Fossil teeth and jaw fragment

daves64

I have actually had a small fossil for years, but had forgotten about it & the way I got it is sort of funny. 2002 I went with my then roommate on a trip to the John Day fossil beds state park in Oregon for my birthday. Got to walk around the painted hills and then the paths in the fossil beds. At one point my foot slipped off a path & slid down maybe 2 feet (of course I hit the ground). Got up & continued on my merry way after brushing the dirt off. Several miles down the road later I started feeling something in my shoe & figured it was just a pointy rock. Turns out it was a small fossil of a partial jaw with teeth in it. Apparently the critter it belonged to wanted an after life snack...  Just over 1 cm long x 1 cm wide and weighing a stunning 0.8 gm. The John Day fossils are late Eocene to late Miocene. Any idea what this originally belonged to? I know it  isn't much to go on, but I figured I'd try.  

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

7.JPG

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

Hi,

Probably herbivorous, but I can't say more...

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

mammal molar

I am bad at recognizing them,but artiodactyl or perissodactyl?

• 3 weeks later...

It looks like a jaw fragment from the small  John Day artiodactyl Hypertragulus early Arikareean.

• I found this Informative 1