Hello there!

Since the kids are in day camps this week, and my husband was going to see a movie with his friend this afternoon, I took advantage of the available me-time and went for a little fossil hunt at Etobicoke Creek in Mississauga, Ontario (Georgian Bay Formation, Upper Ordovician).  I have some ideas about what I've found, but I'd like your opinions, too:

Specimen #1: trilobite resting place (Rusophycus, probably made by a Flexicalymene)

DSCN3258.thumb.JPG.5e26e42e0951f459619b1e9d03212822.JPG

Specimen #2: I think this is the monoplacophoran Cyrtolites ornatus - it was very flaky and some pieces fell off, but I tried to glue together the larger pieces

DSCN3272.thumb.JPG.c60a7d3b6c9b282229b187f195457ced.JPG

Specimen #3: brachiopod positive and negative, but the question is which brachiopod?  

DSCN3261.thumb.JPG.f59f41f5d4afb3853fe7b88ee9909e21.JPGDSCN3263.thumb.JPG.f11a0edd08387c8cc43800954ad4ffc4.JPG

Thanks in advance for your help!

Monica

I'm no help, but I can gawk :)  Nice finds!  The Trilobite looks promising! 

Everything is generated through your own will power ~ Ray Bradbury

Thanks for the input, gentlemen!  This is the second Rusophycus that I've found so far, so it's pretty darn exciting for me!!!  Now I just need to find a nice complete trilobite in one of my local areas...fingers crossed that this is the summer when it'll happen!!!

I was thinking that perhaps @Tidgy's Dad might have an opinion on the possible monoplacophoran (and perhaps also for the brachiopod since he's a brachiopodophile :))

Hi Monica: Could you please post a closer shot of the rusophycus. It looks like it is ridiculously well defined -much better than any I've ever found. From the current pic though, it almost looks like the left side could be the axial lobe of a complete bug. Just want to confirm what you've found.

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

9 hours ago, Monica said:

This is the second Rusophycus that I've found so far

Nice finds, Monica!  I have never heard of Rusophycus before. I would have just said it was a well worn trilobite. How does one tell a Rusophycus from a worn one? I assume a Rusophycus show the ventral impression. This looks dorsal to me?????

4 hours ago, Northern Sharks said:

Hi Monica: Could you please post a closer shot of the rusophycus. It looks like it is ridiculously well defined -much better than any I've ever found. From the current pic though, it almost looks like the left side could be the axial lobe of a complete bug. Just want to confirm what you've found.

Hello there!

Here are some closer shots of the possible Rusophycus:

DSCN3273.thumb.JPG.0ee67ad04b1c3c5b99a743b5f986634e.JPGDSCN3274.thumb.JPG.fdc9a68e988e1de034f1d62a9a7c2d8d.JPGDSCN3275.thumb.JPG.f8dfa5cb35f44b788ff8c6b2ab9af1c5.JPGDSCN3276.thumb.JPG.612b86d656cf8d053b1ac9e3d117ce24.JPG

So, what do you think?

Monica

12 hours ago, Monica said:

Thanks for the input, gentlemen!  This is the second Rusophycus that I've found so far, so it's pretty darn exciting for me!!!  Now I just need to find a nice complete trilobite in one of my local areas...fingers crossed that this is the summer when it'll happen!!!

I was thinking that perhaps @Tidgy's Dad might have an opinion on the possible monoplacophoran (and perhaps also for the brachiopod since he's a brachiopodophile :))

6 hours ago, Nimravis said:

Nice finds Monica and I also think the brachiopod King - @Tidgy's Dad could help with ID.

Thanks for your votes of confidence guys, but I think @Peat Burnsis much better at these than me. 

However, I would agree with the monoplacophoran id and tentatively suggest that the orthid could be Plaesiomys ? 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

2 hours ago, minnbuckeye said:

Nice finds, Monica!  I have never heard of Rusophycus before. I would have just said it was a well worn trilobite. How does one tell a Rusophycus from a worn one? I assume a Rusophycus show the ventral impression. This looks dorsal to me?????

Hi Mike!

Unlike most of my other finds, this rock wasn't found loose on the ground - I actually pulled it from a small exposure I found along Etobicoke Creek yesterday (with lower water levels I was able to see it and access it safely).  I was just pulling chunks out and inspecting them when I saw this piece - I can't be exactly sure but I think this piece was face-down and thus not exposed to the elements, which is why I was thinking it could be a Rusophycus rather than a well-worn trilobite.  There is also no evidence of a cephalon nor a clear pygidium which, again, is why I immediately thought it was a trace fossil rather than a fossil of the critter itself.  I've posted more close-up shots of it from different angles so we'll see what the experts decide...

Thanks for popping in! :)

Monica

PS - Here is a link to my first Rusophycus find:

I'm still torn on the "rusophycus". There is no evidence of a cephalon or a pygidium, but worn thoraxes aren't uncommon either. The ridges are exquisite if it's a rusophycus and that's what's throwing me. Do you see any evidence of a 3rd lobe? From some angles, the 2 lobes visible look more or less symmetrical which would indicate rusophycus. If one was an axial lobe of an intact bug, it would be somewhat smaller than the other.

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

1 hour ago, Northern Sharks said:

I'm still torn on the "rusophycus". There is no evidence of a cephalon or a pygidium, but worn thoraxes aren't uncommon either. The ridges are exquisite if it's a rusophycus and that's what's throwing me. Do you see any evidence of a 3rd lobe? From some angles, the 2 lobes visible look more or less symmetrical which would indicate rusophycus. If one was an axial lobe of an intact bug, it would be somewhat smaller than the other.

Hello again!

The central area is concave, while the two outer lobes (the parts with the ridges) are convex - I'll see if I can get a photo of this to show you what I mean...

Monica

2 hours ago, Northern Sharks said:

Okay - here are pictures of what it looks like at eye-level from both ends (sorry about the blurriness):

DSCN3281.thumb.JPG.5d4cd7700318c1948f7b7a984f1426d0.JPG

DSCN3284.thumb.JPG.ab8cf477f41a711a7b3c0eee5f0442ef.JPG

Sorry to bother everyone, but just so I can put away these items with IDs, what do you all think about the trilobite fossil pictured above - is it an actual worn-down bug, or a trace fossil of a bug's resting place (Rusophycus)?

Thanks so much!

Monica

Sure looks like the Rusophycus i saw on line :)

Everything is generated through your own will power ~ Ray Bradbury

These specimens of Rusophycus appear to have similar ridged features.

figures from:

Brandt, D.S., & Rudkin, D. 2011

A curious Rusophycus (arthropod ichnofossil) assemblage from the Upper Ordovician of Ontario, Canada.

Ichnos, An International Journal for Plant and Animal Traces, 18(1):35-40

image.thumb.png.8fc55b3af703a20a551eb74f8cc097fa.png

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

Thank you, gentlemen, for giving your thoughts - they are much appreciated!!!

I will go ahead and mark the trilobite as a Rusophycus :)

I can't help you on the trilo. 

All I can say is that is one fine looking photo cube! ;)

9 hours ago, caldigger said:

I can't help you on the trilo. 

All I can say is that is one fine looking photo cube! ;)

Agreed - the colour is especially fantastic! :fistbump:

Shout out to @aerogrower :)

Rusophycus, as I said before, is new to me!! Had I found that, I may not have brought it home, assuming just a worn trilobite. I am going to have to look more carefully at less than ideal specimens. Thanks for the learning lesson @Monica

2 minutes ago, minnbuckeye said:

Rusophycus, as I said before, is new to me!! Had I found that, I may not have brought it home, assuming just a worn trilobite. I am going to have to look more carefully at less than ideal specimens. Thanks for the learning lesson @Monica

You are very welcome, Mike - we're all here to learn together :1-SlapHands_zpsbb015b76:

Great report and pictures, Monica!

Thanks for sharing.  Good to see you took some "me" time.

The monoplacophoran and the rusophycus are unique finds - very cool.  :) 

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

Sorry for not responding sooner, but as others have said, rusophycus all the way. I really should get down there and check out the GB formation. In all my years of collecting, I've never made the effort to do so despite it being so close. The Verulam fm. treated me so well, I never really felt the need, but now that my regular quarry has banned access...….

Archived