New Jersey Hunt

Darktooth

Summer is here, Yay! I haven't been as active on the forum lately as I usually am. Now that summer is in full swing there are many things to do that keep me away from fossils. It has been very hot and humid the past few weeks so I haven't done any hunts in awhile. But on tuesday I managed to sneak in a short hunt at Ramanessin brook with my family and met up with @frankh8147 on our way home from Ocean City. We arrived around 2pm and Frank met us at the school parking lot. After a short walk we got down to the stream and frank took us to a spot that he felt would be productive. While we sifted for goodies Frank shared his knowledge of the area with us. He also shared a few of his finds with Devin, who for some reason just couldn't find anything and lost interest quick. Granted nobody was finding a lot but Frank, Dylan, and myself were finding things here and there. Frank had to leave after a couple hours and we had to get back on the road shortly after. Our finds mainly consisted of squalicorax, mackeral and sandtiger teeth. But on my way out I mananged to dig up a portion of an ammonite whorl that I think is pretty cool. I had fun for the short time we were there. I wanted to say thank-you to frank for meeting up with us, sharing his knowledge and helping Devin out. It was highly appreciated!  Hopefully someday I can return the gesture.  Here are pics of our finds. Plus a pic of my shark souvenir from OC.

20180711_174135.jpg

20180711_174143.jpg

20180711_174151.jpg

20180711_174312.jpg

20180711_174345.jpg

20180711_174438.jpg

20180711_174844.jpg

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

That's a great ammonite for NJ!  Congrats

---Wie Wasser schleift den Stein, wir steigen und fallen---

5 minutes ago, ynot said:

Nice finds!

Like the "zebra" shark, nice souvenir.

Thanks Tony! I couldn't resist the shark even though I wish it was real wood.

4 minutes ago, non-remanié said:

That's a great ammonite for NJ!  Congrats

Thanks! I have only found small fragments of these in the past. Even though its not complete, I was quite happy to find this in the sifter!

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

Dave, 

That ammonite is a fantastic find for the brooks! 

Love the sculpture, as well.

Thanks for the report.

Regards, 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Nice finds! Love the ammo!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

40 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

Dave, 

That ammonite is a fantastic find for the brooks! 

Love the sculpture, as well.

Thanks for the report.

Regards, 

10 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

Nice finds! Love the ammo!

Thanks Tim, and Mason!

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

A few hours in those streams would be enjoyable even without hunting for fossils. I know you've been telling your kids for awhile that you'ld  take them on a hunt for shark teeth. I hope Devin at least got to throw some rocks. Finding a few shark teeth is a great bonus, and that partial ammonite is really special.  

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

5 minutes ago, Pagurus said:

A few hours in those streams would be enjoyable even without hunting for fossils. I know you've been telling your kids for awhile that you'ld  take them on a hunt for shark teeth. I hope Devin at least got to throw some rocks. Finding a few shark teeth is a great bonus, and that partial ammonite is really special.  

Hey Mike,It is funny that you mentioned Devin throwing rocks! Yes he did! I think Devin has gotten used to finding things quickly  and easily which he had a good streak for quite a while. So when he doesnt find things right off the bat he doesn't take it well. He does the same with fishing. I was glad to find some squalis which are my favorite from NJ. 

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

Glad to hear you had fun Dave! I really enjoyed our trip too. Congrats on the Ammonite - that is a really nice one!!

I am planning to get up to upstate NY again for some Devonian digs later this year so I'll let you know when I can get up there.

7 hours ago, frankh8147 said:

Glad to hear you had fun Dave! I really enjoyed our trip too. Congrats on the Ammonite - that is a really nice one!!

I am planning to get up to upstate NY again for some Devonian digs later this year so I'll let you know when I can get up there.

I will be looking forward to it!

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

Awesome finds! As previously stated, that ammonite is an excellent piece to have in your collection, quite rare for the NJ brooks.

: )

4 hours ago, Monica said:

:wub::ammonite01:

(love the ammonite fragment)

Me too!

40 minutes ago, Trevor said:

Awesome finds! As previously stated, that ammonite is an excellent piece to have in your collection, quite rare for the NJ brooks.

Thanks Trevor! Your name came up while talking with Frank. I do want to get back there after some good rain. Maybe I could meet up with you and Frank.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

12 hours ago, Darktooth said:

Me too!

Thanks Trevor! Your name came up while talking with Frank. I do want to get back there after some good rain. Maybe I could meet up with you and Frank.

Now THAT is the best idea i've heard all day :)

That is a fantastic ammonite for that area.  :envy:You might check out Menuites as a possible ID.

Don

1 hour ago, frankh8147 said:

Most weekends in August I am free; if there is no rain then we can do some sifting excavation, there are a few new spots that I looked out for. 

: )

1 hour ago, frankh8147 said:

40 minutes ago, Trevor said:

Most weekends in August I am free; if there is no rain then we can do some sifting excavation, there are a few new spots that I looked out for. 

I will see what weekends I can work out and contact you both.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

1 hour ago, FossilDAWG said:

That is a fantastic ammonite for that area.  :envy:You might check out Menuites as a possible ID.

Don

Thanks Don, I will check that out!

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

10 hours ago, FossilDAWG said:

Don

Don is correct. Its Menuites portlocki.  Its a great find for the brooks!

---Wie Wasser schleift den Stein, wir steigen und fallen---

17 minutes ago, non-remanié said:

Don is correct. Its Menuites portlocki.  Its a great find for the brooks!

Thanks for verification! :)

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

35 minutes ago, Carl said:

Yep, that ammonite is a show stopper for the brooks. Would've made any any regular's day for sure.

Well all these comments are making me feel even better about finding that ammo!

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

4 minutes ago, Darktooth said:

They should, Dave. :) 

It is quite rare to find that complete of an Ammonite in the brooks in this day and age. 

Awesome job!

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

8 minutes ago, Darktooth said:

Put it this way: I've been collecting the brooks since 1988 and have never found any ammonite that nice and have only ever found a single chamber of Menuites. Treasure your ammonite.

Archived