Gemworld 2018 Part 2 (A perfect day)

Darktooth

I wanted to share my experience with you. This is not a story about fossils per se, but more a story about humanity, kindness, meeting people and making new friends, and re-connecting with old friends. I brought the boys back to the show today for round two. Partly I wantwd to try to either sell a few items, or trade. Secondly I wanted the boys and I to help out where we could because the show was short staffed. When we arrived I brought them to the youth section to help with th sluice and soap stone carving. I went on my quest to make a deal. Long story short on that topic, no deal were to be had, but I had some nice conversations with different dealers. I actually met I guy you lives across the valley from Cole Hill. He has found Dipleuras on his own property which lead to a nice conversation. We exchanged numbers and are trying to plan a hunt together. I decided to go back to the youth section and relieve the boys of their duty and took over. The area was filled with parents are their children. It was the perfect time to to talk with people and crack some jokes. It was nice to mingle and put smiles on their faces. While some seemed to be having a good time, others looked a little crumpy.  A few jokes and encouraging comments changed that for most. I really enjoyed being there to help. I also brought a small bag of some decent quality and size sharkteeth. I reserved these for the last hour of the show. I gave them away to the last kids to come to the youth area. It worked out perfect that I had just enough for every kid. The look of appreciation from the parents and the smiles from the kids was enough to make me happy. There was also a young couple who I got a chance to talk to for awhile. I liked the vibe I got from them. When I left the show I saw them walking to their car so I called them over. I ended up giving them my one and only greenops trilo that I had left from DSR. I don't know I just felt like doing something nice. The best thing that happened though was when I ran into an friend I haven't seen in a long time. Years ago I made friends with an older lady who is a club member. She is probably one of the nicest, most genuine people

that I have ever met. A while ago we lost touch while I went through some tough times. She called a few times and I meant to call back and never did. I felt bad but I was just not in a good place. I went to my car to get something and I saw her leaving the show so I called over to her. It meant a lot to me to see her and I apologized and explained what was going on. I don't know if any of you can relate but I needed a day like today. Just a day filled with good things. Actually I have been on vacation this past week and the entire week has been great. There has been no stress, I have felt relaxed, and i feel like I can go back to work tomorrow and feel recharged. Thanks for letting me ramble.

Dave

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

I understand completely. It’s great that you had a good week, a perfect day, and the opportunity to make other people’s day as well! People can forget what not having stress is like, and it’s important to relax now and then. 

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Great news!!! Goes to show this "hobby" provides more relief to the participant than the thrill of looking for a fossil. I just finished a month long project about fossils  with the local library. It was so satisfying and  came away from the library each time with a new outlook on life. So I know what you mean Darktooth.DSC_0365.thumb.JPG.409adf95f63e4e3658216377c4f220d4.JPG

How much did you pay off the editor for that article Mike?! :rofl:

Sounds like you did a great thing for the kids and community alike. I'll bet you feel more enriched for doing so as well.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Dave, go ahead and take the rest of the Summer off, on me.

If anyone complains, just tell them Doren said it was alright. They'll understand.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

14 hours ago, Fruitbat said:

Rambling is a good thing!  It sounds like you had a very relaxing, richly-needed respite from the hubbub of daily life!

-Joe

13 hours ago, WhodamanHD said:

I understand completely. It’s great that you had a good week, a perfect day, and the opportunity to make other people’s day as well! People can forget what not having stress is like, and it’s important to relax now and then. 

13 hours ago, ynot said:

:thumbsu::thumbsu:

6 hours ago, minnbuckeye said:

Great news!!! Goes to show this "hobby" provides more relief to the participant than the thrill of looking for a fossil. I just finished a month long project about fossils  with the local library. It was so satisfying and  came away from the library each time with a new outlook on life. So I know what you mean Darktooth.DSC_0365.thumb.JPG.409adf95f63e4e3658216377c4f220d4.JPG

5 hours ago, caldigger said:

How much did you pay off the editor for that article Mike?! :rofl:

Sounds like you did a great thing for the kids and community alike. I'll bet you feel more enriched for doing so as well.

5 hours ago, caldigger said:

Dave, go ahead and take the rest of the Summer off, on me.

If anyone complains, just tell them Doren said it was alright. They'll understand.

Thanks to everyone for the comments.  I quess I didn't realize how bad I needed some good things to happen in my life till it happened. And Doren I am going to tell my Supervisor , right now that you said I can take the rest of the Summer off!;)

Take a break and come to Minnesota. You can help me at the library!!! We can split the utils of joy produced. In fact, I will take just 49%, you get 51%.

21 hours ago, minnbuckeye said:

Take a break and come to Minnesota. You can help me at the library!!! We can split the utils of joy produced. In fact, I will take just 49%, you get 51%.

I would love too but I don't know where I could fit that into my already busy schedule. 

On 7/15/2018 at 10:53 PM, Darktooth said:

...While some seemed to be having a good time, others looked a little crumpy.  A few jokes and encouraging comments changed that for most. I really enjoyed being there to help...

You have a way of bringing out the best in people, Dave. Thanks for sharing your weekend with us, and with the people at the show. Good vibes all around. 

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

1 hour ago, Pagurus said:

You have a way of bringing out the best in people, Dave. Thanks for sharing your weekend with us, and with the people at the show. Good vibes all around. 

I appreciate the kind words Mike!

Archived