New Jersey Cretaceous id help

frankh8147

Hello!

I found this weird fossil yesterday in the Big Brook area of Momouth County New Jersey (Cretaceous). I was thinking possible echinoid but haven't found any like this in the area. Anyone know what it is?

As always, thanks in for advance for the help!

-Frank

alien.jpg

alien1.jpg

alien2.jpg

Maybe a crab carapace, Frank?

alien.jpg.ee8a1232042a910ed766dcfc5f0853f9.jpg 

EDIT: By the way, this is an excellent find! 

You are killing it down in the creeks this year! :) 

EDIT#2 : Maybe @MB  will have some insight to this.

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

I can't help on the ID Frank but it's cool.

5 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

Maybe a crab carapace, Frank?

alien.jpg.ee8a1232042a910ed766dcfc5f0853f9.jpg

Thanks for brightening that picture!

That's what I was thinking (and honestly hoping for) when I first found it. My main reservation was that it would be pretty ornamental for a crab but some pictures I've found online do seem match up.

6 minutes ago, ynot said:

I agree with Tim (I have to- He pays Me).

:hearty-laugh::rofl:

It's the exact same amount I make working here. :P 

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

It matches up very nicely to Cretaceous crabs I'm seeing online from Texas (can't find one with the exact ornamentation but I'm looking). Thanks so much everyone, I've never found one of these before!

If that is a crab carapace, and it really looks like a good possibility, then it is an excellent find. I would look at maybe consolidating the matrix with Paleobond or something similar. Since I moved out here from the east coast several of my New Jersey specimens have dried out and crumbled...

5 hours ago, erose said:

If that is a crab carapace, and it really looks like a good possibility, then it is an excellent find. I would look at maybe consolidating the matrix with Paleobond or something similar. Since I moved out here from the east coast several of my New Jersey specimens have dried out and crumbled...

Thanks! I used a mix of 1/3 Elmers Glue, 2/3 water which was recommended to me by several long time New Jersey collectors so hopefully it does the trick. It has worked well up to this point.

I'm pretty sold on crab carapace at this point. Here is a different angle of mine to compared to one I found online - looks like a match to me! Obviously it's a different species but the front part looks really similar.

crabnew.jpg

germanycrab.jpg

Excellent find Frank!   Very rare to find one this nice

---Wie Wasser schleift den Stein, wir steigen und fallen---

7 hours ago, non-remanié said:

Excellent find Frank!   Very rare to find one this nice

Thanks Steve! It's definitely one of my favorite recent finds.

I wonder what it's claws looked like; every claw I've personally seen that has come from Big Brook has been ID'd as either ghost shrimp or hoploparia gabbi but who knows how many types of crab were here also... I'm thinking maybe the generic 'crustacean' label might fit my collection better for most of my isolated claws.

That is a fantastic specimen! :wub: :drool: :envy:  I don't recognize the species, so I suspect it's a rare one and likely of scientific significance.

Don

No expert here frank,but looks alittle like a spider crab,I believe a spider crab fossil was found in sandy hook N.J. , but again no expert here.

22 hours ago, FossilDAWG said:

That is a fantastic specimen! :wub: :drool: :envy:  I don't recognize the species, so I suspect it's a rare one and likely of scientific significance.

Don

Thanks Don! I'll definitely let the professionals know I have this and see what I can find out.

20 hours ago, brad hinkelman said:

No expert here frank,but looks alittle like a spider crab,I believe a spider crab fossil was found in sandy hook N.J. , but again no expert here.

Thanks  Brad. I think it probably is some type of spider crab.

Edit- @brad hinkelman do you by any chance have any information on the one that may have been found at Sandy Hook?

12 hours ago, frankh8147 said:

Thanks Don! I'll definitely let the professionals know I have this and see what I can find out.

Thanks  Brad. I think it probably is some type of spider crab.

Edit- @brad hinkelman do you by any chance have any information on the one that may have been found at Sandy Hook?

The only reference I could find was this illustrated in picture “f” from the following site

77EA06F1-FC94-4A46-B822-317D7FED47F5.png

FB01B451-339E-4D83-95AE-BC5AB1CA24CD.jpeg

Absolutely a crab! And a damned fine one. Crazy rare. Run this by Ralph Johnson - he'll know what it is. Even though I know nothings about crabs I'm going to guess Necrocarcinus. Well done!

22 minutes ago, brad hinkelman said:

The only reference I could find was this illustrated in picture “f” from the following site

77EA06F1-FC94-4A46-B822-317D7FED47F5.png

FB01B451-339E-4D83-95AE-BC5AB1CA24CD.jpeg

Thank you for that Brad! I was just talking about you to another fossil hunter the other day - I said in the cold winter months you are one of the only other collectors I run into who is crazy enough to be in the streams (one of the best compliments I can give :) ).

1 hour ago, Carl said:

Absolutely a crab! And a damned fine one. Crazy rare. Run this by Ralph Johnson - he'll know what it is. Even though I know nothings about crabs I'm going to guess Necrocarcinus. Well done!

"Even though I know nothing about crabs".. Haha, obviously you do! Here is a nice comparison I found online. As always, your knowledge is amazing! 

crrr.jpg

crrr.jpg.af86cbebd72a1dddcf98548d17694fb8.jpg

1 minute ago, frankh8147 said:

"Even though I know nothing about crabs".. Haha, obviously you do! Here is a nice comparison I found online. As always, your knowledge is amazing! 

crrr.jpg

Awesome,the wifey actually first mentioned it,I would think this is pretty rare there. Congrats!!!!!!

My best guess is Chondromaia antiqua Feldmann et al 2013.  This new genus and species was described by Feldmann and coworkers in 2013 based on a fragmentary specimen from the Mt Laurel on Hopp Brook.  If my ID is correct your specimen is far better than the unique holotype.

Don

Reference: Feldmann RM, Schweitzer CE, Baltzy, LM, Bennett OA, Jone AMR, Mathias FF, Weaver KL, and Yost SL.  New and previously known decapod crustaceans from the Late Cretacous of New Jersey and Delaward, USA.  Bulletin of the Mizunami Fossil Museum, no. 39 (2013), p. 7–37.

Chondromaia.jpg

3 hours ago, FossilDAWG said:

My best guess is Chondromaia antiqua Feldmann et al 2013.  This new genus and species was described by Feldmann and coworkers in 2013 based on a fragmentary specimen from the Mt Laurel on Hopp Brook.  If my ID is correct your specimen is far better than the unique holotype.

Don

Reference: Feldmann RM, Schweitzer CE, Baltzy, LM, Bennett OA, Jone AMR, Mathias FF, Weaver KL, and Yost SL.  New and previously known decapod crustaceans from the Late Cretacous of New Jersey and Delaward, USA.  Bulletin of the Mizunami Fossil Museum, no. 39 (2013), p. 7–37.

Chondromaia.jpg

Thank you so much for the help on this! I will be reaching out to the author of that study and will update you all with any information I find.

-Frank

Archived