Moroccan trilobite identification

Haravex

Recently picked up some un-prepared trilobites while in morocco there is some Cambrian trilobites pictured here which have not had the full prep done yet so I understand some might not be fully identifiable.

Thanks Matt

Trilobite1.JPG

Trilobite2.JPG

Trilobite3.JPG

Trilobite4.JPG

I’ll wager a guess... Hamatolenus sp. (possibly Hamotolenus marocanus) .

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Is that the first one? They all look different to me but again have very little knowledge on these fossils.

Those are some really awesome trilobites:). I am no expert but I'll also try a guess, the one before the last one looks to me like a Ourikaia Calva. Also may I ask what are their sizes? I think that @LordTrilobite would be able to help, after all he is the lord of trilobites.

Life started in the ocean. And so did my interest in fossils;).

Sorry, no idea. Haven't focused on trilobites in over a decade.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

The 1st is 1.9 inches head to tail (pygriym?) 2nd is 2.3 inches 3rd is 0.7 inches 4th is 0.8 inches and the 5th is 2.0 inches.

I'm thinking they may all be Hamatolenus (not Ellipsocephalus)

Here is an image of Hamatolenus marocanus for comparison. Note the similar shape of the glabella to your specimens: 355-ha10.jpg

It looks like it but the first one does seem different the side spines of the head extend all the way to around 2/3rds of the body.

6 minutes ago, Haravex said:

It looks like it but the first one does seem different the side spines of the head extend all the way to around 2/3rds of the body.

Have a look here. It seems that there is some variety in how these trilobites are named. In this case, the convention sides with Hamatolenus marocanus. In the images here, you can see some of the specimens have long genal spines: http://moroccan-trilobites.net/h.marocanus.html

Ah ok thank you for this I still do wonder if the first one is slightly different maybe its from the same hamatolenus family but a different type from this genus? Again know very little about these bugs but wanted to give people a chance to pick one or two real Cambrian trilobites as I see this posted a lot in the is it real section of the forum. Thanks for all your help Kane :dinothumb:

Matt

Could very well be. I'll have a look at some of the diagnostic details of the Hamos listed in Morocco. Some I can rule out (such as H. vincenti) because yours don't seem to have a macropleural spine present.

Hamatolenus marocanus

H. c.f meridionalis

H. draensis

H. vincenti

H. magnus

H.(Myopsolenus) staminops

• 2 weeks later...

There is also this one that I am currently prepping but don't know the species and would be good to know so I have an overall idea of where parts of the head are as I see some trilobite from morocco that sometimes have additinal parts to the head like spines and stuff like this.

PSX_20180801_190716.jpg

PSX_20180801_190917.jpg

PSX_20180801_191001.jpg

PSX_20180801_191031.jpg

1 minute ago, Haravex said:

I feel @piranha is the resident trilobite expert on these forums correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks Matt

You're not wrong, but some of us others will work in a pinch when he is not available. :) 

Ok thanks kane do you have any idea about this one I believe the limestone is Devonian and so far is around just under one inch, and thanks again.

• 4 weeks later...
On 19/07/2018 at 12:00 PM, Kane said:

I'm thinking they may all be Hamatolenus (not Ellipsocephalus)

Here is an image of Hamatolenus marocanus for comparison. Note the similar shape of the glabella to your specimens: 355-ha10.jpg

Please Kane, put the link to the forum where this pic comes from. It is a french specialized trilobit forum and I am an Administrator on this place ;) This guy (the author of this plate) makes a marvelous job on trilos.

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

3 minutes ago, Coco said:

Please Kane, put the link to the forum where this pic comes from. It is a french specialized trilobit forum and I am an Administrator on this place ;) This guy (the autor of this plate) makes a marvelous job on trilos.

Coco

It is a very good plate! I don't seem to have the link handy (and Google is not cooperating with me today), so I'd be obliged if you could furnish it for us when you have the chance. :) 

• I found this Informative 3

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg