Woopaul5

Been going to the brooks of NJ for over a year now so once I go through my phone I’ll post some more pics on top of my better finds from there.

Today I was fortunate to meet @Trevor and do a little hunting with him. Thanks for showing me some new spots and techniques.

Didn't have the best of days but went home with quite a few.

IE6xAF.jpg

Pci0UD.jpg

Rm9dhl.jpg

Not quite sure what this is. I think it might be a part of a ghost shrimp but could be a concretion.

FflDYO.jpg

vQqfPE.jpg

Hopefully @Trevor will post his finds from today in here. All are more than welcome to share experiences and their trips in here also. Thanks for looking - Paul

8 minutes ago, Woopaul5 said:

Not quite sure what this is. I think it might be a part of a ghost shrimp but could be a concretion.

FflDYO.jpg

vQqfPE.jpg

The pictures are a bit blurry so it is hard to tell, but this looks like a phosphatized gastropod steinkern to me.

Sounds like a good time with some great finds! 

The hunting was overall pretty decent. I had the fortune of meeting Paul and we did some sifting together and talked a bit. Hopefully we can go hunting again Paul. Here are my finds.

IMG_0507.thumb.JPG.92aa4f356070f315beefce31d8066de5.JPGIMG_0507.thumb.JPG.92aa4f356070f315beefce31d8066de5.JPG

: )

Here are some of the better finds of mine over the years

Gem Scapanorynchus texanus lateral. Must of just fell out of the marl 

AvkC4A.jpg

Some Squalicorax Pristodonus 

q1vzOk.jpg

Some tertiary manual material and a scute and vertebrae (unsure what species)

XYUiNF.jpg

Unknown mammal tooth and some sawfish 

XR08Nh.jpg

Mosasaur vertebrae 

xf1mRd.jpg

Stream worn mosasaur tooth and Squalicorax Kaupi

4TlBN7.jpg

Display worthy teeth 

EWpeHS.jpg

XMod55.jpg

jNpim4.jpg

More Squalicorax sp.

g3SsnR.jpg

Finds from my first ever trip

BP3HjI.jpg

18 hours ago, Trevor said:

The hunting was overall pretty decent. I had the fortune of meeting Paul and we did some sifting together and talked a bit. Hopefully we can go hunting again Paul. Here are my finds.

IMG_0507.thumb.JPG.92aa4f356070f315beefce31d8066de5.JPGIMG_0507.thumb.JPG.92aa4f356070f315beefce31d8066de5.JPG

Nice finds. Is that your mosasaur tooth upper right?

So,  you didn't have the best of days? It certainly doesn't look like the worst of days! :)

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

@Woopaul5 Those are some excellent finds. I remember you telling me about the cartilage and large enchodus tooth too. You should post these in the Member's Collection area and also I think you need to collect some more ratfish teeth, if you know what I mean ;). That is a mosasaur tooth in the picture I took.

: )

1 hour ago, Darktooth said:

So,  you didn't have the best of days? It certainly doesn't look like the worst of days! :)

Guess I’ve been spoiled some days... I’ve grown to expect one of my fav teeth ever which is a large Squalicorax Pristodonus every trip. Lol

44 minutes ago, Trevor said:

@Woopaul5 Those are some excellent finds. I remember you telling me about the cartilage and large enchodus tooth too. You should post these in the Member's Collection area and also I think you need to collect some more ratfish teeth, if you know what I mean ;). That is a mosasaur tooth in the picture I took.

Yea... as you can see I displayed a small piece of ratfish in one of my pics. I think it’s one of 2-3 pieces I’ve ever kept. 

Nice finds. In the second pic, the top tooth looks more like Squalicorax lindstromi. In the second pic the top 2 look modern and the bottom left one is a Croc osteoderm and the bottom right one is a partial shark vert. Those look Cretaceous. The bottom fossil in the sixth pic is a partial Ischyrhiza mira rostral, not a Mosasaur tooth.

“You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one.” ― Mikhail Tal

41 minutes ago, Woopaul5 said:

Guess I’ve been spoiled some days... I’ve grown to expect one of my fav teeth ever which is a large Squalicorax Pristodonus every trip. Lol

Just as I suspected,  a simple case of spoiled rotten!:P

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Thanks!!!

All are Cretaceous. I’m fairly certain it’s a tooth vs a rostral. It has a cutting edge to it.

Also on the vert its a part of a disc like on young cetaceans. 

4 minutes ago, Woopaul5 said:

Thanks!!!

All are Cretaceous. I’m fairly certain it’s a tooth vs a rostral. It has a cutting edge to it.

Also on the vert its a part of a disc like on young cetaceans. 

Sawfish rostrals usually have carinae. Cetaceans aren't found in the Cretaceous. That item is one face of a shark vertebra with the rest worn away.

“You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one.” ― Mikhail Tal

I’m just stating it’s like a juvenile cetacean vert disc.

Here’s the reverse side.

aEnGTU.jpg

not saying it’s not a shark vert but if it is it’s a fairly large one then.

1 minute ago, Woopaul5 said:

I’m just stating it’s like a juvenile cetacean vert disc.

Here’s the reverse side.

aEnGTU.jpg

not saying it’s not a shark vert but if it is it’s a fairly large one then.

Oh, sorry. It does resemble one of those cetacean "cookies" though, especially the back side.

5 minutes ago, josephstrizhak said:

Oh, sorry. It does resemble one of those cetacean "cookies" though, especially the back side.

Honestly I have 0 clue to what this could be. I doubt it’s a reworked formation piece. Maybe one day I’ll take it to the museum  to get ID’d

Found a few more things going through the flat file.

drum fish jaw partial, Devonian coral, and some random shark verts 

PyyEFd.jpg

@josephstrizhak

heres a few more pics of what what I think is a mosasaur tooth next to a rostral.

u8nkJx.jpg

5Hxsc5.jpg

at one time I thought it was a croc tooth but it has a extremely weak cutting edge that’s been worn and over all shape is rounded unlike most rostral I’ve seen. I could be wrong but I’m still thinking it’s reptilian tooth of some sort. 

The one you're seeing a cetacean cookie in as not too far off. It's a fragment of a shark vertebra. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/19/2018 at 7:53 PM, Woopaul5 said:

Found a few more things going through the flat file.

drum fish jaw partial, Devonian coral, and some random shark verts 

PyyEFd.jpg

Those do look like devonian corals. The vertebrae are best identified as Chondrichthyan, but are likely from batids. The "drum" fish jaw is actually an Anomoeodus phaseolus jaw section.

The "reptile tooth" is a worn down sawfish rostral for sure.

10 hours ago, The Jersey Devil said:

The "reptile tooth" is a worn down sawfish rostral for sure.

Appreciate it. Then I have a couple of these then 

Your collection represents a lot of the really interesting Upper Cretaceous marine fossils that can be found in Monmouth County streams. Congratulations and good luck finding more.

• 2 weeks later...

Went out the other day. 

Tr8wSA.jpg

Below are the better finds a few Scapanorynchus Texanus, Arcaeolamna Koigenisis, and a drum fish section

03D2pv.jpg

Nice little curve below on this fresh fall

USuakh.jpg

Archived