Late Eocene fish that swam with Basilosaurus cetoides

Bone guy

Hello. I'm currently working on a basilosaurus sketch as a project. The sketch is based off of Basilosaurus cetoides. I wanted to add a few fish to liven up the whole drawing, but I'm not familiar with late Eocene fish from the U.S. east coast. Would anyone be able to help me out? :) 

I know more middle Eocene fish, as I’ve heard of them from Muddy Creek (a now destroyed site in Virginia). Though I do know that Myliobatis and Otodus sokolovi/sokolowi (possibly synonymous with O. auriculatus) lived at this time. If middle woven fish would do, Trichiurides saggitidens and albula oweni as well as chondrichthyians, striatolamia microta, Carcharias hopei, Ginglymostoma maroccanum, Odontaspis winkleri, isistius trituratus, megasqualus orpiensis, Pachygaleus lefevrei, and more. And no that is not from top of the head, had to look it up. Hope this helps a bit?

• I found this Informative 1

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Hi Bone Guy,

I can´t help you with the fish, but am looking forward to see your sketch!

J

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something

Thomas Henry Huxley

13 hours ago, WhodamanHD said:

I know more middle Eocene fish, as I’ve heard of them from Muddy Creek (a now destroyed site in Virginia). Though I do know that Myliobatis and Otodus sokolovi/sokolowi (possibly synonymous with O. auriculatus) lived at this time. If middle woven fish would do, Trichiurides saggitidens and albula oweni as well as chondrichthyians, striatolamia microta, Carcharias hopei, Ginglymostoma maroccanum, Odontaspis winkleri, isistius trituratus, megasqualus orpiensis, Pachygaleus lefevrei, and more. And no that is not from top of the head, had to look it up. Hope this helps a bit?

This is a huge help! Thank you.

Here's the finished product. This is my first sketch in a while, so it's not perfect. I think I may have made the Basilosaurus' skull a bit too big, but overall I'm happy with the result. I'm hoping I can eventually get a Basilosaurus tooth that can go along with this piece. The shark was just added for detail and naturalness/scenery. 

IMG_1035.JPG

Hi Bone Guy, nice drawing! it looks whalish and reptilian at the same time, as Basilosaurus should.

It could be a bit more muscular, and as you said the skull is maybe a tad to long, but great nonetheless! I also like the shark.

Have you tried inverting the image in Photoshop (or paint)? I could imagine that this gives a nice underwater effect given the reddish tint of the scan.

Cheers

J

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something

Thomas Henry Huxley