Has anyone bought shale from the Florissant Fossil Quarry?

Sagebrush Steve

The Florissant Fossil Quarry in Colorado is near the Florissant Fossil Beds National Monument, famous for Eocene plant and insect fossils.  You can dig for fossils at the Quarry and they will also ship shale to you to hunt on your own.  I’m probably not going to be able get out there any time soon so I was thinking about maybe having them ship some shale to me.  But before I spend $7.50 per pound plus shipping for maybe 20 pounds of shale, I thought I should check to see if anyone has experience doing this.  I know it sounds expensive but it is cheaper than taking a trip out there.  Any thoughts?

I had some shale graciously brought to me by Dave (Shamalama). I'm guessing it was the package they have for sale.

I ended up with a few nice fossils out of the bunch. 

DSCN3603 inset.JPG   DSCN3612.JPG

DSCN3613.JPG   DSCN3618.JPG

DSCN3623.JPG    DSCN3626.JPG

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

A colleague of mine buys some for a class he teaches.  He says it's hit or miss, as you might expect.  Some years they get several nice insects and plants out of a box, other years very little.

Don

19 minutes ago, FossilDAWG said:

A colleague of mine buys some for a class he teaches.  He says it's hit or miss, as you might expect.  Some years they get several nice insects and plants out of a box, other years very little.

Don

Any idea how much he buys?  Trying to decide if 20 pounds is enough to have a good chance of finding anything.

16 minutes ago, Sagebrush Steve said:

Any idea how much he buys?  Trying to decide if 20 pounds is enough to have a good chance of finding anything.

20 lbs should be fine. 

...I'm back.

My wife and I went there a few times. Always seemed to find more in the shale we brought home than what we split there. But like the others said, its hit or miss. Can always order more if needed.

...I'm back.

Thanks, everyone, I will go ahead and place my order and update you on how it goes.

Archived