Jump to content
Seguidora-de-Isis

Fossil Fish of Madagascar

Recommended Posts

Seguidora-de-Isis

Hello! Good night to everyone from my favorite forum! :wub:

 

I would like to know, please, if this beautiful fossil fish of Madagascar is real, but I believe it is, and of what species it is. Does anyone know in which formation, or region of Madagascar in which it was discovered?

 

 

I'm grateful for all the help! :D

 

image.thumb.png.424f05e971f55efb109c718fc1722401.png

 

image.png.cd19f04da8d12f4e53e4a90ee546ab95.png

 

image.png.368036c3599c677af6777fa8829eee79.png

 

My friend please:

@oilshale

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Troodon

Its real.  Have you looked at this guide

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Fossildude19

Hard to say, without the head and tail, but it could be Parasemionotus or Pteronisculus.  :unsure: 

Thomas may have better insight. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Seguidora-de-Isis
1 hour ago, Fossildude19 said:

Hard to say, without the head and tail, but it could be Parasemionotus or Pteronisculus.  :unsure: 

Thomas may have better insight. 

 

I may be very mistaken, but I see a head and tail at the end ... What do you think, my friend @Fossildude19? :D

 

image.png.98341082e156161d89e5b7a6d8181e64.png

 

image.png.0e5f473c01ad1c74ef2e07a2f1804d0b.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
caldigger

The head and fins are actually pretty well defined compared to many I have seen.  Not saying there is enough to ID it, but It certainly looks a lot better than the ones I have.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Crazyhen

Does it look like this one?  I saw this from a seller in China which imports quite a lot of fish fossils from Madagascar.

 

I am also wondering what species it is :headscratch:

IMG_3770.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Seguidora-de-Isis
On 15/07/2018 at 10:30 PM, Crazyhen said:

Does it look like this one?  I saw this from a seller in China which imports quite a lot of fish fossils from Madagascar.

 

I am also wondering what species it is :headscratch:

IMG_3770.JPG

 

Your fish is beautiful too! :wub:

 

In fact this fish I originally posted here, I also bought from a Chinese seller. AThe Chinese sellers are apparently importing many tonnes of these fish from Madagascar. And besides this, I also bought from him, this one:

 

image.png.8771265bb872e012fe8a0f1187966a69.png

 

image.png.e70089ed9cdf0d99553368feeb4c9e5a.png

 

 At least now I know they are real. I think they are different species, but unfortunately I do not have any kind of experience with Triassic fish. So I'll wait for our friend @oilshale. I think he can help us with identification. :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Crazyhen
11 hours ago, Seguidora-de-Isis said:

 

Your fish is beautiful too! :wub:

 

In fact this fish I originally posted here, I also bought from a Chinese seller. AThe Chinese sellers are apparently importing many tonnes of these fish from Madagascar. And besides this, I also bought from him, this one:

 

image.png.8771265bb872e012fe8a0f1187966a69.pngimage.png.e70089ed9cdf0d99553368feeb4c9e5a.png

 

 At least now I know they are real. I think they are different species, but unfortunately I do not have any kind of experience with Triassic fish. So I'll wait for our friend @oilshale. I think he can help us with identification. :D

You have a very nice fish.  Yes, Chinese traders have imported tonnes of fossils, gemstones and other natural products from Madagascar.  Other than nodule fish fossil, there are reptile fossil in nodules too, and of course polished dinosaur bones.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Seguidora-de-Isis
22 minutes ago, Crazyhen said:

You have a very nice fish.  Yes, Chinese traders have imported tonnes of fossils, gemstones and other natural products from Madagascar.  Other than nodule fish fossil, there are reptile fossil in nodules too, and of course polished dinosaur bones.

 

Oh yes, it's true, I was already forgetting my Barasaurus besairiei lizard fossil;

He was also discovered in a nodule from Madagascar! And I also bought from a merchant Chinese! ;)

 

image.thumb.png.ecd063b34903ede4512fbde071bd1751.png

 

image.png.d63f5eff8680f4e627af3f7c6b274880.png

 

 

But it is important for me to explain to you that the geological formation of Madagascar where Barasaurus besairiei is discovered and the geological formation of the fish is completely different. The fish are from the Triassic, while the Barasaurus besairiei is from the Permian Superior, with 260 Million years! :D

 

While the polished dinosaur bones cause me revolt, disgust, and the urge to vomit... They are destroying tons of sauropod bones and other species of dinosaurs in Magascar to make from ashtray... :wacko:

 

image.png.e09f8d728d03c19979b36aec8ac7c2fa.png

 

Or "more beautiful" specimens for presentation. :(

 

image.png.c802bc3e7eae3f9d99d63ea9e8fa9dcc.png

 

Destroyed bones that serve no purpose, at least not for science! :angry:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Crazyhen
1 hour ago, Seguidora-de-Isis said:

 

Oh yes, it's true, I was already forgetting my Barasaurus besairiei lizard fossil;

He was also discovered in a nodule from Madagascar! And I also bought from a merchant Chinese! ;)

 

image.thumb.png.ecd063b34903ede4512fbde071bd1751.png

 

image.png.d63f5eff8680f4e627af3f7c6b274880.png

 

 

But it is important for me to explain to you that the geological formation of Madagascar where Barasaurus besairiei is discovered and the geological formation of the fish is completely different. The fish are from the Triassic, while the Barasaurus besairiei is from the Permian Superior, with 260 Million years! :D

 

While the polished dinosaur bones cause me revolt, disgust, and the urge to vomit... They are destroying tons of sauropod bones and other species of dinosaurs in Magascar to make from ashtray... :wacko:

 

image.png.e09f8d728d03c19979b36aec8ac7c2fa.png

 

Or "more beautiful" specimens for presentation. :(

 

image.png.c802bc3e7eae3f9d99d63ea9e8fa9dcc.png

 

Destroyed bones that serve no purpose, at least not for science! :angry:

 

I am kind of having sympathy to the people of Madagascar.  The poor people may earn some money to support their living by polishing the dinosaur bones (in their eyes, it's just rock, no different from other rocks).  Of course, it destroys the scientific value of the bones.  I also got one nice vertebra of dinosaur from Madagascar and luckily it's not polished.

 

Mind you though, the dinosaur bones from Madagascar have a higher than background radiation.  I measured the radiation with a Geiger counter.  The background radiation is 0.1-0.2 (also for my Keichousaurus) but the bone from Madagascar is 1.8.

IMG_3835.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Seguidora-de-Isis
48 minutes ago, Crazyhen said:

I am kind of having sympathy to the people of Madagascar...

 

 

Wonderful and impressive vertebra! Due to the morphology, it possibly belonged to a sauropod! :o

 

Congratulations!  I had never seen a Dinosaur bone from Madagascar that had not been polished! Are there many like this that is not polished to sell in China?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RJB

Some nice lookin fish.  Most ive seen are terrible.

 

RB

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Crazyhen
On 2018/7/19 at 3:24 PM, Seguidora-de-Isis said:

 

Wonderful and impressive vertebra! Due to the morphology, it possibly belonged to a sauropod! :o

 

Congratulations!  I had never seen a Dinosaur bone from Madagascar that had not been polished! Are there many like this that is not polished to sell in China?

Most if the dinosaurs bones (or ammonites) are polished ones.  I heard that only polished ones could be imported into China.  Occasionally they have raw ones that are mixed with polished ones and got imported.  The polishing indeed destroyed the bones.  Look at the attached one, it’d be so nice if not polished.

0A0B6B6B-FEB2-4C43-B02E-F349A45A7E0A.jpeg

3E25398A-4502-4A91-A831-69F6DE4820B8.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Crazyhen

And I just saw some crab fossils from Madagascar for the first time.

EB881B8C-72BF-4F60-AC04-32F0BA372BC0.jpeg

1D8A374A-52D2-4CDE-835A-BD992FE37F6F.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bone guy

Interesting. I've never noticed the amount of polished dinosaur bones that are coming out of Madagascar. I agree that this practice is ultimately ruining some nice specimens. Just imagine all of the scientifically important bones that have been turned to ash trays.... :( 

 

As for the fish, I typically don't like their preservation. Sometimes they just look plain ugly. But the fish I see here look really nice! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Seguidora-de-Isis
3 hours ago, Crazyhen said:

And I just saw some crab fossils from Madagascar for the first time...

 

Ammonites from Madagascar, Dinosaur Bones from Madagascar, Fossil Fishs from Madagascar, Fossil Lizards from Madagascar, Fossil Turtle Eggs from Madagascar...

And now have even fossil crabs from Madagascar ??? :o

 

Beautiful crabs! :wub:

 

The thing is starting to get very interesting! :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Crazyhen
On 2018/7/21 at 9:51 AM, Seguidora-de-Isis said:

 

Ammonites from Madagascar, Dinosaur Bones from Madagascar, Fossil Fishs from Madagascar, Fossil Lizards from Madagascar, Fossil Turtle Eggs from Madagascar...

And now have even fossil crabs from Madagascar ??? :o

 

Beautiful crabs! :wub:

 

The thing is starting to get very interesting! :D

And now not just animals, tree fossils from Madagascar! Not polished!

C9BA6384-0679-451C-877C-1A5C08CDF603.jpeg

16DA9EC0-7272-414F-8D71-56E4B7F8E98D.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Seguidora-de-Isis

It is true! How could I forget the fossil woods of Madagascar? Congratulations, it is a beautiful specimen :D, and possibly is a conifer Araucária Sp. I also have one, but on a smaller scale! :wub:

 

image.png.fb2ceeb17666f0ae9ac8f14f39bfa14d.png

 

image.png.95c9864d4282459f8f7b29908ee4d25b.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Seguidora-de-Isis

image.png.aab264f3be88fad4988b1caaf33a7ae6.png

 

Good afternoon to all!  :wub:

 

If anyone here at the TFF has scientific papers, any digital PDF material about Madagascar triassic fishs and send me by PM, I am very grateful because on the internet there is simply no information at all. Thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
caldigger

20180727_104923.png

Hey Douglas, you are the one that got this fish?!   I actually had it on my watch list, but was working when the auction closed. You got it for a good price! Congrates!!

This one had good head definition, that's why I liked it.

A big hug for you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Seguidora-de-Isis
38 minutes ago, caldigger said:

Hey Douglas, you are the one that got this fish?!   I actually had it on my watch list, but was working when the auction closed. You got it for a good price! Congrates!!

This one had good head definition, that's why I liked it.

A big hug for you!

 

Hello my friend Caldigger (I see you know my name, but unfortunately I do not know yours)! :1-SlapHands_zpsbb015b76:

 

Good afternoon (my country's schedule)!  :dinothumb:

 

Actually I have no idea what specie of fish it might be, because unfortunately I do not understand anything about the Triassic fishs from Madagascar, but what I'm sure to tell you is that it's not an unusual fish, I see several auctions per month, including fish with excellent preservation and definition like this one. Good price? I purchase this fish at auction almost for free ... I paid only US $16,50! When I see a similar one, and this is not difficult at all, I inform you by PM. I promise! They are usually small, but like you said, but some of them have an excellent definition of body and head.

 

Another big hug for you! :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Troodon
On 7/19/2018 at 12:24 AM, Seguidora-de-Isis said:

had never seen a Dinosaur bone from Madagascar that had not been polished! 

Sauropod Digit :D

 

BothripsFootD176.thumb.jpg.61afe08f5ebfa6a64d317fd74c89792b.jpg

 

 

Have the entire Sauropod arm

 

5b5b66b4c77d3_Promanustop3-D118(2).thumb.jpg.225b7015d40abbd4447eae1ae54fda1f.jpg

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Seguidora-de-Isis
23 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Sauropod Digit :D

 

BothripsFootD176.thumb.jpg.61afe08f5ebfa6a64d317fd74c89792b.jpg

 

 

 

How splendid! Now I'm just a boy, but one day I'm going to grow up and I want to be exactly like Uncle Frank! :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×