Moroccan trilobite

Hey everyone.

i’m currently looking to buy some nice specimins that will be put on display.

I know very little about triobites, other than that they look really good. I’m looking for a nice affordable specimin that will display nice. So if you have any other suggestions i’ll be happy to hear them!

i found this online, and it states that it has had some repair work being hairline crack repair in the matrix, which i know is very common and i’m perfectly fine with it, but has the repairs been over done? 

It’s a Paralejuras trilobite, thanks!

BA3A4895-2382-4177-B733-06BADA08D237.jpeg

D30EC51B-1844-49B0-A288-D57DCD473185.jpeg

3B488C60-1B29-40A8-A7E2-FE433CF20E4F.jpeg

Yorkshire Coast Fossil Hunter

This one looks like it had some rough prep, particularly along the pleurae tips, and on the left side where it looks more "carved." I wouldn't class this one as a top-shelf prep job, and you can see some "oops" scribe marks on the pygidium. It is common for these to be blacked with shoe polish or some other substance to give the trilobite a bit of sheen, while also covering up prep mistakes or imperfections. 

It is not an uncommon trilobite from Morocco, so as long as the price is reasonable, it should be fine. There are also trilobites from North America that you might consider as displayable. The popular auction site is definitely filled with specimens of Elrathia, for example, and occasional surges of Eldredgeops, as well as various lovely specimens from Oklahoma. You might also consider the relatively large asaphids from Russia that can appear for fairly reasonable prices - but keep in mind that stated restoration percentages may be lowballed (1-7% may actually be much more), and it is not uncommon that pieces from other trilobites are grafted to an incomplete one to make it complete - if not also some light sculpting. Some restoration is absolutely fine, just so long as the seller is up-front about it and the trilobite is priced accordingly. 

Generally, a premium bug (one that is truly complete with little to no restoration, and expertly prepared) will command a premium price. And that makes sense given the equipment costs and time for preparation. Of course, there are plenty of bugs made to look premium that are not. 

• I found this Informative 3

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Forgot to add: one way to be absolutely certain of authenticity is if the seller provides pictures of the preparation process itself. One preparer/seller I sometimes hire to prep my finds that are a bit too challenging for me to undertake alone makes it his common practice to provide clients with pictures of the process, at various stages of the preparation, while also clearly indicating what if any restorations have been made. It doesn't get more trustworthy than that!

3 minutes ago, Kane said:

Forgot to add: one way to be absolutely certain of authenticity is if the seller provides pictures of the preparation process itself. One preparer/seller I sometimes hire to prep my finds that are a bit too challenging for me to undertake alone makes it his common practice to provide clients with pictures of the process, at various stages of the preparation, while also clearly indicating what if any restorations have been made. It doesn't get more trustworthy than that!

Ones on the auction sites are probably mostly bought from dealers already prepped i bet, especially for this price.

Quite true, which is why it can be a bit of a gamble on the auction sites. It very much depends on one's purpose in collecting the bugs. If it is mostly for display purposes, then aesthetics will dominate. If it is for more scientific accuracy, then provenance is king. I've had the misfortune of purchasing a bug that - although authentic - was advertised in a way that I found misleading. 

I liken getting quality bugs to buying produce: I like to know where precisely it was grown, who picked and packaged it, so that I can draw an uninterrupted line from the farm to my table. Of course, you end up paying more, but the tradeoff (when it comes to trilobites) is more certainty due to knowing its history from the point of extraction to the point of display.

Petty poor prep job, they've scratched the poor thing quite badly. 

I'd wait, I'm sure you'll be able to find a much better Paralejurus for a decent price if you look around. :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

11 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Petty poor prep job, they've scratched the poor thing quite badly. 

I'd wait, I'm sure you'll be able to find a much better Paralejurus for a decent price if you look around. :)

I bought this instead Tidgy. It’s a Coltraenia

Hopefully it’s better, it shows some eye detail i think.

41F02BEF-674E-49DC-A3CF-13B64CBEA0A0.jpeg

4E9B14A7-B027-4256-87EC-AD62E854700A.jpeg

C3ECC8E4-D141-47B7-AF4F-BECE60719D94.jpeg

2B2E40E3-DC18-4CD8-8215-A0F4E7720FF9.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1

3 minutes ago, LiamL said:

I bought this instead Tidgy. It’s a Coltraenia

Hopefully it’s better, it shows some eye detail i think.

Not perfect, but far, far better in my opinion. :)

• I found this Informative 1

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png