Hypselosaurus Egg France

Dear forum

I`m planning to make my biggest acquisition so far concerning fossils. Could you please rate the attached egg for me. Would be great if you can say something about the quality.

Since there is no visible hatching window it should be unhatched?

Thanks.

a3.jpg

a4.jpg

a5.jpg

a6.jpg

a7.jpg

a8.jpg

a9.jpg

a10.jpg

a17.jpg

a13.jpg

a14.jpg

a21.jpg

a16.jpg

a18.jpg

a19.jpg

a20.jpg

a22.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Egg is pretty typical of what comes out of France.  Although identified as Hypselosaurus, eggs are not identified to a species but a oogenus/ootaxon based on their eggshell..  This is a Megaloolithus type egg.

@CBchiefski  question on it being unhatched.

• I found this Informative 6

Very nice French egg. This is about as good of quality as this type of egg gets. Not many of these come to sale so snatch it up if you can get it!

13 hours ago, doushantuo said:

I posted something here????:headscratch: 

Thanks. I did read it yesterday. Was very interesting.

15 hours ago, HamptonsDoc said:

Very nice French egg. This is about as good of quality as this type of egg gets. Not many of these come to sale so snatch it up if you can get it!

Thanks. Will receive it in a week. Lucky me :-)

18 hours ago, Troodon said:

Egg is pretty typical of what comes out of France.  Although identified as Hypselosaurus, eggs are not identified to a species but a oogenus/ootaxon based on their eggshell..  This is a Megaloolithus type egg.

@CBchiefski  question on it being unhatched.

Interesting. Thanks.

Nice egg and one of the better ones I've seen in a while, I was planning to bid on it during the last auction. 

• 6 months later...

For some reason I did not notice the call out in this thread, @MarcoX sorry about that. The hatching question is a difficult one to answer scientifically with most egg specimens, of course, a nearly complete egg is likely unhatched. Much of the strength in eggs comes from their shape and this means once there is an opening in the shell that strength is lost. There are many ways for an egg to break, one of which is the baby breaking out, but many of the broken eggs we find may have yielded no baby. In the particular case of the egg you show here, I would say it was most likely a failed egg. The term unhatched and failed are often used interchangeably but I prefer failed as unhatched implies the egg was fertilized and had a real chance. It is possible and I would argue probable that no fertilization was the cause for many eggs to not hatch. Hopefully, that answers your question.

On 22.1.2019 at 8:03 PM, CBchiefski said:

For some reason I did not notice the call out in this thread, @MarcoX sorry about that. The hatching question is a difficult one to answer scientifically with most egg specimens, of course, a nearly complete egg is likely unhatched. Much of the strength in eggs comes from their shape and this means once there is an opening in the shell that strength is lost. There are many ways for an egg to break, one of which is the baby breaking out, but many of the broken eggs we find may have yielded no baby. In the particular case of the egg you show here, I would say it was most likely a failed egg. The term unhatched and failed are often used interchangeably but I prefer failed as unhatched implies the egg was fertilized and had a real chance. It is possible and I would argue probable that no fertilization was the cause for many eggs to not hatch. Hopefully, that answers your question.

Thanks a lot. I`m always happy to learn something new here. Even failed egg doesnt sound so appealing to my favorite egg :-)

On 1/23/2019 at 1:57 PM, MarcoX said:

Thanks a lot. I`m always happy to learn something new here. Even failed egg doesnt sound so appealing to my favorite egg :-)

Of course, glad I could help. Haha yes, failed certainly is not as pleasant compared to unhatched.

• I found this Informative 2

An impressive-looking specimen. Megaloolithid indet. is the safest ID.

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!