Coprolite?

Railguy

Spring Run Pennsylvania

when I found it looked like it had been extruded like when lava come out under water. That's why I kept it.

If it was found in New Mexico, I would say coprolite is a possibility. Coprolites from the Bull Canyon Formation there can look similar to what you have there. Location and proximity to the fossil remains of animals that could have produced it is probably the most important factor in identifying whether something is a coprolite. Whenever I think I may have found a coprolite, I touch it to the tip of my tongue to see if it sticks. While this is not a definitive test, I have found it useful when I'm working in an area that can produce coprolites and I find something with potential. :P

41 minutes ago, GeschWhat said:

If it was found in New Mexico, I would say coprolite is a possibility. Coprolites from the Bull Canyon Formation there can look similar to what you have there. Location and proximity to the fossil remains of animals that could have produced it is probably the most important factor in identifying whether something is a coprolite. Whenever I think I may have found a coprolite, I touch it to the tip of my tongue to see if it sticks. While this is not a definitive test, I have found it useful when I'm working in an area that can produce coprolites and I find something with potential. :P

I m not questioning your knowledge or appraisal. I'm just looking for more info. Why would it not be found in pa. Aside from the climate differences. Why is it red. If it is coprolite why is it red.btw I didn't touch it to my tongue.I have ran into that once be fore with a soon pec### bone.I didn't do it then either.

more pic coming

10 hours ago, Railguy said:

I m not questioning your knowledge or appraisal. I'm just looking for more info. Why would it not be found in pa. Aside from the climate differences. Why is it red. If it is coprolite why is it red.btw I didn't touch it to my tongue.I have ran into that once be fore with a soon pec### bone.I didn't do it then either.

more pic coming

I only say this because I am familiar with coprolites from that location. Many have some red coloration or are coated in red siderite concretion. The red color is due to the presence of iron. I have not personally seen coprolites from PA, but that doesn't mean they aren't there. That said, because I am not familiar with coprolites from that area and I don't see anything readily identifiable, I cant give a definitive answer. You don't have to touch it to your tongue. You can just touch it with wet fingers. Many times carnivore coprolites will feel sticky due to the presence of calcium phosphate (the same mineral found in bone). 

Archived