GeschWhat

Coprolite Identification

Darktooth

Lori, I now dub thee, "The Queen of Poo"!  Thanks for the info!:)

GeschWhat
15 minutes ago, Darktooth said:

Lori, I now dub thee, "The Queen of Poo"!  Thanks for the info!:)

Such an honor...I'm sure my mom and dad will be very proud. I better go practice my wave. :)

caldigger

I thus dub thee Princess of Poopdom!

WhodamanHD

Duchess of dookie?

DPS Ammonite

Good job Queen of the Coprolite Kingdom. This needs to be pinned. @Fossildude19

Carl
13 hours ago, GeschWhat said:

Rather than writing information about coprolite identification on multiple threads, I thought I would post information about coprolite identification here so it can be referenced in ID threads (I'm getting lazy, I know). I was also thinking it might be fun for others to post coprolites in their own collections so others can use them for comparison. So here we go...

@Carl do you have anything you want to add?

I have nothing to add because, of course, you have stated it perfectly and completely. Bravo! You've done a real crappy job.

Fossildude19

@GeschWhat 

I # 2 that, ... err, ... I mean, ... second that.  :blush: :P 

Moved to Fossil ID and Pinned.  ;) 

MeargleSchmeargl

So basically, I know it's poo if it looks and feels like a crappy piece of poo.

Duly noted! :D

GeschWhat
22 hours ago, WhodamanHD said:

Duchess of dookie?

Now I really like that one...very regal. I may just have to change my title. :)

GeschWhat
11 hours ago, Fossildude19 said:

@GeschWhat 

I # 2 that, ... err, ... I mean, ... second that.  :blush: :P 

Moved to Fossil ID and Pinned.  ;) 

See this is another reason I love studying coprolies, poop is pun!

WhodamanHD

May I just add that “coprofauna” is one of the top ten best words I’ve ever heard:D

MarcoSr
19 hours ago, WhodamanHD said:

May I just add that “coprofauna” is one of the top ten best words I’ve ever heard:D

I took all of the pictures for the GSA poster presentation.  Adrian Hunt wrote most of the text and gets the credit for "coprofauna".

Marco Sr.

WhodamanHD
4 hours ago, MarcoSr said:

I took all of the pictures for the GSA poster presentation.  Adrian Hunt wrote most of the text and gets the credit for "coprofauna".

Marco Sr.

Good job helping science! :dinothumb:Though I know this is just one of the many you’ve helped with.

Is that site still there? I know it hasn’t been open to most collectors for a few decades now, but I heard it was built over.

I solute Adrian Hunt and his crappy (in the best way) wordsmithing!

MarcoSr
15 hours ago, WhodamanHD said:

Good job helping science! :dinothumb:Though I know this is just one of the many you’ve helped with.

Is that site still there? I know it hasn’t been open to most collectors for a few decades now, but I heard it was built over.

I solute Adrian Hunt and his crappy (in the best way) wordsmithing!

The owner of the main collecting area sold the land to a community developer years ago.  A community sediment pond was built on part of the site.  Houses were built on some more of the site.  The remaining area was dug out years ago.   I have not been able to find the bone bed layer on adjacent properties which I have owner permission to collect.

Marco Sr.

WhodamanHD
32 minutes ago, MarcoSr said:

The owner of the main collecting area sold the land to a community developer years ago.  A community sediment pond was built on part of the site.  Houses were built on some more of the site.  The remaining area was dug out years ago.   I have not been able to find the bone bed layer on adjacent properties which I have owner permission to collect.

Marco Sr.

Another one bites the dust, Sadly.

MarcoSr

Bulletin 57 Vertebrate Coprolites 2012 from the New Mexico Museum of Natural History & Science contains over 40 papers about vertebrate coprolites.  This bulletin is a great resource if you are interested in coprolites.  The below link to Bulletin 57 allows free download and printing of all 40+ papers.

http://econtent.unm.edu/cdm/compoundobject/collection/bulletins/id/1850/rec/152

Marco Sr.

Harry Pristis

This one from the Peace River has always been a favorite.  It is very hard, resisting erosion from the loopy top, and pretty much pristine on the underside.

coproliteCatA.JPG

coproliteCatB.JPG

fifbrindacier

@GeschWhatand @Carl, what is the ratio to know what size is the bug that produced a coprolite ?

GeschWhat
On 7/21/2018 at 4:24 PM, Harry Pristis said:

This one from the Peace River has always been a favorite.  It is very hard, resisting erosion from the loopy top, and pretty much pristine on the underside.

coproliteCatA.JPG

coproliteCatB.JPG

That is beautiful!

ynot
1 minute ago, GeschWhat said:

That is beautiful!

In the eyes of the bee holder!:D

GeschWhat
4 minutes ago, fifbrindacier said:

@GeschWhatand @Carl, what is the ratio to know what size is the bug that produced a coprolite ?

I don't know of any studies regarding arthropod size as compared to their poo. The best we can do is compare dropping size with those of extant species. The only bug coprolites I am somewhat familiar with are from termites. For the most part they measure approximately 0.3 mm across, and are about 0.5 mm in length. But there are variations. I have this example of petrified wood from the Aachen Formation (Cretaceous) in Aachen Germany that has multiple size coprolites in the same galleries. My best guess is that the larger coprolites are perhaps from a king or queen, and the tiny ones are from juveniles. However, there could be other species involved. Here are photos of the Aachen specimen.

Termite-Coprolite-Petrified-Wood-Aachen-Germany-2a-small.jpg

Termite-Coprolite-Petrified-Wood-Aachen-Germany-Micro-1-small.jpg

Termite-Coprolite-Petrified-Wood-Aachen-Germany-Micro-1a-small.jpg

Termite-Coprolite-Petrified-Wood-Aachen-Germany-Micro-4a-small.jpg

Termite-Coprolite-Petrified-Wood-Aachen-Germany-Micro-5-small.jpg

GeschWhat
On 7/17/2018 at 8:08 AM, MarcoSr said:

For comparison below are Oligocene terrestrial coprolites from my sons' ranch in Nebraska

Very nice! A couple look like they have tiny inclusions. Do you ever run into anything that looks like these when you are out there? They are herbivore coprolites from the Oligocene (Brule Formation) that were found in Shannon County, South Dakota. They are just a couple of examples of the Science Museum of Minnesota collection and are attributed to Titanotheres. 

IMG_2468-small.jpg

IMG_2478-small.jpg

MarcoSr
5 minutes ago, GeschWhat said:

Very nice! A couple look like they have tiny inclusions. Do you ever run into anything that looks like these when you are out there? They are herbivore coprolites from the Oligocene (Brule Formation) that were found in Shannon County, South Dakota. They are just a couple of examples of the Science Museum of Minnesota collection and are attributed to Titanotheres.

Lori

The herbivore coprolites don't fossilize very well and are pretty rare in the badlands.  They must have been similar to modern cow pies.  Also their thin form makes it easy for them to break apart even if they do fossilize.  Their flat shape makes them really blend into the formation.  I haven't seen any yet but I do look for them.

Marco Sr.