Rarity of scallops with both valves attached

MeargleSchmeargl

Over the course of this year learning about the Tivola Limestone, the more I've inexplicably wanted an in-situ Eocene scallop. I've seen before that scallops with both valves attached at the hinge have been found, but how rare is such a phenomenon?

Something like this:

post-11133-0-68145600-1362698650.thumb.jpg.4f2159ebb156dcfbe61bb741319e777b.jpg

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

I have seen boxfuls of full scallops from Ruck's Pit in Fort Drum, Florida.  I've kept a few myself.

most do not stay together, depends on the fossilization method (ie.. Rucks pit)

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

I guess you could basically say that when they are buried rapidly after their demise, then the chances that the valves stay together are much better than when they've been lying on the sea floor or in the surf on the beach for a long time, since the soft tissue which holds them together decomposes relatively quickly.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

I haven’t been actively looking for them, but I’ve found one scallop with both valves in the Choptank formation. I’ve seen many other shelled critters with both valves though.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Archived