Low Country Fossil Hunting

SummervilleMom

Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone could offer advice on fossil hunting in the low country area (South Carolina) My 8 year old has really found an interest in it and I am his ride. (Lol) I am not looking for anyone to give up their secret spots (if you have suggestions, GREAT), but rather what is a good start for both of us? Unfortunately I will be deploying in a few weeks, so trying to get as much time in as I can. The bright side is that I will be able to research it more while I am gone. ANY advice would be much appreciated.

SN: We have been to Saw Mill Branch twice, but after reading more into it... the law seems pretty iffy and I don't want to take any chances.

I saw about the crack down on fossil teeth collectors when I did a "fossil hunting in South Carolina" search. There were also a lot of sites about where to hunt, etc. I'm not from your area, but hopefully someone with more personal experience there will chime in.

"Journey through a universe ablaze with changes" Phil Ochs

2 hours ago, SummervilleMom said:

Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone could offer advice on fossil hunting in the low country area (South Carolina) My 8 year old has really found an interest in it and I am his ride. (Lol) I am not looking for anyone to give up their secret spots (if you have suggestions, GREAT), but rather what is a good start for both of us? Unfortunately I will be deploying in a few weeks, so trying to get as much time in as I can. The bright side is that I will be able to research it more while I am gone. ANY advice would be much appreciated.

SN: We have been to Saw Mill Branch twice, but after reading more into it... the law seems pretty iffy and I don't want to take any chances.

If you have a small child I would hit Folly beach first since the season is great and it is cooler down by the water.  Low tide of course .. Next you may want to try Northbridge Park in Charleston ... which I haven't personally been to but it consistently has some great vertebrate fossils.  It is muddy and you will need some protection for your feet, so hit it at low tide and show us what you find !!  Again, much more accessible for smaller children.

Another option is for a guided tour and Ashby Gale is a knowledgeable paleontologist in the area and runs Charleston Fossil Adventures LLC.

PS. Join the The Palmetto Paleontological Society on Facebook.  A great group that has a good bit of activity from locals.  Annnd .. it has a great reputation with Ashby and Bobby Boessenecker at the helm so you may actually learn something.  Not as many "Is this rock a fossil ?" posts that we get on the TFF FB page.  Which is also nice.

I cannot help with site info, but I did want to Welcome you to the Forum,  and Thank You, for your service. :) 

Kind regards,

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

3 hours ago, SummervilleMom said:

ANY advice would be much appreciated.

More Folly beach hunting information ... from the Mace Brown Museum of Natural History

https://blogs.cofc.edu/macebrownmuseum/2017/02/03/friday-fossil-feature-it-would-be-folly-to-pass-this-site-up/

Beach nourishment projects coming up ...

http://www.sac.usace.army.mil/Media/News-Releases/Article/1547074/charleston-district-awards-myrtle-beach-storm-damage-reduction-project-contract/

Cheers,

Brett

You all are great! We were actually looking for a fossil hunting group to meet with so thank you so much! Here is what we have found so far and we didn’t go with any tools (as I read it was a big no no) Most were broken, but we were definitely excited! We will try Folly Beach and North Bridge. Thank you all for the warm welcome and advice! :)

FF934EA0-6E51-4E40-9624-2CDEA37A27E3.jpeg

Archived