Help! Which Abrasive Media should I use?

SPiazza

I just purchased a Badger Air-Brush Co. 260-1, but from the looks of the previous posts the abrasive media that comes with it is junk. I'm going to try to use it on the top "rough part" of Meg Teeth that I get out of Venice. I've tried the vinegar and dental picks, but I don't like the color bleaching that can happen, nor can I get into every single crack with a dental pick on encrusted teeth. What do you guys recommend for me to try with this brush?  Here's an example of what we normally pull out of the ocean before any cleaning.

36686072_10156427169019061_5541444484077715456_o.jpg

I'm not sure if abrasives are what is normally used on megs. In this case, all of the coralline algae should just scrape off pretty easily, especially on the enamel where its smooth. On one of the broken ones I would try a razor blade and scrape almost parallel with the enamel and see if the algae comes off without scratching the enamel surface

I have been scraping away but always leaves coraline in the cracks. See the ones I scraped below. I was reading fine Walnut shell has an hardness of 4-5. Calcite has a hardness of 3. So I'd think that material would work good if it can get blown through the air eraser ok?

thoughts?

teeth.jpg

Start with sodium bicarbonate (Which should work fine on these), only go to aluminum oxide if the bicarbonate isn't abrasive enough. Plenty of threads on the forum as to where to purchase these materials. Good luck!

Archived