Budget beginners fossils

Heavy_D

So I have a question. What are some of the best budget fossils for the beginning collector? I’m just getting into fossil collecting, and I don’t really have a focus yet, I’d just like to start off with a few representative pieces and then eventually I might try to narrow down my collecting scope. I’ve been browsing the forums a bit, and I’ve noticed some nice ammonites and trilobites can be had without breaking the bank, there’s some nice second quality Megalodon teeth out there that are reasonable, plants and fish from the Green River area are priced right, and there’s some affordable and good looking Spinosaur and Mosasaur stuff from Morocco (although from what I’ve read I’m a bit leery about some of it). Is there anything else that anyone would recommend for a beginning collection? My interests have always ran towards the large theropods and ceratopsians, but like I said, I’m starting small and eventually someday I hope to own that monster T-Rex tooth that everyone dreams of. Thanks for all the help.

Hi.

If you have a small budget but wants to have some cool stuff, I recommend buying Moroccan fossils such as trilobites, mosasaur teeth and bones, raptor, shark, fish,... Spinosaurus and Carcharodontosaurus teeth are quite easy to get, especially Spinosaurus teeth under 20$.

If you like trilobites, you can find any for very cheap (3-5$ to more expensive stuff 20-50$) all sizes,all shapes.

Dinosaur material is often more expensive, especially American Dino material. 

T-Rex fossils are often very hard to get at reasonable prices unfortunately but they do pop up from now and the on our favorite auction site.

I would recommend for you to have the basic Dino material (spino,carc,...) and then make your way up to get bigger stuff.

@Troodon would be the best guy to ask about theropod fossils. I am sure he could give you some very good tips. :) 

Hope this helps! 

Kind regards

• I found this Informative 2

Agreed with @DatFossilBoy, but good dinosaur material even from Kem Kem can still cost quite a lot. Spinosaurus teeth are among the most common dinosaur material from that area, Abelisaurid and Raptor material from Kem Kem can be cheap but it depends on the quality. You can find cheap fish fossils as well such as Lycoptera and Knightia. Trilobites are fairly cheap and common depending on where it is from, size, quality, species and preparation quality. If you are an absolute beginner I recommend you start with either Kem Kem or common shark material(I could sell you some cheaper shark teeth if you would like). But my advice is go for quality over quantity.

Regards, indominus rex

Life started in the ocean. And so did my interest in fossils;).

There's a lot of good stuff from Morocco. As has been said, Spinosaur and Mosasaur teeth or trilobites can be quite cheap. But any fossil from Morocco should be approached with caution as SO many fossils get faked there. Abelisaurid teeth can also be cheap enough but are often sold as raptor. Raptor teeth from Kem Kem are quite rare.

Mosasaur teeth can be nice beginner teeth. But watch out for ones with roots are those get faked more often. Loose tooth crowns rarely get faked.

Since you say you're also into Ceratopsians, Triceratops teeth are sometimes quite cheap. It varies and depending on the quality you might be able to find a nice deal.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

If i was to restart from scratch i’d go for quality over quantity. 

Morrocan fossils are good, but always post them on the forum first to make sure they’re not fabricated.

Yorkshire Coast Fossil Hunter

Looks like you've gotten some great advice just buy what you like and interest you..  Are there any fossil shows usually called Gem and Mineral shows that you can go and check out to see whats out there.  If you decide to go Moroccan, enough said, but do post your interest here and we will do our best to keep problems out of your new collection.  If you're interested in some online sites that sell a variety of fossils I can pm them to you.  Have fun its a great hobby and experience 

Best place on the web to buy fossils is the "auctions to benefit the (fossil) forum".

The items that come up for sale there often sell for far below their retail value.

• I found this Informative 1

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Thanks for the great replies. Looks like I’ve got a few things to check into, and I will definitely be using the ID forum to help make sure things are legit.  

@Troodon unfortunately most of the gem and mineral shows take place about 3-4 hours from where I’m at. I live in the heart of nowhere, trust me. However, I am planning on going to the one closest to me when they have it next year. I would definitely be interested in any online sites you could recommend, thanks.  

@ynot oh, I’m definitely keeping an eye on the auction page!

And don’t forget about plant and insect fossils. You can often pick up these types of fossils for very good prices.

6 hours ago, Sagebrush Steve said:

And don’t forget about plant and insect fossils. You can often pick up these types of fossils for very good prices.

Never even thought about insect fossils! Usually when it comes to ancient insects I automatically think of amber, which can be pricey, but the fossils themselves never crossed my mind. 

5 hours ago, Heavy_D said:

Never even thought about insect fossils! Usually when it comes to ancient insects I automatically think of amber, which can be pricey, but the fossils themselves never crossed my mind. 

Here is an example of a fly I have from the Parachute Creek Formation in Colorado  (Diptera sp. for those of you who want to be scientifically accurate).  

3161BC66-B4D4-4B45-983A-90D0A8348F85.thumb.jpeg.053e9aae61de3f55074340b918456b25.jpeg

Fern fossil slabs

Green River fish are a bargain (often!)

Ohio trilobites are often lovely and cheap!

You are also in a good area for crinoids and corals, if those fit your fancy.

I used to have cousins outside of Louisville and remember there being crinoid hash everywhere.

Look up areas around you that may produce fossils and go dig some yourself.

There is nothing like the thrill of self discovery. :)

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

7 hours ago, caldigger said:

You are also in a good area for crinoids and corals, if those fit your fancy.

I used to have cousins outside of Louisville and remember there being crinoid hash everywhere.

Look up areas around you that may produce fossils and go dig some yourself.

There is nothing like the thrill of self discovery. :)

I’ve always wanted to find my own, but never had any idea how to get started, or even where to start looking. 

1 minute ago, Heavy_D said:

I’ve always wanted to find my own, but never had any idea how to get started, or even where to start looking. 

Hello there!

Here's a link to a geologic map of Kentucky:

http://www.uky.edu/KGS/geoky/

Depending on how east you are in Kentucky, it appears you're likely in an area where the rock is from the Pennsylvanian subperiod (part of the Carboniferous period).

When I started looking for fossils in my area, I used Google, and found that people in my area were finding fossils along creeks and rivers in the western part of the Toronto area.  So, I looked at maps and found places where these waterways are easy to access (mainly close to bridges), and I specifically kept an eye out for areas that have a lot of exposed rock rather than vegetation right up to the water's edge.  Perhaps a little search like that might result in you finding some nice fossil hunting locations close to your home...

Best of luck in your hunt!

Monica

7 minutes ago, Monica said:

Hello there!

Here's a link to a geologic map of Kentucky:

http://www.uky.edu/KGS/geoky/

Depending on how east you are in Kentucky, it appears you're likely in an area where the rock is from the Pennsylvanian subperiod (part of the Carboniferous period).

When I started looking for fossils in my area, I used Google, and found that people in my area were finding fossils along creeks and rivers in the western part of the Toronto area.  So, I looked at maps and found places where these waterways are easy to access (mainly close to bridges), and I specifically kept an eye out for areas that have a lot of exposed rock rather than vegetation right up to the water's edge.  Perhaps a little search like that might result in you finding some nice fossil hunting locations close to your home...

Best of luck in your hunt!

Monica

Thanks! Yeah, I’m way over in that Pennsylvanian period area. May have to use some Google-fu and see what I can find out for this area and that era. 

I may also add, it would be a good idea to locate a local fossil/mineral club to join. There will likely be many members that can point you in the right direction as well as have outings to places many individuals may not have access to.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

53 minutes ago, caldigger said:

I may also add, it would be a good idea to locate a local fossil/mineral club to join. There will likely be many members that can point you in the right direction as well as have outings to places many individuals may not have access to.

Been looking into it. There’s nothing close locally, but there’s a couple about two hours away in the closest major city. 

8 hours ago, Heavy_D said:

Been looking into it. There’s nothing close locally, but there’s a couple about two hours away in the closest major city. 

I don't know what it's like down in the States, but there isn't much commitment required to be a part of a geological society up here in Ontario.  I'm part of the Niagara Peninsula Geological Society which is about a 1.5-2 hour drive away from where I live, but I joined so that I could partake in their field trips to Hungry Hollow - perhaps it's the same for you guys south of the border?

1 hour ago, Monica said:

I don't know what it's like down in the States, but there isn't much commitment required to be a part of a geological society up here in Ontario.  I'm part of the Niagara Peninsula Geological Society which is about a 1.5-2 hour drive away from where I live, but I joined so that I could partake in their field trips to Hungry Hollow - perhaps it's the same for you guys south of the border?

Yeah, pretty similar. I’m thinking about joining the semi-local one, if for nothing else to have access to their resources, the opportunity to participate in their field trips, and some local knowledge. 

Hi. I have family that moved to Kentucky I've visited twice in the past two years. Both visits I did some collecting which I must say was quite excellent. All of the sites I visited were roadcuts- Mississippian and Ordovician Ages. A wide variety of fossils were collected including crinoids, blastoids, gastropods, brachiopods, bryozoans, corals, and trilobites. The area between Cincinnati and Maysville I've heard is especially good. Both Lexington and Cincinnati have especially good fossil collecting clubs.  Good luck.