Malcolmt

First off here is the bug showing it on the matrix as a whole which you can compare back to the matrix circled in red on the pool table picture. . I still need to clean up the scribe marks on the matrix. But that will be another day as I have some bugs to finish for others before getting back to this one for me.

5b4b701704d29_PerfectBugCompleteOverview.thumb.jpg.2f9db4e1fa6602fc9342879594e34404.jpg

And here it is head on

5b4b702c8bd24_Perfectbug0.thumb.jpg.86db0525d3870b128200529046595c12.jpg

Malcolmt

Must say this bug turned out to be a really nice surprise. My initial impression was that it was likely to be a 2/3 enrolled bug and that is in fact where I had placed it when sorting on the pool table. This may be a lowly E. rana but it is deserving of my highest ranking of a bug .... "Museum Quality", what say you.

Finds like this are definitely why I keep going back to Penn Dixie. ... one of my top 5 spots to collect ...

If you have that perfect bug that you can't prep yourself give me a PM and we can see if we can work something out.

Malcolmt

Perfect bug 2.jpg

ynot
12 minutes ago, Malcolmt said:

End result a "Perfect Bug" that ever so elusive beast that we all aspire to be blessed with. 

Very nice indeed!

Malcolmt

Here is a close up of the eye and the pustules on the nose of the cephalon. Notice the detail that can only be achieved under a scope with low PSI and attention to what you are doing. 

5b4b70924024f_PerfectBugEye.thumb.jpg.7985a6f1233c00fe0376a8d770ad9802.jpg

Kane

Excellent work! 

(And I can proudly say that I am the lucky owner of a flawless, fully inflated one that you expertly prepped for me last year)

TqB

I'm not much of a bug collector but that would change my mind if we could get them here. Great post and finished result!

MiseriKing

excellent preparation!

Walt

Wow (jaw dropped)  It is inspiring to see such great prep....but intimidating also to someone who hpes to learn to prep bugs (me)  Very nice!  :trilo::trilo::trilo::trilo::dinothumb:

caldigger

Yet another masterpiece Malcolm.

Very nice indeed.

Fossildude19

Definitely a Perfect Trilobite. Museum quality in every way.

Great job and fantastic results.

Thanks for showing us, Malcolm!

Malcolmt
36 minutes ago, TqB said:

I'm not much of a bug collector but that would change my mind if we could get them here. Great post and finished result!

Yes but you have things there that we can only dream of finding. Other than a few bits of Placyderm head shield I have never found a vertebrate fossil. Just the wrong age rock here.

Malcolmt
32 minutes ago, Walt said:

Wow (jaw dropped)  It is inspiring to see such great prep....but intimidating also to someone who hpes to learn to prep bugs (me)  Very nice!  :trilo::trilo::trilo::trilo::dinothumb:

Ya just got to jump in the deep end and start simple with a few dental picks a scalpel and a magnifier of some kind. Make sure you like doing it before you invest in an endless supply of money for  prep gear, glues , epoxies etc..... Too many people invest money in gear only to find prepping is too tedious for them. For me It just puts me in the zone where I want to be. Nothing like prepping with the ipod listening to one of my favorite podcasts. The hours just sail on by.... The only thing better is being out in the field finding them.

Raggedy Man

Absolutely beautiful!

Walt
35 minutes ago, Malcolmt said:

Ya just got to jump in the deep end and start simple with a few dental picks a scalpel and a magnifier of some kind. Make sure you like doing it before you invest in an endless supply of money for  prep gear, glues , epoxies etc..... Too many people invest money in gear only to find prepping is too tedious for them. For me It just puts me in the zone where I want to be. Nothing like prepping with the ipod listening to one of my favorite podcasts. The hours just sail on by.... The only thing better is being out in the field finding them.

I tie flies and do some silversmithing as well...so i kind of like tedious :) thanks for the kind words. 

Bone guy

This is the perfect E. rana......excelent prep work.

Innocentx

I would be proud too. You've really brought an amazingly beautiful creature back into the world.

Manticocerasman

excelent prepwork :yay-smiley-1:

WhodamanHD

World class! Nice!

Malcolmt

Thanks to all for your wonderful comments. I posted a few pics of this bug on a widely viewed facebook group and so far got 57 friend requests and 5 solicitations to buy it. I suspect many of the friend requests are people looking to sell fossil material and I just am too leary of unsolicited requests from China, Romania and Russia to deal with them . In my opinion too big a risk you would never get paid. You may not get the best prices on eBay but at least you can get an idea if someone is ok to deal with and there is some buyer / seller protection there.

As for this bug I suspect it is going to replace the prone rana in my personal display case that is slightly smaller

Kane
12 minutes ago, Malcolmt said:

Thanks to all for your wonderful comments. I posted a few pics of this bug on a widely viewed facebook group and so far got 57 friend requests and 5 solicitations to buy it. I suspect many of the friend requests are people looking to sell fossil material and I just am too leary of unsolicited requests from China, Romania and Russia to deal with them . In my opinion too big a risk you would never get paid. You may not get the best prices on eBay but at least you can get an idea if someone is ok to deal with and there is some buyer / seller protection there.

As for this bug I suspect it is going to replace the prone rana in my personal display case that is slightly smaller

For all the work you do for others, it's long overdue that you get to work on - and keep - an exceptional specimen of your very own. :) 

Monica

Beautiful work, Malcolm - congrats! :yay-smiley-1:

FossilDAWG

Lucky bug!  Lived to a ripe old age (judging by the size), buried while perfectly articulated and inflated, survived untouched by erosion or tectonic forces for 385 million years, only to be picked up by a master craftsman who recognized its potential in the field and had the skill to restore it to its original beauty.

Don