Alabama veggies?

MeargleSchmeargl

So, I'm looking to get a good week-ish long trip in before July. Can't head out to Green River as planned, so I have to stick to the southeast. I have heard quite a bit about Pennsylvanian plants from 'bama, so I've decided to take a trip there while I have the chance. Any pointers as to good localities? :plant:

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

3 hours ago, MeargleSchmeargl said:

So, I'm looking to get a good week-ish long trip in before July. 

I don't know if you kids these days ever look at calender, but...

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

1 minute ago, caldigger said:

:rofl:

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

7 hours ago, caldigger said:

During July* :shrug:

Think I was trying to say before the end of July. Ah well.

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

8 hours ago, caldigger said:

Calender?  :headscratch:

Kidding of course.  Good luck on your trip whenever you go and based on whatever calendar or calender you use to plan your trip!

Alabama humidity: Too thick to breathe. Too thin to drink.

Context is critical.

@Rockin' Ric lives in Alabama. He may be able to point you in the right direction.

But if it is like other Carboniferous plant sites I’ve been to you just look for a layer of coal or black shale and give it a try. It might be within the black layer or above or below it.

11 hours ago, Missourian said:

Alabama humidity: Too thick to breathe. Too thin to drink.

:D

On 7/13/2018 at 2:00 PM, MeargleSchmeargl said:

During July* :shrug:

Think I was trying to say before the end of July. Ah well.

Well, I will say the heat doesn't scare me as much as a freak storm with lightning.  Where I am on the Savannah river I'm in full sun and completely exposed ... and can easily plow through 3 quarts of 32oz Gatorade in the 4 hours that I am out.  So stay covered .. keep hydrated and you'll be ok. If you feel uncomfortable, stop what you are doing and find a cool place to rest.

I'm also rocking a wide brimmed hat .. a long sleeved rash guard to my wrists, cargo shorts and long leggings underneath to shy away from the sun.  I've learned my lesson and no amount of reapplication of sunscreen is enough apparently.

Good Luck !

12 minutes ago, Brett Breakin' Rocks said:

Well, I will say the heat doesn't scare me as much as a freak storm with lightning.  Where I am on the Savannah river I'm in full sun and completely exposed ... and can easily plow through 3 quarts of 32oz Gatorade in the 4 hours that I am out.  So stay covered .. keep hydrated and you'll be ok. If you feel uncomfortable, stop what you are doing and find a cool place to rest.

I'm also rocking a wide brimmed hat .. a long sleeved rash guard to my wrists, cargo shorts and long leggings underneath to shy away from the sun.  I've learned my lesson and no amount of reapplication of sunscreen is enough apparently.

Good Luck !

Yeah, heat doesn't really scare me. I actually like dry heat, as it feels refreshing (but I don't like being absolutely drenched in sweat, because then I start itching all over). Being a southna myself, I've been around the heat since day one.

I also agree that a freak storm is the last thing I want to see. That'd probably be the only thing that would stop me from doing anything.

Archived