Friday the thirteenth ain’t bad at Matoaka!

Miocene_Mason

5 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Never a fan of the cottages but it can get you further north to the cliffs just not consistent like Randle Cliffs.  You had a good day collecting, thanks for the photo's.  Lucky friday 13th.

I’m not normally a fan either, but right now it’s the cheapest. I’ve also heard good things since he rains brought down the slide. Bayfront is a lot per person this time of year (I live in Carroll County so I don’t even get the in-county rates). Hoping to get to plum point this summer, I need a transportable boat though.

Was a good day though, Thanks!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

1 hour ago, MeargleSchmeargl said:

Friday the 13th. Spoopy!

Did you see a grim reaper wandering the Miocene graveyard? :P

Yeah, actually. Turns out he’s a Fossil Hunter too! I asked him if he looked like a T. rex in the Cretaceous because he looks like the top predator of today (us) and he said “no, I looked like a Meteor.” :D

53B5A4B1-AC8F-4E7D-90F8-BF4588684C0A.png

• I found this Informative 3

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

7 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

Yeah, actually. Turns out he’s a Fossil Hunter too! I asked him if he looked like a T. rex in the Cretaceous because he looks like the top predator of today (us) and he said he no, he looked like a Meteor. :D

53B5A4B1-AC8F-4E7D-90F8-BF4588684C0A.png

And in the Neogene he looked like a glacier?

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

Just now, MeargleSchmeargl said:

And in the Neogene he looked like a glacier?

One would presume:1-SlapHands_zpsbb015b76:

• I found this Informative 1

Happy hunting,

Mason

12 minutes ago, ynot said:

Nice finds and report. (Pictures are not to bad either).

Glad You could get out and hunt.

Thanks! I’m quite glad I could too!

Happy hunting,

Mason

Nice finds Mason! Glad that you had a good hunt!

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

55 minutes ago, Darktooth said:

Nice finds Mason! Glad that you had a good hunt!

Thanks!

Happy hunting,

Mason

6 hours ago, Shark Tooth Hunter said:

Good stuff. Looks like you made out well 

Thanks!

Happy hunting,

Mason

1 hour ago, Phevo said:

Thanks for the trip report, very nice location and finds

Thank you! 

Happy hunting,

Mason

Great report, Mason, nice pics of fossils and wildlife and congrats on some super finds! :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

I got Dr. Weems to ID my croc tooth, to a species I had never heard of. Thecachampsa sericodon.  I’ll enter it into FOTM and file it away into my collection till I can get a new display.

Happy hunting,

Mason

Just now, Tidgy's Dad said:

Great report, Mason, nice pics of fossils and wildlife and congrats on some super finds! :)

Thanks Adam! Was a great day! I was talking to some fellow hunters today and they were all a bit suprised I found anything of interest there!

Happy hunting,

Mason

Wow,  a side note for those who are interested, My Brownies Beach display has been featured on the MGS website (ecphora.net), after its been jostled by every member who viewed it, looks good right?:rofl:

and yes, the cows will soon get their own cases.

11F3908D-FED4-40B7-BAA7-94A731FC8A75.jpeg

Happy hunting,

Mason

Hi Whoda, glad you had a good day, hope all of the dead baby Menhaden were gone from the stretch of beach north of the cliffs.  Yuk! I think the heat got to them when we had that stretch of near 100 degree days. I am not sure about the place that you were referring to past the cliffs, where you had all of the good luck, but maybe I will stumble on it tomorrow. I think the farthest north I have gone so far is where there is a nice cold stream that empties out into the Bay; that stretch has only been good for small shark's teeth for me so far, but you must mean another spot. The nicest hemis I have are from Brownies AND Matoaka, so I don't just go there for shells. My first periotic bone was also from there and on my first visit, so I am rather fond of the place now. I think I have a croc tooth from there as well, I will post a photo of it just to be sure when I update everyone with my next trip report. 

3 hours ago, Kimi64 said:

Hi Whoda, glad you had a good day, hope all of the dead baby Menhaden were gone from the stretch of beach north of the cliffs. 

Yes those had cleared up (for the most part), pieces from some big water creature carcass was strewn further down. Didn’t smell till right next to it.

Also you can call me Mason:)

days. I am not sure about the place that you were referring to past the cliffs, where you had all of the good luck, but maybe I will stumble on it tomorrow. I think the farthest north I have gone so far is where there is a nice cold stream that empties out into the Bay; that stretch has only been good for small shark's teeth for me so far, but you must mean another spot.

I know that stream, and also wonder why it is so cold. I love it though, cools me off if the waders get a bit warm. It was past that even further. If you stand there and look north, you will see a cliff. That’s the cliff I walked to, better the closer I got.

first periotic bone was also from there and on my first visit, so I am rather fond of the place now. I think I have a croc tooth from there as well,

Me too with the first periotic. I like it as well, and teeth can be found there but it relative to the other sites it is sparse. I talked to some very experienced hunters today, and I was advised multiple times that Flag ponds (which I’ve never visited) at low tide is the great, and of course the best site is Plum Point and some of the other hard to access cliffs. Looking forward to your report though! I have now learned how to tell the two croc species apart, so perhaps I’ll be of use (a rarity indeed!)

Happy hunting,

Mason

On 7/16/2018 at 12:50 AM, Nimravis said:

Nice report and some cool finds- thanks for sharing.

Thanks Ralph! 

Happy hunting,

Mason

The only Ecphora I extracted.

If you would like to see it being prepped; go to this thread:

97CF2489-766F-4B48-AE8D-C7A6D11D42C5.jpeg

EF885F02-664C-4031-B2D1-81192DA9E531.jpeg

Happy hunting,

Mason

On 7/16/2018 at 5:14 AM, WhodamanHD said:

Wow,  a side note for those who are interested, My Brownies Beach display has been featured on the MGS website (ecphora.net), after its been jostled by every member who viewed it, looks good right?:rofl:

and yes, the cows will soon get their own cases.

11F3908D-FED4-40B7-BAA7-94A731FC8A75.jpeg

Beautiful cow shark teeth, particularly the symphyseal!  with all the rain and collapsing cliffs would expect many more this summer.

1 minute ago, Rowboater said:

Beautiful cow shark teeth, particularly the symphyseal!  with all the rain and collapsing cliffs would expect many more this summer.

Thanks, that is the best find I have made to date. I was flabbergasted when I saw it, all the more suprised that a few fossil hunters had walked right past it! I bet there are many more finds at brownies, but the price is high during the summer and the rains made it a bit sandy (and brought down a ton of trees I’ve heard). So, hopefully by fall the sand will be refined to a nice gravel and I will be able to hunt happily!

Happy hunting,

Mason

On 7/18/2018 at 5:18 AM, Fossil-Hound said:

@WhodamanHD don't give up. There are certainly plump Ecphora's out there. Look for freshly fallen situ. You'll see them. Very nice Hemi. Definitely a large shark. My guess would be at least 10 feet.

More info:

http://www.prehistoric-wildlife.com/species/h/hemipristis.html

Don’t worry, I won’t! I’ll find them at some point. Thanks! I read somewhere they probably got to like 20 feet and seeing as the largest teeth are around 2 inches, a one incher should be half that. 

Happy hunting,

Mason