Fossil id, rock id please

Wrenchchik

Check the crystals by putting a drop of vinegar on one. 

If it fizzes, it is calcite. If not, it is quartz.  :) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Yes I think.

But you have to take from now on the good habits : size of the sample, the origin (a little more precise than Kansas !) and age of the sediment when you know it ;)

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

The lower left part of the first rock appears to have a high spired gastropod, point facing up and aperture facing towards viewer. (Or, is this a case of pareidolia?)

I cannot quite make out the crystal forms from the photos. If the long prisms of the crystals have six faces and the points have six faces (hexagonal crystals) then quartz is likely. If a knife blade cannot scratch them then quartz is likely. Please test them.

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

The crystals scratch with my thumb.   I thought my hand was good for scale.  Ellsworth County, Kansas.   Yes definitely some kind of gastropod.    I found several others also.  

20180715_170656.jpg

Nice blocks o' gastropods!  I think they're really nice display pieces :)

42 minutes ago, DPS Ammonite said:

The lower left part of the first rock appears to have a high spired gastropod, point facing up and aperture facing towards viewer. (Or, is this a case of pareidolia?)

It's a gastropod...:)

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Archived