Fossildude19

On 7/22/2018 at 4:39 PM, Foozil said:

Some awesome stuff this month! 

Here's my entry: 

Collected on the 17th of July 2018

Cowralepis mclachlani (a phyllolepid placoderm)

Middle Devonian 

Merriganowry Shale Member 

West of Cowra, NSW Australia

IMG_1822.thumb.JPG.fa0c5f2092a358a92da4ba3c78cb3c48.JPGIMG_1823.thumb.JPG.61f15d93c6ff3e3c45da1182809a5beb.JPGIMG_1825.thumb.JPG.83a692bb9bd30c4f857340cdad2e9716.JPG

Wow... :envy:

That is an amazing find! Definitely getting my vote. Was that found on a trip with the fossil club?

2 minutes ago, DanKurek said:

Wow... :envy:

That is an amazing find! Definitely getting my vote. Was that found on a trip with the fossil club?

Thanks Dan! This was just a side trip, not with the club :) 

@Foozil

Thanks! Any chance you could PM me the locality? I would love to check the place out. But if it is a secret site then I understand :P

2 minutes ago, DanKurek said:

@Foozil

Thanks! Any chance you could PM me the locality? I would love to check the place out. But if it is a secret site then I understand :P

PM sent (in a sec)

It's OK, we've rigged it so Dan's PMs go to all the forum members. You've just shared the location with 200 thousand of your closest friends, but we won't tell!

• I found this Informative 3

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

On 7/22/2018 at 2:39 AM, Foozil said:

Cowralepis mclachlani (a phyllolepid placoderm)

:faint:

oh my! That’s an awesome specimen! Nice job:dinothumb:

Voting just doesn’t get easier does it?

• I found this Informative 1

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

1 hour ago, caldigger said:

It's OK, we've rigged it so Dan's PMs go to all the forum members. You've just shared the location with 200 thousand of your closest friends, but we won't tell!

Yay:yay-smiley-1:

:P

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Ok, now I'm REALLY glad I'm not looking for a vertebrate this month. I wouldn't stand a chance with this competition! :o

How will I ever choose?

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

3 minutes ago, MeargleSchmeargl said:

Ok, now I'm REALLY glad I'm not looking for a vertebrate this month. I wouldn't stand a chance with this competition! :o

How will I ever choose?

I know you did not really mean your comment this way, but no-one should go looking for fossils with the intent of winning FOTM.  Everyone who enters is a winner, as they have found a fossil they think is special, and they will get to keep that fossil forever.  The FOTM contest is a fun way of showing off your best finds, and everybody gets to enjoy a museum cabinet full of great finds every month.  

Don

• I found this Informative 8

Fabulous finds this month! Congrats to everyone :) It's gonna be a tough choice come beginning August..

• I found this Informative 2

Opalised fossils are the best: a wonderful mix between paleontology and mineralogy!

Q. Where do dinosaurs study?

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

I found this on a guided walk through Dinosaur Provincial Park in Alberta, Canada. 22/7/18. 

The guide said it was one of the best that she has seen. The tip is incredible. I spotted it totally loose on the surface as i was walking along! 

As this is a UNESCO World Heritage Site, i handed it over to the park and it will be displayed by them either at the visitor centre or as part of the tours that they take people on. I left my details as well so that i'll still receive credit as the finder in their catalogue!

Found on 7/22/2018

Tyrannosaur tooth.

Gorgosaurus or Daspletosaurus.

Campanian (about 75 Ma).

Dinosaur Park Formation, Alberta. 

IMG_7308.JPG.8a5cd8dc4766b956022aa7141f62b2c4.JPG

IMG_7303.JPG.4adc7123b86868d93a9a74aeb541f2e8.JPG

IMG_7309.JPG.a1b3fbb1b60b5dc73290287487f7d048.JPG

IMG_7301.JPG.d4f41f3f50713d81dec3109892c21f11.JPG

• I found this Informative 10

"In Africa, one can't help becoming caught up in the spine-chilling excitement of the hunt. Perhaps, it has something to do with a memory of a time gone by, when we were the prey, and our nights were filled with darkness..."

-Eternal Enemies: Lions And Hyenas

wow!  Well spotted! :yay-smiley-1:

Everything is generated through your own will power ~ Ray Bradbury

Magnificent tooth @Paleoworld-101!

Happy hunting,

Mason

Enamel is rather well preserved, so are the carinae - and the apex is complete.. That's a wonderful tooth! Congrats for finding it! BTW, you just made my voting choice for VFOTM a little more challenging ;)

@ynot is right - it does count as a contribution to paleontology.

Congrats again :)

Opalised fossils are the best: a wonderful mix between paleontology and mineralogy!

Q. Where do dinosaurs study?

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

I'll admit that I was a bit troubled when I read the first line of your post stating where you had discovered this magnificent tooth. Then I read that you did the right thing and have not only the honor of finding a remarkable tooth but knowing that it will likely be displayed in the park with your name as the discoverer. Many a lesser man might have been tempted to let such an item slip into a pocket unnoticed. Glad that our membership thinks and acts differently.

:yay-smiley-1:

Cheers.

-Ken

P.S.: You should post this to the contributions topic where we log all of the finds that have found their way into public collections:

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/46099-contributions-to-paleontology-the-gallery-post-your-donations-here/

10 hours ago, Paleoworld-101 said:

I found this on a guided walk through Dinosaur Provincial Park in Alberta, Canada. 22/7/18. 

Tyrannosaur tooth.

Gorgosaurus or Daspletosaurus.

Campanian (about 75 Ma).

Dinosaur Park Formation, Alberta. 

Oh man ... I know what I'm voting for this month !

Cheers,

B

Everyone else pack up and go home, @Paleoworld-101 Nathan that is an exceptionally beautiful tooth well spotted mate.

I hope this is just one of many you find on your dig.

Ok this is my first submission for FotM so I hope this is correct format.  

We are visiting my mom in Port Elgin and we spent the day at the beach.  First rockbed we walked past, I found a piece of horn coral that has druzy inclusions.  We found a few more pieces after that.  If anyone can correct the info, I would greatly appreciate it. 

Date of discovery: July 25, 2018

Scientific or Common name: horn coral (sorry I don’t know scientific)

Geologic Age or Geologic Formation: unsure

State, Province, or Region found: South Hampton Beach, Ontario

4B309FA4-23EA-4A7E-8678-F94EBADC57F0.jpeg

1A36F437-4AF0-4C68-A773-DF11CDE2A737.jpeg

A976AE71-AAE6-4A24-9D81-D05645FA13B6.jpeg

• I found this Informative 2

7 minutes ago, VTinNorthAB said:

Ok this is my first submission for FotM so I hope this is correct format.  

We are visiting my mom in Port Elgin and we spent the day at the beach.  First rockbed we walked past, I found a piece of horn coral that has druzy inclusions.  We found a few more pieces after that.  If anyone can correct the info, I would greatly appreciate it. 

Date of discovery: July 25, 2018

Scientific or Common name: horn coral (sorry I don’t know scientific)

Geologic Age or Geologic Formation: unsure

State, Province, or Region found: South Hampton Beach, Ontario

2ECADD3E-E2FB-407E-89D6-C3E73F06DE6D.jpeg

9C7AFF4C-1F02-4F9C-A38E-38EA03F40107.jpeg

EEC9DD64-822D-472E-AA61-5E9D51EE4A93.jpeg

Images didn't load in. 

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

2 minutes ago, MeargleSchmeargl said:

Images didn't load in. 

Did I work?  I’m on limited wifi so not sure

3 minutes ago, VTinNorthAB said:

It's all good now. :D

13 minutes ago, VTinNorthAB said:

I can see them. :) The entry format is good, although it looks like Albertans are running away with our corals. :D The area you collected from is typically upper Silurian, but there are also some Devonian deposits that get drifted. You're not that far from Kincardine... A really nice part of the world. Head down south a bit more to visit Bayfield, Ontario's "west coast" :D 

• I found this Informative 3

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

16 hours ago, Brett Breakin' Rocks said:

I know what I'm voting for this month !

Your doing better then me! So many fossils, only one vote...

Happy hunting,

Mason