. 

Please pay special attention to Rule #5: 

Before and After Preparation photos must be submitted for prepped specimens NOT found during the Month of the Contest.

In addition to keeping the contest fair, this new qualification will encourage better documentation of our spectacular past finds.

Best of success to all, and good hunting!

Entries will be taken until 11:59:59 PM EDT on JULY 31, 2018

Any fossil submitted after that time, even if the thread is still open, will be deemed ineligible! 

Please let us know if you have any questions, and thanks for sharing more of your fossils and research this month.

To view the Winning Fossils from past contests visit the Find Of The Month Winner's Gallery.

Rules for The Fossil Forum's Vertebrate and Invertebrate/Plant Find of the Month Contests

1. You find a great Vertebrate Fossil or Invertebrate/Plant Fossil! Only fossils found by you. NO PURCHASED FOSSILS.
2. Post your entry in the Find of the Month topic. Use a separate post for each entry. (Only two entries per contest category.)
3. Your Fossil must have been found during the Month of the Contest,

or Significant Preparation * of your Fossil must have been completed during the Month of the Contest.
4. You must include the Date of your Discovery (when found in the contest month); or the Date of Preparation Completion and Discovery date (if not found in the contest month).
5. Before and After Preparation photos must be submitted for prepped specimens not found during the Month of the Contest.

Please make sure you arrange for photos if someone else is preparing your fossil find and completes the prep requirements in the contest month.
6. You must include the common or scientific name.
7. You must include the Geologic Age or Geologic Formation where the Fossil was found.
8. You must include the State, Province, or region where the Fossil was found.
9. Play fair and honest. No bought fossils. No false claims.

Shortly after the end of the Month, separate Polls will be created for the Vertebrate and Invertebrate/Plant Find of the Month.

In addition to the fun of a contest, we also want to learn more about the fossils. 

Tell us more about your fossil, and why you think it is worthy of the honor. 

*******Please use the following format for the required information:*******

Date of discovery

Scientific or Common name

Geologic Age or Geologic Formation

State, Province, or Region found

Photos  of find:(if prepped, before and after photos, please.)

Limit - 4 photos, please.

Only entries posted with a CLEAR photo and that meet the other guidelines will be placed into the Poll. 

Photos of the winning specimens may be posted to TFF's Facebook page.

Once the Contest Submission period has ended, after all the votes are tallied, and the Polls for both categories are closed, we will know the two winning Finds of the Month for JULY 2018 !  

Now, go find your fossil, do your research, and make an entry!

Good luck! :D

Significant preparation" ( ie: substantial, a revealing and/or repairing of important diagnostic features, resulting in a dramatic change in the look of the fossil. ) The qualification of significant preparation is decided at the discretion of staff. Any doubts as to the eligibility of the entry will be discussed directly with the entrant.

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

• Fossildude19 featured this topic

I will start the July Invertebrate Finds off.

Though the below species is considered "common" in Mazon Creek Essex Fauna, this is the most "sexy" example that I have ever found, and the concretions split open very nicely.

NAME OF FOSSIL:                                                Cyclus americanus

YEAR CONCRETION WAS COLLECTED:           1999

DATE CONCRETION WAS OPENED:                  7-4-2018

LOCATION FOUND:                                               Braceville Shaft Mine-  Braceville, Illinois (Mazon Creek)

AGE OF FOSSIL:                                                    Francis Creek Shale / Middle Pennsylvanian 

IMG_7345.thumb.jpg.558666e809b7e7f171a8dc9605120440.jpgIMG_7346.thumb.jpg.47e4ea6d803c4643366411215cd8f516.jpg

BANG! And we're off.

I have to say I had to look this up and your example looks better than most of the images I found for it. :dinothumb:

Still not something I would want crawling up my swim trunks.

12 minutes ago, caldigger said:

BANG! And we're off.

I have to say I had to look this up and your example looks better than most of the images I found for it. :dinothumb:

Still not something I would want crawling up my swim trunks.

Ditto on the swim trunks and other pics of this little guy.

This is believed to be the first example of Orthacanthus to be found from this region. 

Found 7-1-18

LaSalle County, IL

Upper Pennsylvanian

Orthacanthus sp. 

20180710_222611_1531280659138.thumb.jpg.569e14f12f7686aa1b0c5b74d6423778.jpg

20180702_170146_1530632062553.thumb.jpg.acc194e20d03da8a020526e761092d09.jpg

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

...and Illinois is well represented in this World Cup (er, I mean FOTM) competition. :P

Two great entries to get this month started. I think the Cyclus is so well preserved because the nodule was collected shortly after it formed--1999? Jeez, that's persistent dedication.

Looking forward to what else this month has in store for us but already I'm liking how this month's competition is starting out.

Cheers.

-Ken

1 hour ago, digit said:

and Illinois is well represented in this World Cup (er, I mean FOTM) competition. :P

I have one more thing from Illinois for this category that I opened on 7-1, but am holding off until the end of the month, just in case I crack something better open.

My submission is this rare trilobite:

Pseudodechenella lucasensis 

Found July 8, 2018

Prep completed July 9, 2018

Restoration completed July 12, 2018

Found, prepped, and restored by me.

Silica Shale, Paulding, Ohio

Middle Devonian: Givetian

As found:

Resized_20180709_005112_7686.thumb.jpeg.3f1046c4baadcae46519e57cd92a422c.jpeg

After prep:

Resized_20180712_231952_128.thumb.jpeg.967363773b8688003aa675bd64e832e7.jpeg

After restoration:

Resized_20180712_231745_8534.thumb.jpeg.4ab0b3952a881419d14d0dcf54722392.jpeg

Does every collector have an (innate?)ability to,so to speak,"see beyond the matrix"?

Did you immediately realize "hang on,there might be more to this than its superficial appearance?"

57 minutes ago, doushantuo said:

Does every collector have an (innate?)ability to,so to speak,"see beyond the matrix"?

Did you immediately realize "hang on,there might be more to this than its superficial appearance?"

I wish :).  With trilobites, if I see a pygidium or a cephalon which has even one thoracic segment attached (and going into the matrix), I collect it for further examination in the lab.  Isolated cephalons and pygidia rarely have any thoracic segments attached.  So if they do, there's a good chance for a complete trilo.

Some nice fossils here already!

I also want to participate this month.

The fossil was found by me two years ago in the visitor quarry Kromer near Holzmaden and was prepped by Roger Furze ( @Ludwigia ). So its a team work :D
On the piece you can see a disarticulated Ichthyosaur skull with some ribs and vertebrae. You can see one eyehole very good, although the eye itself isnt preserved. Isolated bones are not that rare in Holzmaden but such pieces are very rare !
At the maximum the piece is about 24 cm long.

Found: 14 August 2016
Finished prep: 10 July 2018 (the prep work took about 12 hours)
Ichthyosaur skull bones, ribs and vertebrae (it could be either a young one or a Stenopterygius)

Unprepped:

2.thumb.JPG.252df018a8219a4126ab52e776ae5929.JPG

Prepped:

1.thumb.JPG.274f8d0287518338f36e3d7686d9c323.JPG

1677.thumb.JPG.d6af3b2bb9615d0ed2225aa649e64721.JPG

The eyehole:

2.thumb.JPG.63d79d8013067be001b0450c7b34fccf.JPG

Many greetings from Germany ! Have a great time with many fossils :)

Regards Sebastian

Belo.gif

Thats gonna be hard to top!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Hopes are not high for the win, but my first entry this month is a uncommon find, and more uncommon for its location.

Friday the 13th, July, 2018

Thecachampsa sericodon

Choptank Formation, Early to Mid Miocene

Matoaka Beach, Calvert County, Maryland, USA

6AB06CB3-CCA8-4219-8E9C-1A05FD18A153.jpeg

05767E01-059B-409A-BFB9-FBB76440E5FF.jpeg

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Some amazing finds this month. The entry this month is my first ever self collected plant fossil. Approximately 9cm in length. 

7th of July, 2018

Laurus Leaf

Unknown Formation, Mid Eocene

Bacchus Marsh, Victoria, Australia

IMG_0130.JPG

Lovely competition so far!

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

The below concretion is one that I was going to put aside and Freeze / Thaw over the Winter. Right before I separated it out, I decided to try and crack it open; I was glad that I did, a beautiful example of a Coelacanth emerged after being collected over 20 years ago.

NAME OF FOSSIL:                                                Rhabdoderma exiguum (Coelacanth)

YEAR CONCRETION WAS COLLECTED:           5-1998

DATE CONCRETION WAS OPENED:                  7-16-2018

LOCATION FOUND:                                               Braceville Shaft Mine-  Braceville, Illinois (Mazon Creek)

AGE OF FOSSIL:                                                    Francis Creek Shale / Middle Pennsylvanian 

IMG_7538.thumb.jpg.9df3a708acd707eb54e5d3b958df8821.jpg

IMG_7513.jpg.d42bac1d92afe2eabdffa20843151495.jpgIMG_7512.jpg.660056808e5ba608c2440a571ce6b9a4.jpg

Holy Moly, Ralph!!! That's just amazing ...........and not fair! Lol

Congratulations on the rare find. 

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

37 minutes ago, fossilized6s said:

Holy Moly, Ralph!!! That's just amazing ...........and not fair! Lol

Congratulations on the rare find. 

Thanks, I was very happy with this find.

Archived