Tucker

Plant ID needed from Kentucky

Tucker

Hello everyone, I have a small collection that I picked up on a trip to Kentucky...the area around hazard. I think its the Breathitt formation. Pennsylvanian period.  I have been in the process of Identifying them. I think I have a decent lock on some of them, but could use a little help on a few. I should add some more photos of 3 and 4. Let me know if you need anything specific (close up on a certain area, or what have you).

DSCN0146.JPG

DSCN0153.JPG

DSCN0147.JPG

DSCN0155.JPG

caldigger

If them Duke boys would have been into fossil collecting, it might have kept them out of so much trouble. 

Rockwood
1 hour ago, caldigger said:

If them Duke boys would have been into fossil collecting, it might have kept them out of so much trouble. 

True.

But I would miss the theme song playing in my head when I notice the trailer with it's loading ramps down. :)

fifbrindacier

:Welcome-crab:from France.

Tucker

Excellent. Thanks everyone. :dinothumb:

deutscheben

I would say that the second one is actually Neuropteris or one of the closely related genera, based on the shape and arrangement of leaves, but I don't think it's possible to be more specific without seeing the venation more clearly.

abyssunder
On 7/14/2018 at 2:02 PM, Fossildude19 said:

Your first item looks like a possible lycopod cone, poorly preserved, ... something similar to Lepidostrobus.

maybe of L. lanceolatum?

DSCN0146.JPG.4fd5ad7438fee162893a413bc95de960.JPG.ee8275bcfdb10745d303e2c1980ed2b9.JPGGL039Lepidostrobus02CB.thumb.jpg.72f211ce13046e1aeeeea5d0397c06de.jpg

comparative picture from here

Fossildude19
1 hour ago, deutscheben said:

I would say that the second one is actually Neuropteris or one of the closely related genera, based on the shape and arrangement of leaves, but I don't think it's possible to be more specific without seeing the venation more clearly.

I initially thought. Neuropteris, but discounted it due to the midline extending to the outer margin, as in Pecopteris.

deutscheben
3 hours ago, Fossildude19 said:

I initially thought. Neuropteris, but discounted it due to the midline extending to the outer margin, as in Pecopteris.

I see- I think that it's just the blurry nature of the picture giving that impression on this piece- the other veins extending from the midvein can run all the way to the edge down the middle, along with the fold. Everything else about it says Neuropteris to me.