Old Seabed Fossils of Some Sort.

MartianColony

I found this and many others in a stream near Dayton, Ohio. Its a piece of old seabed and contains dozens of fossils. I'm a VERY novice fossil hunter so I could use some help identifying everything that's going on with this one. I found a lot more at this location, if you want to see more, just let me know.  Also let me know if you would like more photos of this one.

Thank you to all who reply! :)

20180711_150907.thumb.jpg.7225d9fcc6fc478e85015e295b210656.jpg

Neat find. This is what we colloquially call a "hash plate" because it is, well, a bit of a hash! Judging by how busy it is and the many disarticulated bits, it may have been a high energy environment. It's a little like the area was put in a blender and set on puree. :D In actual fact, it is usually the result of storm/wave action that works and reworks the sea floor and all the dead critters deposited there.

What dominates here would be the most intact items - brachiopods. There is likely also bryozoan pieces and other broken bits. I am guessing it would be Ordovician (or possibly Devonian) in age.

If there are specific parts you'd like to see identified, a close-up of those would be lovely. :) 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

17 minutes ago, Kane said:

am guessing it would be Ordovician (or possibly Devonian) in age.

Could also be Silurian. Need solid IDs to establish age.

Welcome from the forum from MD!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Kane is spot on. 

20180711_150907.jpg.5853027cc9d59ad6ce82ebd299755207.jpg

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

Me likey!

Looks like Cincinnati Arch material. If so, it would be Ordovician.

The fossils could probably be cleaned-up by scrubbing with a nylon scrub brush under running water. Try this on a scrap piece first, though!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I agree with what everybody has said, except that there is a specimen of an encrusting coral, Protarea richmondensis, on one of the brachiopods.

Don

Ohio hash plate.jpg

12 minutes ago, FossilDAWG said:

I agree with what everybody has said, except that there is a specimen of an encrusting coral, Protarea richmondensis, on one of the brachiopods.

Don

I was wondering what that was. I also see a few rings from a crinoid columnal. 

Hashplate.jpg

Wow, it really gives a sense of the ecosystem that existed at the time. Later today I'll post pictures of more of the fossils I found at the site , that way we can see what else was there. Thank you everybody! 

Archived