Egg, Concretion, or Neither?

rockguy2000

I recently bought the item shown in the attached photos online. (Images show the front and back.) Unfortunately, the seller did not know exactly what it was, so it was sold to me as a 'mystery item'. Is it a concretion, or something else perhaps? The circle within a circle with the raised 'egg-like' formation has me a bit confused. Thank you for your help everyone! **First post - I'd like to say that I'm very grateful and excited to be here.

IMG_0345.jpg

IMG_0346.jpg

An iron concretion, meaning that it's natural iron that formed that way and essentially rusted? Or man made? Thank you for the response by the way!

Iron concretions are naturally formed iron oxides. Not man made, although they can form around man made iron objects (given enough time.).

• I found this Informative 1

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

It looks similar to the 'sand pots' that come from the Sahara. At the time I came across one in a rock shop there didn't seem to be a definitive answer for how they form. 

• I found this Informative 2

Moqui Marbles (Iron Oxide Concretions) from Navajo Sandstone, Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument, UT.

FWT8Y4.jpg

"Journey through a universe ablaze with changes" Phil Ochs

18 hours ago, Rockwood said:

It looks similar to the 'sand pots' that come from the Sahara. At the time I came across one in a rock shop there didn't seem to be a definitive answer for how they form. 

I think that is what you have. A lot of Moroccan vendors sell these. They sell them as stromatolites, though I have heard that they aren't. @Tidgy's Dad will remember.

Yes, the above link shows my Moroccan "stromatolite" but I don't think that it is. 

Just a concretion or other desert formed geological structure, I think. 

They seem to come from the desert South East of Agadir from areas that are primarily Cretaceous in age. 

But I'm still not positive exactly from where they come, how old they are or what they are. :headscratch:

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Thank you all for your insight and helpful information! It sounds like it could perhaps be a stromatolite, but perhaps not. Either way, I'm happy to have a unique looking piece (unique looking to me, anyhow) in my collection.

2 hours ago, rockguy2000 said:

I'm happy to have a unique looking piece

It is.:)

"Journey through a universe ablaze with changes" Phil Ochs