Shell on shells on shells.. Northwest Kansas ID

Torie

Found this little guy about 2-2.5 inches in Northwest Kansas. I was thinking it was some kind of shell maybe on another shell, or perhaps a layred rock.  When I found it, all that could be seen was a tip of the darker brown shell, the rest was completely covered  in, I believe, limestone. 

Anyone know what I’m looking at exactly here? I have another piece much larger that looks very similar, but I am still working on cleaning and preparing it. Once it is finished I will also post pictures of that one. 

I can add more pictures as well. 

AC79F318-0CA1-41D7-B4A5-4AE6B8BD4554.jpeg

E7091029-B028-44E5-AB14-50938FDD3156.jpeg

16 minutes ago, Monica said:

I think I'm going crazy because this piece looks toothy to me...?

It does 

• I found this Informative 2

Just now, Rockwood said:

Looks barnacley to me. 

Out of curiosity, what catches you as barnacle like? Because I'm a newbie and don't see it. 

20 minutes ago, BuddingPaleo said:

Out of curiosity, what catches you as barnacle like? Because I'm a newbie and don't see it. 

The faint lines running up the base of the walls.

In trying to make the age fit I came across info. which suggests that rudists can look like barnacles however. They would seem a better temporal fit.

• I found this Informative 3

It would be really helpful to see more angles. I see what you're looking at now. I've got a large barnacle collection, and while they're not from the same areas or times even, they appear to hold pretty steadfast. I took close ups of two approx the same size and have been comparing and contrasting general features of the 'petals', are you thinking the area like along the bottom? This is about 3 inches, it's pretty close looking. Wish my eye was that good!

20180717_205843.jpg

1 hour ago, Monica said:

Where exactly in Kansas was it found?  Here's a link to a geological map of Kansas - perhaps you can pinpoint the age of the specimen that you've found?

http://www.kgs.ku.edu/General/geolSheetMap.html

PS - Welcome to the forum! :)

Ellis county 

I do believe around the Ogallala Formation area. 

Edited by Torie
  • I found this Informative 1

1 hour ago, Bullsnake said:

Pseudoperna congesta?

I think so too. Seeing pictures, I think they look very similar. 

• I found this Informative 1

The bottom picture is great. It does look barnacley from that angle. If you zoom in on it, kinda looks like smaller broken bases. 

7 hours ago, Bullsnake said:

Pseudoperna congesta?

The last shot does make it much easier to go there. It would be on the edge of an inoceramid. 

Pseudoperna congesta on inoceramids are a common find in the Niobrara chalk, which has exposure through much of Kansas.  My own finds of this sort come from Nebraska, but are still Niobrara chalk.

1 minute ago, Cowboy Paleontologist said:

Pseudoperna congesta on inoceramids are a common find in the Niobrara chalk, which has exposure through much of Kansas.  My own finds of this sort come from Nebraska, but are still Niobrara chalk.

Here is a horrible picture of one of the bigger pieces I found, but you can see that edge. My guess is that it is incrusted with that Niobrara Chalk? I will get a good picture once I have cleaned all that off. There are many little Pseudoperna Congesta, I think. Some have been smashed, some seem to almost be perfect. 

29D11BA2-BCEA-43F8-9203-3B168FF75B5D.jpeg

99.99% sure it is a piece of inoceramus shell with congesta oysters in Fort Hays limestone.

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

1 hour ago, Torie said:

I will get a good picture once I have cleaned all that off. 

Careful !

That's probably what's holding it together to a great extent. Those shells are almost pure perforation when it comes to breaking. 

25 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

Careful !

That's probably what's holding it together to a great extent. Those shells are almost pure perforation when it comes to breaking. 

Will do. I have been having great luck so far. Any suggestions? Any help will be so appreciated. I’m even newer to this than a newbie. Haha. :)

27 minutes ago, Ramo said:

99.99% sure it is a piece of inoceramus shell with congesta oysters in Fort Hays limestone.

How can I tell it is limestone, versus maybe sandstone, chalk, or anything else? I need so much help with rock/mineral identification. :) 

21 minutes ago, Torie said:

Will do. I have been having great luck so far. Any suggestions? Any help will be so appreciated. I’m even newer to this than a newbie. Haha. :)

If you've scratched one of these pieces you have more experience prepping them than I do.

My experience was finding one solid enough to make it home without needing any prep..

Packaging for the backpack is my specialty. :)

It usually costs me a little extra as a guilt fee in the tip for housekeeping. I tend to be messy and in a hurry. 

6 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

If you've scratched one of these pieces you have more experience prepping them than I do.

My experience was finding one solid enough to make it home without needing any prep..

Packaging for the backpack is my specialty. :)

It usually costs me a little extra as a guilt fee in the tip for housekeeping. I tend to be messy and in a hurry. 

Oh, that’s so cool! I’d love that! 

I very much enjoy prepping, can’t really explain why. Haha. I haven’t found anything without rock almost completely incrusted around it. 

I'm sure it's fort hays limestone, which technically is niobrara chalk, but not the layer most of us think of when we think of niobrara chalk.  Very abanduant in Ellis county ( where fort hays is located), much harder than the chalk out west.  If you strike it with a hammer, it rings, where the chalk out west " thuds"

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

22 minutes ago, Ramo said:

I'm sure it's fort hays limestone, which technically is niobrara chalk, but not the layer most of us think of when we think of niobrara chalk.  Very abanduant in Ellis county ( where fort hays is located), much harder than the chalk out west.  If you strike it with a hammer, it rings, where the chalk out west " thuds"

Oh I see. That’s very cool. I see it everywhere. It was found in Hays, so it definitely makes sense. Thank you so much