Giant belemnite arm hook Megaonychites

TqB

Megaonychites, form genus for the giant hooks that some belemnites have been shown to carry as a pair.

By analogy with modern coleoids, they were probably carried by the males and used as mating claspers.

This is a fairly large one at 3.4cm (the range is 0.5cm to about 4cm).  It most likely belonged to a large Acrocoelites trisulculosus, by far the most common belemnite in these beds.

Very rare in the UK but more frequent in the equivalent Holzmaden Posidonienschiefer.

I've only seen one other from here - a partial - and that was mine until I gave it away thinking at the time it was a fish bone. (It was a long time ago... :) ).

A recent acquisition from the usual auction site. (Found by a knowledgeable friend so the stratigraphy is good.)

Mulgrave Formation ("Jet Rock"), Toarcian Stage, Lower Jurassic, near Whitby, Yorkshire, UK.

IMG_3094.thumb.jpg.86939476345993e4512e9a2202a7f3e9.jpgIMG_3096.thumb.jpg.4022c02674c10104e87df658e80488da.jpgIMG_3095.thumb.jpg.220b0f0f8f4a20956d57b04f958d72dd.jpg

Tarquin

Looks like a deadly scythe....I would never guess in a million years it was part of a squid :P 

Very interesting. Great find:dinothumb:

36 minutes ago, TqB said:

gave it away thinking at the time it was a fish bone. (It was a long time ago... :) ).

We’ve all had those moments. I left a weird looking black thing in a Silurian rock a year ago, only to learn it was a Rare shark tooth four months later:doh!:

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Thanks, all! @doushantuo - Huxley was famously taken in by an arm crown from one of those (or similar) that someone had cobbled onto a belemnite rostrum. Of course, Holzmaden has the real thing with Passaloteuthis and Acrocoelites as well as other coleoids. Sadly, no belemnite arms are known from Yorkshire yet...

Tarquin

Simply awesome piece! Thanks for sharing this and teach all of us a little something. 

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

8 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Tarquin! 

That is gorgeous! :wub:

Thanks, Adam, a photogenic little thing. :)

4 hours ago, fossilized6s said:

Simply awesome piece! Thanks for sharing this and teach all of us a little something. 

Thank you! I'm sure there'll be some in collections identified as fish bones.

2 minutes ago, Bobby Rico said:

Fantastic. Wonderful specimen.:wub:

Thanks, Bobby - very pleased to have had the chance to acquire it. It goes in the special belemnite drawer. :)

Tarquin

Oh wow the preservation is awesome:wub::wub:

Congrats!

Many greetings from Germany ! Have a great time with many fossils :)

Regards Sebastian

Belo.gif

12 hours ago, belemniten said:

Oh wow the preservation is awesome:wub::wub:

Congrats!

Thanks, Sebastian! You might be able to find these around Holzmaden... 

Tarquin

Archived