BuddingPaleo

This is probably an easy one for you guys. I have around 20 of these, so they must be common, I just can't seem to find one online that matches them. Sw Fl.  Thanks!

20180716_125519.jpg

20180716_125036.jpg

What You have is a steinkern, a cast of the inside of a clam.

It is almost impossible to identify to species without seeing the outside of the shell.

• I found this Informative 1

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

4 minutes ago, ynot said:

What You have is a steinkern, a cast of the inside of a clam.

It is almost impossible to identify to species without seeing the outside of the shell.

Does this shot of pattern help? Very degraded, I know. 

20180716_125630.jpg

1 minute ago, ynot said:

Someone else may have an idea, but not Me.

Me either, lol. Thanks for looking at it!

We can narrow it a bit more; it is an internal mold (steinkern) of a type of bivalve (clam) called an arc shell.  However there are several genera (Arca, Anadara, Barbatia etc) and it would be difficult to assign your fossil to one of these.  It might help if we knew where you collected it, as that might pinpoint a formation and so lead to a possible ID.

Don

• I found this Informative 5

Just now, FossilDAWG said:

We can narrow it a bit more; it is an internal mold (steinkern) of a type of bivalve (clam) called an arc shell.  However there are several genera (Arca, Anadara, Barbatia etc) and it would be difficult to assign your fossil to one of these.  It might help if we knew where you collected it, as that might pinpoint a formation and so lead to a possible ID.

Don

Sorry, thought I put location. Sw florida, corkscrew swamp area. I honestly don't know if I'm in any particular noted formation. I've looked at the maps but it doesn't name anything but time period, which is Plio Pleistocene. 

I agree with @FossilDAWG that it is an ark shell. It could be a turkey wing, they are common in Naples. I've found many internal and external shell molds in Tampa Bay Florida and I agree they are very hard to identify. I haven't come across a clam like yours yet. Here are some good resources/books I checked out at the library and were very helpful. Florida's Fossils, Roadside Geology of Florida and Florida's Seashells. Also a good website: http://www.aphotomarine.com/bivalve_arca_imbricata.html

17 hours ago, Bronzviking said:

I agree with @FossilDAWG that it is an ark shell. It could be a turkey wing, they are common in Naples. I've found many internal and external shell molds in Tampa Bay Florida and I agree they are very hard to identify. I haven't come across a clam like yours yet. Here are some good resources/books I checked out at the library and were very helpful. Florida's Fossils, Roadside Geology of Florida and Florida's Seashells. Also a good website: http://www.aphotomarine.com/bivalve_arca_imbricata.html

Thank you! That's a wealth of info as well. I can't wait to look it all up. :)

I  just went to your link and immediately was reminded of these guys. I had been trying to ID these for a while, they're so weirdly eroded. I thought they were cockles maybe, could they, too, be ark shells?

20180603_135713.jpg

20180603_135843.jpg

Your welcome! The first one doesn't have much detail so it's hard to ID accept a bivalve. I did notice boring marks (looks like X's) caused by marine worms. If you could take a few more angles of the second one and give me the measurements I might be able to identify it. I'm leaning towards cockle shell. :)

That actually is the same one, just the underside of it. I can add the other one though, just have to get pics of it. I'll do that shortly. Thanks :) it was just the ghosty (think pac-man) vibe from the skirted area. But they both eroded the same. I'll go get pics of the other. Kinda looks like just the arched portion if you broke away the long parts. But cockle was my original thought. 

I lied, you're right, I accidentally took a pic of the wrong bottom...lol Sorry. 

20180720_141610.jpg

20180720_141531.jpg

20180720_141458.jpg

20180720_141801.jpg

The side view in your hand looks like a heart shape which could be a Cockle, sometimes known as a Heart Clam. :D

Google heart clam mold fossil and compare images.