Extract ammonite with hand tools?

Esoteric

I went fossil hunting in Lyme Regis for the first time in my life. I cracked open a nodule and found this ammonite "fossil". When I tried to brush the fossil area with a plastic brush is seemed to scratch away the fossil as well. The detail has disappeared. Is this just a poorly preserved fossil?

If it is a proper fossil... what can I use as hand tools to release it? I don't want to invest in a dremel tool, and don't mind hard graft with hand tools if it's an option. The rock is super soft and easy to remove. I looked online and saw something about freezing and then running it under hot water as an option. Thanks in advance for any help!

-Justin-

Photo 17-07-2018, 10 51 21 am.jpg

It seems that this is a "Steinkern" and a cast, outside and inside (nearly) the same material with the shell of the ammonite dissolved away, only leaving impression in the soft rock. I think dental picks would be an option, as this is very soft. Freezing-thawing might be dangerous, could result in complete disintegration. But I have zero (0.00) experience with this material, please wait for more educated opinions!

Good luck.

Franz Bernhard

• I found this Informative 1

@FranzBernhard Ah, so not a decent fossil since it's so soft. Shame I was really excited. heh. Might just lacquer the impression or something. Trophy of my first ever find.

I'll just have to wait until I go again to see if I can find something better. Might be awhile since I live in London.

The fossil looks OK for what it is, it's an ammonite in shale. Hand tools are the best way forward here, and very carefully. The rock and the fossil are almost the same hardness so a cheap modelling knife from Poundland might be the best tool to scrape away the rock, but take time over it. You might find a few more fossils in the block as you trim it and clean it, 

• I found this Informative 1

If its your first fossil, maybe just let it in the state it is already, if it is not falling apart. There will be invaluable memories associated with this specimen forever.

Decent or not - it is a real fossil! I unterstand your exitement, every fossilhunter will unterstand it. Its the "trace" of a longe gone living beeing, a witness of an evolving planet - simply fascinating.

London - maybe there are fossil sites not far away? There are some members from UK here on the forum.

Franz Bernhard

1 minute ago, Taogan said:

The fossil looks OK for what it is, it's an ammonite in shale

Is there really any shell left? I am not familiar with this material.

Thanks!

Franz Bernhard