Rowboater

Went out to the same creek.  Muggy and hot, and not finding much beyond six angel shark teeth, and the usual spikes some with cusps, and lots of broken stuff (so I picked up a lot of glossy black marked stuff to go thru later out of boredom; some pictured).  Mosquitoes when cloudy, biting flies when sunny.  Medium sized frogs  (3-4") everywhere and seemed totally unafraid, kept climbing on my digging stuff and equipment and shoes ; was hoping they were eating the biting bugs, but seemed to be lots of small salamanders where they were more concentrated.  Although expected the water quality to be excellent with all the life around, I noticed a 'swimming itch'-like rash on both forearms a few hours after reaching home, probably from reaching up under banks and scrapping against mud, shell bits, sand and gravel.  Seems to be going away now.  Hoping for a good thunderstorm to flush out the creek a bit, maybe tonight.  7-18-18-teeth.thumb.jpg.ff024c86b9ad4ba7f786ba0023acb5e6.jpg

Nice! It’s strange how your finds are a majority sand tiger while at the cliffs Carcharhinids make up the bulk of the finds.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Nice finds. I was once at some ice cream shop in front of a long field that runs all the way down to the rapp river. If you look hard enough you’ll make out a sudden decline in the field. A friend told me that that decline was once where the shoreline of the river used to be. Don’t really know how accurate this is but it made sense. The decline was a couple football fields maybe more from the actual shoreline of the river. 

12 hours ago, WhodamanHD said:

Nice! It’s strange how your finds are a majority sand tiger while at the cliffs Carcharhinids make up the bulk of the finds.

Yes, it is curious!  "Productive" spots often yield 5 to 10 sand shark spikes per shovel of shell bits, gravel and sand, and often the ones with cusps seem segregated from those more weathered, without roots.  The mildly serated Carcharhinids seem everywhere, but concentrated nowhere.  I (and others) hunted the small area hard where I found great white/ mako teeth and turned up a few more.  Similarly cow shark teeth, and angel shark teeth seem to be found only in two places I hunt.  I think some of the deposits of teeth from millions of years ago are fairly undisturbed just being exposed, but the bulk are washed about the creek and redeposited, often concentrating in creek holes.  There have been no major changes in the creek bed in 50 years, so it's amazing that it still yields so many teeth (although bigger stuff has mostly been collected).

10 hours ago, Shark Tooth Hunter said:

Nice finds. I was once at some ice cream shop in front of a long field that runs all the way down to the rapp river. If you look hard enough you’ll make out a sudden decline in the field. A friend told me that that decline was once where the shoreline of the river used to be. Don’t really know how accurate this is but it made sense. The decline was a couple football fields maybe more from the actual shoreline of the river. 

Large changes in the river shorelines have happened frequently over the last two hundred years with flooding and shifting channels, particularly upstream.  It's a big concern for property owners on the rivers, along with erosion.

Even the little creek bed, less than 25 feet wide, where I hunt changes its 'channel' a bit every year, the flowing water often switching sides in the creek bed year-to-year and plants growing vigorously over favored hunting spots from the past.  Falling trees and limbs have effects as well.

Archived