22 hours ago, cavemanfl said:

Found July 7, 2018

Prepped and consolidation complete July 15, 2018

Colombian Mammoth (Mammuthus columbi) 

Pleistocene 

Found in creek bank in Bone Valley Florida

20180718_171722.jpg

20180718_171509.jpg

Humm caveman, I think it might be geologic suggestive material. You'd best send it to me for varification. :P

I can already tell Vert category is rock hard (get it?) competition this month. Good Lord, how are we supposed to choose?

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

17 minutes ago, MeargleSchmeargl said:

I can already tell Vert category is rock hard competition this month. Good Lord, how are we supposed to choose?

Ya, usually the inverts take the lead till the last quarter of the month before the vertebrates come out of hiding.

This month we're about equal on entries.

There will be some hard choices to make.

1 minute ago, caldigger said:

Ya, usually the inverts take the lead till the last quarter of the month before the vertebrates come out of hiding.

This month we're about equal on entries.

There will be some hard choices to make.

It's a good thing the place I wanna go is more invert-oriented. :P

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

1 minute ago, MeargleSchmeargl said:

It's a good thing the place I wanna go is more invert-oriented. :P

So it's inverted? :rofl:

1 minute ago, caldigger said:

So it's inverted? :rofl:

Quite so! :P

Has anyone ever won two months in a row? A possibility this month!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

18 minutes ago, FossilDAWG said:

So this month's competition is now officially INSANE!

It is a spectacular feast, which is our ulterior motive (beyond community-building) for putting on this show every month ;)

Not too many public museums around with a new and stunning fossil display every month!

Laissez les bons fossiles rouler!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

22 hours ago, cavemanfl said:

Prepped and consolidation complete July 15, 2018

Colombian Mammoth (Mammuthus columbi) 

Pleistocene 

Found in creek bank in Bone Valley Florida

That is spectacular.  Florida you say?  Hmmmmm not that far from me :)

Everything is generated through your own will power ~ Ray Bradbury

Yup. Florida!

I find mammoth molar fragments every single time I'm out in the Peace River sifting through gravel (and usually mastodon as well). Most of the pieces though are so small as to only be recognizable by someone who has seem more complete teeth. Finding larger chunks as big as a single loop of enamel are much less common and pieces big enough to be called "chunks" are quite rare. Most of the folks that I know who hunt the rivers and creeks in Florida very consistently have managed to find some nice partials or are even luckier to find a complete (or mostly so) tooth. The specimen entered in this month's competition is in the top percent of the finds coming from Florida--if only for the gorgeous color (most teeth that have been in the river for some time are brown/black).

So come on down to Florida and try your luck at pulling out the next mammoth molar (just be prepared to spend lots of time down here). :)

Cheers.

-Ken

22 minutes ago, digit said:

So come on down to Florida and try your luck at pulling out the next mammoth molar (just be prepared to spend lots of time down here). :)

I just might call you up sometime and see if I can tag along.  Louisiana is practically next door :)

I imagine you do a lot of winter collecting down there?

This concretion opened on 7-1-18 is an example why Mazon Creek is such a great fossil locality- the great preservation of soft bodied fauna.

NAME OF FOSSIL:                                                Didontogaster cordylina     "Tummy Tooth Worm- with Jaws Preserved"

YEAR CONCRETION WAS COLLECTED:           April / May 2000

DATE CONCRETION WAS OPENED:                  7-1-2018

LOCATION FOUND:                                               Braceville Shaft Mine-  Braceville, Illinois (Mazon Creek)

AGE OF FOSSIL:                                                    Francis Creek Shale / Middle Pennsylvanian 

IMG_6868.thumb.jpg.64c41823ae91e792ab86de055b9739c0.jpgIMG_6931.jpg.ba28cd32bc36b8a0625ce2fec8671053.jpgIMG_6933.jpg.b4a542665e4db30adc211cdb17ac206f.jpgIMG_6932.jpg.7239af5b5b54b777ec4720d226a98ea0.jpg

Arrow points to its jaws.

5b51667b961a3_IMG_6964(2).thumb.jpg.33d05d15e94145e56eec6dfec1e91d54.jpg

I found another very rare thing this month. A well preserved crocodile tooth from Solnhofen! It was my first visit there so I think I had a lot of luck :D

A collector, who is often in that area said to me that a Caturus (a big predatory fish) is more common than such a tooth.  

The prep work took about 1 hour with a needle.

Found: 7 July 2018

Steneosaurus tooth

Age:  Solnhofen Plattenkalk, or Solnhofen Limestone (Upper Jurassic)

Krokodilzahn.thumb.JPG.6314f332683a6546946f9a166fa454f9.JPG

Krokodilzahn02.thumb.JPG.bcc4f51b115784b5ded53ce70441f1f4.JPG

Why I only find vertebrates?? :headscratch::P

Many greetings from Germany ! Have a great time with many fossils :)

Regards Sebastian

Belo.gif

Just a humble tooth compared to the fine specimens posted before but here’s my first entry.

Found: 17 July

Species: Scapanorynchus Texanus (lateral tooth)

Formation: Navisink

e8rgMU.jpg

tovPGP.jpg

4HVkoU.jpg

One more for the show ....

Date of discovery : July 9th 2018

Scientific or Common name : Capybara ( Neochoerus pinckneyi )

Geologic Age or Geologic Formation : Pleistocene

State, Province, or Region found : Savannah River, GA

Specimen is 3.75in long

37205006_10215432018781139_6948058892131631104_o.thumb.jpg.4e2b9ecc96820849357d6b9f721d6448.jpg

Some awesome stuff this month! 

Here's my entry: 

Collected on the 17th of July 2018

Cowralepis mclachlani (a phyllolepid placoderm)

Middle Devonian 

Merriganowry Shale Member 

West of Cowra, NSW Australia

IMG_1822.thumb.JPG.fa0c5f2092a358a92da4ba3c78cb3c48.JPGIMG_1823.thumb.JPG.61f15d93c6ff3e3c45da1182809a5beb.JPGIMG_1825.thumb.JPG.83a692bb9bd30c4f857340cdad2e9716.JPG

I don't know if a lowly snail has ever won FOTM, but this one is the nicest Cretaceous snail I have collected.  It is also significantly larger than the holotype (144 mm, vs ~100 mm), and better preserved.  It was collected on an organized trip to the famous Coon Creek formation at the Coon Creek Science Center.

Date of discovery:  June 23, 2018

Scientific or Common name:  Fusimilis proxima (Wade); snail (Gastropoda: Turridae)

Geologic Age or Geologic Formation: Coon Creek Formation, Late Cretaceous (Campanian)

State, Province, or Region found: Coon Creek Science Center, Adamsville, Tennessee USA

Prep was begun July 8, 2018.

Finished July 18, 2018 (Photo taken July 21)

"In hand" photo added to give better idea of the size.  For the curious I don't have unusually tiny hands, I wear size medium gloves.

Fusimilis pre.jpg

Fusimilis 1.jpg

Fusimilis 2.jpg

Fusimilis hand.jpg

Wow. Lowly snail that is not. :envy:

Crazy good finds this month, congrats everyone!

I would like to enter my Cretaceous crab carapace from Monmouth County, New Jersey. It is currently being studied and the leading candidates so far are chondromaia antiqua Feldmann and Distefania lauginigeri. Both species are represented by only a few specimens and this should be the most complete example known of whichever it ends up being.

Date of find - 7/14/18

Scientific or Common name : Crab carapace

Geologic Age or Geologic Formation : Cretaceous

State, Province, or Region found : Monmouth County NJ, USA

crabnew.jpg

crab5.jpg

alien.jpg

c.jpg

Not only are there spectacular finds, but so many already and the month is only 2/3 over. Usually we get an onslot of entry's at the eleventh hour. 

This month they started flying out the starting gate.

Gonna have to sharpen up my dart for this month's choices.

With this many strong entries it is indeed going to be another dartboard decision. Can't wait to see what the remainder of this month brings.

Cheers.

-Ken

Archived