Shark Tooth Hunter

Went back down to Calvert cliffs hoping to score something good. I was hoping not to have bad luck considering its Friday the 13th! But over all I think I did alright. 

Ended up finding what I think is a fossil sand dollar, a big ole’ shark vert (even bigger for being found in Maryland), and I also included some bones from a recent trip. I’m thinking whale? But somebody probably knows better than I do... 

I’ve never found a sand dollar at the cliffs before, so i think that’s kinda cool. Maybe they’re more common than I think, but either way I’m happy with it! 

Thanks for looking,

Conor

9B538753-5533-4674-BD86-ADC3E87237C5.jpeg

B54A5CAC-C0EA-4962-BDEC-13C5403D6A97.jpeg

7C650DF4-065E-4786-8E07-FD5C73A44EB1.jpeg

3CBAE18C-5C4A-498D-A103-8CEEFD3D78ED.jpeg

57DD5AC2-4EDD-41B7-9EF6-D9F44F4B2ADB.jpeg

F4D08265-CBA5-463E-8A9D-A5DEE02C0ED9.jpeg

C8E99EFA-B527-41B4-B1F7-B15A72A6764A.jpeg

4E35712C-D070-4428-A345-0F14D1E27E96.jpeg

56 minutes ago, Trevor said:

Awesome finds! Maybe it is both Friday the 13th and opposite day, so you get good luck.

Thanks, that works for me! 

54 minutes ago, Jeffrey P said:

Congratulations. Love that sand dollar and the shark vert.

Thanks! 

58 minutes ago, Peat Burns said:

Wow, you did well.  Congrats

Thank you 

Nice shark vert and sand dollar. That is the most complete sand dollar that I have seen come from Calvert cliffs. 

Usually all that is found, is fragments.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

4 hours ago, Trevor said:

Awesome finds! Maybe it is both Friday the 13th and opposite day, so you get good luck.

The day's not over yet! :P

4 hours ago, Darktooth said:

Nice shark vert and sand dollar. That is the most complete sand dollar that I have seen come from Calvert cliffs. 

Usually all that is found, is fragments.

Yea I had no clue sand dollars could even be found there 

8 hours ago, Shark Tooth Hunter said:

Went back down to Calvert cliffs hoping to score something good. I was hoping not to have bad luck considering its Friday the 13th! But over all I think I did alright. 

Ended up finding what I think is a fossil sand dollar, a big ole’ shark vert (even bigger for being found in Maryland), and I also included some bones from a recent trip. I’m thinking whale? But somebody probably knows better than I do... 

I’ve never found a sand dollar at the cliffs before, so i think that’s kinda cool. Maybe they’re more common than I think, but either way I’m happy with it! 

Thanks for looking,

Conor

3CBAE18C-5C4A-498D-A103-8CEEFD3D78ED.jpeg

This is indeed a sand dollar. Neat! :)

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

9 hours ago, ynot said:

Nice finds!:thumbsu:

7 hours ago, Nimravis said:

Wow, some great finds, congrats.

9 hours ago, MeargleSchmeargl said:

This is indeed a sand dollar. Neat! :)

Thanks.  Had a great trip and hopefully I can get back before school. 

10 hours ago, Shark Tooth Hunter said:

Yea I had no clue sand dollars could even be found there 

The only place that I can remember finding fragments was at Flag ponds Nature Park. On one trip there, I found enough pieces to fill up a sanwich bag. I believe you can also find them at Matoaka Cottages. 

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

That sand dollar (Abertella aberti) is incredibly rare! Peices are common but they almost never find them whole! The only whole ones I’ve ever seen reside in the Calvert Marine Museum! The vert is also pretty big, bigger for not being a lamnid. Nice job:dinothumb:

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

OOOH!  love that sand dollar. I go to Calvert dreaming of finding sand dollars like that the way some folks go dreaming of Meg teeth. 

I refuse to give up my childish wonder at the world.

1 hour ago, I_gotta_rock said:

OOOH!  love that sand dollar. I go to Calvert dreaming of finding sand dollars like that the way some folks go dreaming of Meg teeth. 

Yea I had no idea how cool it really was, I’m starting to appreciate the different fossils Calvert has to offer besides shark teeth

46 minutes ago, Shark Tooth Hunter said:

Yea I had no idea how cool it really was, I’m starting to appreciate the different fossils Calvert has to offer besides shark teeth

This will give you a good idea.

I refuse to give up my childish wonder at the world.

Archived