Help with Megalodon Tooth Choosing

pcptrade

I am looking to buy similar Megalodon Tooth with No Repairs/Restorations. Here is a listing that sold recently. I am attaching photos. How much do you think the fair value of this one.-

Megalodon-5.jpg.98e12db639ad93f08f69edd0c22e93f8.jpg

Megalodon-4.jpg.4964e8ca21eea79afa82ed03f748ee1b.jpg

Megalodon-3.jpg.81c11204d35472991a3e5611de6d16fb.jpg

Megalodon-2.jpg.48b30203d44046474f987ab4596f9810.jpg

Megalodon-1.jpg.1d9ec129e0ad48d991ac2497a558b0a4.jpg

Appreciate your thoughts. Thank you.

As per the forum rules, we do not provide appraisals of fossils, nor do we allow links to auction sites here (which I have just removed from your post). 

• I found this Informative 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Sorry, I just joined this forum. I am looking to buy a Megalodon tooth and would like to know fair value so that I am NOT overpaying. Hope you will understand. 

6 minutes ago, pcptrade said:

Sorry, I just joined this forum. I am looking to buy a Megalodon tooth and would like to know fair value so that I am NOT overpaying. Hope you will understand. 

And welcome aboard. :) 

We generally take the view that a fossil is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. Unlike other markets that have more defined values, fossil market values are not as set in stone, as the stone the fossils themselves are set in! :D There are several factors that influence price, of course. Perhaps a member may send you a private message to indicate some fair price ranges, pending those factors. Until then, there is a great deal to peruse here in terms of anything else you'd ever want to know about meg teeth from experienced collectors here.  :) 

• I found this Informative 3

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

PM sent:)

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Megalodon teeth must be considered "common" fossils. The sheer volume of available teeth is staggering compared to many other fossil specimens. However, they are widely collected and cherished by many. Because of their great size and the imagined attendant ferocity of the host creature; they appeal to folks, who are merely casual "collectors," as well as collectors with extensive holdings. This popularity drives their demanded prices - not scarcity. Many are collected by divers. In fairness, this mode of collection does carry some risk and no small amount of expense. Given that factor and the fact the market is so active; it is not surprising that the people who gather these teeth expect a good payday.  

There is also a cult of size/perfection heavily influencing the trade of these pieces. In short, big, perfect teeth command premiums far above a slightly smaller, chipped or worn example. 

Megs definitely are cool. To avoid getting skinned watch the prices on that big on-line auction place for a while until you get a feel for the "market." Decide what size/quality tooth meets your expectations, and then go on the prowl for the best specimen for you. Good luck, have fun.

• I found this Informative 4

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

• Fossildude19 changed the title to Help with Megalodon Tooth Choosing