Red flags on "fossils"

indominus rex

Today I was scrolling through our favorite auction site when I spotted this, I immediately noticed something was off just looking at its title, this piece was being listed as a dinosaur skull with jaws, it already had quite a few people bidding for it. It was quite clearly not a dinosaur skull, I messaged the seller and I feel like he shouldn't list this and label it as something that is extremely desired by any fossil collector(and possibly illegal depending on where it was found). Regards, indominus rex 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Life started in the ocean. And so did my interest in fossils;).

I looked at the seller's other items and he also listed this as a "dinosaur bone" when it is most likely not.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

You may report the seller, though who knows if it will work.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

It's funny how there are so many rocks being listed for thousands of dollars passed off as "dinosaur skulls"

I contacted this one seller regarding this and his listing

And of course he replies :

"But the eye socket is sunken. The nostrils are there. Plus, It has a marking where the throat canal was. The mouth is defined. All of the features are in perfect proportion. The chance that these would all come together by coincidence is astronomical. An anthropologist has seen it and did not rule either way."

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

Very comforting,the thought that an anthropologist had seen it.

If I buy fossils,I let them be authenticated by Melvin Belefusky,a pretty good plumber and "noted fossil expert".

Thanks to him,I have bought a genuine Psychopyge,with all molars in place,although M/3 is a little worn

May as well state- "I showed my florist these bones to get a professional's opinion"... 

Here's a truly rare piece from a different seller. It's described as "Nurture by nature." The description continues that this is, in fact, a fossilized preondactylus mother who is licking her newborn hatchling. It's a "beautiful" and "rare" moment captured in a fossil -- 100% real!

ebaylisting1.thumb.jpg.a269e2c588ee914b846c379d9942a21c.jpg

ebaylisting2.thumb.jpg.0ad338ae9569b431fe9f95413345640c.jpg

Considering its great scientific importance, I don't feel I am worthy of even making an offer on such a specimen. :wacko:

Tumbled concrete, what art lover wouldn't want something like this?!

I'm surprised you haven't purchased it yet.

6 hours ago, indominus rex said:

I looked at the seller's other items and he also listed this as a "dinosaur bone" when it is most likely not.

image.jpeg

I've already messaged this seller multiple times that this is just a rock. But they are insistent that it is indeed a dinosaur fossil. It's clear this seller knows nothing of what real fossils look like.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

Lots of odd items being sold mostly because the sellers are just just ignorant of what fossils look like.   It's the buyers responsibility to know his stuff and avoid these land mines.  Thanks for posting

Bird being sold

5b4b2d79207d1_s-l1600(2).thumb.jpg.4d5218ef9423c2684c6256c0ede62818.jpg5b4b2d6e8b279_s-l1600(5).thumb.jpg.8350c8575c80f3d912ef11bdce6d5186.jpg

19 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Lots of odd items being sold mostly because the sellers are just just ignorant of what fossils look like.   It's the buyers responsibility to know his stuff and avoid these mines.  Thanks for posting

Bird being sold

5b4b2d79207d1_s-l1600(2).thumb.jpg.4d5218ef9423c2684c6256c0ede62818.jpg5b4b2d6e8b279_s-l1600(5).thumb.jpg.8350c8575c80f3d912ef11bdce6d5186.jpg

5b4b2da7d0ebd_s-l1600(4).thumb.jpg.0506eddec7fee24883b5289b7f64f82f.jpg

I didn't know birds could have their toes and claws on their head:hearty-laugh:

The seller of the 'bird' even went to the trouble of publicising the find on Facebook fossil groups, which indicates that they actually think it's a fossil.

These are some examples of extreme cases where sellers believe they are correct and nothing will ever stop these type of offerings.  Why its up to the buyers to educate themselves on what they decide to purchase and if they make these purchases its their fault.  My mantra continues to be NEVER trust what you see identified by anyone regardless who the seller is and  includes,  trusted dealers, tff members, friends, sellers you've done business with... etc, etc....

22 minutes ago, Masp said:

This should be a crime lol

False advertising?

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

4 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

False advertising?

Yup... especially selling off a rock as a skull  :ighappy: 

i found this interesting read on fake mosasuar jaws.

(link has been removed)

example of a FAKE mosasaur jaw on sale

pretty convincing right? well wrong.

example of a REAL mosasuar jaw (atleast to my knowledge)

:trex::trilo::meg:games are fun, but finding fossil is even better!:meg::trilo::trex:

@MRfossilMISTER  @Macrophyseter

Please do not post ad copy or direct links to sellers on ebay. 

It leaves the Forum open to possible lawsuits.  :( 

Posting pictures is fine, but not links or direct ad copy. 

Thanks for your attention. 

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

oh im sorry, i would post pics but i dont know how to do that

:trex::trilo::meg:games are fun, but finding fossil is even better!:meg::trilo::trex:

Please refrain from posting here until you are able to. 

It can cause us issues, and get you banned.  :(  

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

9 hours ago, Fossildude19 said:

Please do not post ad copy or direct links to sellers on ebay. 

It leaves the Forum open to possible lawsuits.  :( 

Posting pictures is fine, but not links or direct ad copy. 

Thanks for your attention. 

If I reupload the same picture, but cover everything except for say the listing pictures, title, and maybe price and description, would that be okay?

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

1 hour ago, Macrophyseter said:

cover everything except for say the listing pictures,

This is ok.

1 hour ago, Macrophyseter said:

title, and maybe price and description,

This is not ok.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

I find the easiest approach is just to download or copy the picture., that simple.   That eliminates all of the peripheral issues with a screenshot.  The comments should be in your own words

Archived