Is this an egg??

VRL

Looks like a concretion, to me.   

• I found this Informative 2

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

+1 for concretion.

Also, if it is sourced from an Ordovician deposit, that would be too soon for the appearance of hard-shelled eggs, which appear ~312 mya (Carboniferous)

• I found this Informative 4

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

First of all--welcome to the forum!

You are in good company as many new members find this forum after locating a similar looking item in their yard or while out hiking. Concretions form due to purely geological (not biological) processes and because spherical shapes are so common in nature it is natural for people to make the association of a concretion with an egg. In your case the resemblance is quite striking with what appears to be a thin whitish colored crust within the larger concretion body. When we don't know what to make of something we've seen (or found) we naturally gravitate to familiar concepts--in this case, eggs.

You may (or may not) be surprised at the number of backyard "dinosaur eggs" people think they've found. Though this suggestive stone is not actually a fossil but instead an interesting geological creation, I'd encourage you to stick around on the forum if you are curious and do have an interest in fossils. There is a huge abundance of fossil information contained in the posts on this forum and our members continue to contribute to that trove with a diverse array of deep knowledge in many fossil specialties. There are places in Tennessee to find fossils and we have several members on this forum from your general area.

More information on the fascinating topic of concretions can be found here (and many other sites online):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concretion

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 4