Stomach fossil????

Crazyhen

This is a fossil from Guizhou.  One could see some bones belonging to ichthyosaur but there is another more puzzling thing there, it looks like a stomach, even with seemingly partially digested ammonites (not the intact one nearby).  Any idea if it is really a stomach fossil?

0F5C419A-4851-4E36-A757-95BC30F4126D.jpeg

93BBEF5B-F283-4F18-A631-D2EB4D75E89E.jpeg

B197A404-886D-4B7D-AD0E-0151CF45BA88.jpeg

7 minutes ago, GeschWhat said:

What is that below it?

Bones of ichthyosaur.  Like the one below.

KTHX3515.JPG

10 minutes ago, GeschWhat said:

It sure does have the right shape. Can you provide more closeups?

@Carl here is a fun one!

I am sorry but I only receive these few photos.  Is it really possible to have stomach fossil?

41 minutes ago, Crazyhen said:

I am sorry but I only receive these few photos.  Is it really possible to have stomach fossil?

It is. But I think this might be stomach contents rather than the stomach itself. I am no expert, but I know ichthyosaurs had a taste for squid (see here). If there are ichthyosaurs bones are present it could be the stomach contents from that animal. If it is unassociated, it could be the stomach contents from a soft bodied animal like a squid. They are know to eat other squids, so why not ammonites. You would need much better photos to confirm this, but if this is something you are thinking of buying, I would buy it just to get a closer look. :)

• I found this Informative 3

Another one, again with squid only. This article has a nice twist, however. Turns out it is a new ichthy species and the named it after Mary Anning :)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2961595/Ichthyosaurs-taste-squid-Forgotten-museum-fossil-new-species-complete-meal-stomach.html

• I found this Informative 1

Everything is generated through your own will power ~ Ray Bradbury

The presence of tiny hooks from a squid diet seems to be the common denominator in determining if it is the stomach from an ichthyosaur fossil.

Maybe a coprolite? But I assume you would have thought of that possibility already, Lori. I'm just not sure how to tell if it is the intact contents of a stomach rather than a turd.

11 hours ago, GeschWhat said:

but I know ichthyosaurs had a taste for squid (see here)

apologies, Lori, I did not realize I posted virtually the same article as was in your link :doh!:

• 2 weeks later...