ID Help Needed Paleocene Bone

Kreager

Found today and at first thought it was a Paleocene Croc Scapula. But, a FB member mentioned it could be a Paleocene mammal Talus. Thanks for looking, Any and all advice is appreciated 
Paleocene, Aquia Formation, Maryland

66162F39-DDA3-440E-8C94-887A4DFB8106.jpeg

36B3844D-1ADE-4FE7-87D7-237DF169B490.jpeg

Strange bone. Mammals are extremely rare in that formation so I would discount that unless better evidence is put forward. I’d guess reptilian, maybe a strange radius or humerus?

@MarcoSr @Al Dente

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

6 hours ago, WhodamanHD said:

Strange bone. Mammals are extremely rare in that formation so I would discount that unless better evidence is put forward. I’d guess reptilian, maybe a strange radius or humerus?

@MarcoSr @Al Dente

Thank You Sir. I’ll start trying to research this one in the Reptile family. 

8 hours ago, WhodamanHD said:

@MarcoSr @Al Dente

I agree that mammal specimens are extremely rare from the Aquia Formation in Maryland.  I'm aware of only a couple ever reported.  Most likely the specimen is from a croc or turtle.  I've seen/collected only a limited number of croc and turtle bones from the Aquia so I don't have a strong id opinion but based upon croc scapula that I've seen I tend to lean away from that id unless the specimen shape has really been altered by damage and wear.  I tend to lean toward a bone in the pectoral girdle of a turtle.

Marco Sr.

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

2 hours ago, MarcoSr said:

I agree that mammal specimens are extremely rare from the Aquia Formation in Maryland.  I'm aware of only a couple ever reported.  Most likely the specimen is from a croc or turtle.  I've seen/collected only a limited number of croc and turtle bones from the Aquia so I don't have a strong id opinion but based upon croc scapula that I've seen I tend to lean away from that id unless the specimen shape has really been altered by damage and wear.  I tend to lean toward a bone in the pectoral girdle of a turtle.

Marco Sr.

Thank You Marco, I’m definitely looking into the pelvic girdle of the turtle and croc. I think we are narrowing this down. Thanks so much

Archived