Max-fossils

Hi all,

Currently I am on holidays in the south of France. We were thinking of maybe going tomorrow to the location Lacoste, in the Vaucluse, in France, to hunt for Miocene bivalves. This is the location where all those amazing giant white scallops (which you often see for sale at exhilarating prices) come from!

Anyone got any tips regarding the hunting there? As in how to find the best fossils, how to extract them properly, etc?

If we do end up going, I will, of course, make a trip report on this forum ;)

I'll be tagging the French fossil hunters, perhaps you guys have already been here and wouldn't mind sharing some tips/feedback :) 

@fifbrindacier @Coco @caterpillar

Thanks in advance!

Best regards,

Max

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

42 minutes ago, Max-fossils said:

Hi all,

Currently I am on holidays in the south of France. We were thinking of maybe going tomorrow to the location Lacoste, in the Vaucluse, in France, to hunt for Miocene bivalves. This is the location where all those amazing giant white scallops (which you often see for sale at exhilarating prices) come from!

Anyone got any tips regarding the hunting there? As in how to find the best fossils, how to extract them properly, etc?

I'll be tagging the French fossil hunters, perhaps you guys have already been here and wouldn't mind sharing some tips/feedback :) 

Thanks in advance!

Best regards,

Max

Hey Max, 

Seems like you are pretty close to me at the moment, I am about 50 kilometers more southern than you are. There are fossils all over this region and yours. Are there also ammonites in Your region? Here there are a lot of ammonites and bivalves.

Can't help you with those Miocene bivalves but I wish you a good hunting.

Greetings 

Thijs 

• I found this Informative 1

2 hours ago, Max-fossils said:

Hi all,

Thanks in advance!

Best regards,

Max

I wish you a good Hunting Max. I'm sorry, i've never been there but i think you'll have more chances with @caterpillar and maybe also with @Coco. Maybe @David in Japan hunted in that area too.

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

4 hours ago, gigantoraptor said:

Hey Max, 

Seems like you are pretty close to me at the moment, I am about 50 kilometers more southern than you are. There are fossils all over this region and yours. Are there also ammonites in Your region? Here there are a lot of ammonites and bivalves.

Can't help you with those Miocene bivalves but I wish you a good hunting.

Greetings 

Thijs 

Hey what a coincidence! I’m not actually at Lacoste. I’m in between Tourves and Saint-Maximin. So maybe even closer to where you are! 

I’m not aware of any fossils around our holiday house here in Provence... but I’d love to see the photos of the fossils war you!!!

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

3 hours ago, fifbrindacier said:

I wish you a good Hunting Max. I'm sorry, i've never been there but i think you'll have more chances with @caterpillar and maybe also with @Coco. Maybe @David in Japan hunted in that area too.

Merci Sophie!

Max Derème

49 minutes ago, caterpillar said:

Lacoste was a great place to find fossils. Beautiful Pecten and also Echinoids (Tripneustes). But now, it's forbidden. The owner doesn't want anyone in his quarry

Ah no, what a shame!!! :doh!::( 

Guess I’ll have to rule that option out then... boohoohooo...

(I was already getting all excited to find my own giant scallops! Oh, how hopes can get so easily crushed...)

Thank you for notifying me at least. It would’ve been much more painful to find that out if I did so tomorrow morning in front of the quarries!

Max Derème

56 minutes ago, caterpillar said:

Lacoste was a great place to find fossils. Beautiful Pecten and also Echinoids (Tripneustes). But now, it's forbidden. The owner doesn't want anyone in his quarry

What about Carniol?

Max Derème

6 hours ago, Max-fossils said:

What about Carniol?

I don't know much about south of France, I went there when I was very young and don't remember much of that trip but I know that there is the Montagne Sainte Victoria not too far for where you are staying. It is famous for it's Dino eggs and even if almost all the mountain is protected as national park (forbidding fossil collect), you can still find a lot of egg shell fragment in non protected areas. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~〇~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Warmest greetings from Kumamoto、 Japan

7 hours ago, Max-fossils said:

(I was already getting all excited to find my own giant scallops! Oh, how hopes can get so easily crushed...)

Hey Max, I have a giant scallop up for bids on the forum continuous auction just waiting for you to snatch it away from everyone else!!!! DSC_0384.thumb.JPG.c097de33a67d3ff7190dcb0cd4d9c7d2.JPG 

Hope to see a bid!

Mike

Hello Max J live in Vaucluse near from Carpentras,Lacoste is close because parc natuerel regional du luberon. J collecting in another place lot of fossils ammonites ,heteromorphe ammonite,urshin,crabs,plant,trilos,mammals ,sharth teeth,insect and more Etc... Best regards

J collecting only fossils since 30 years old,ammonites,heteromorphe ammonite,crabs,fish trilobit, sea urshins, mammals, etc...J am married . Sorry for my enghish

20 hours ago, minnbuckeye said:

Hey Max, I have a giant scallop up for bids on the forum continuous auction just waiting for you to snatch it away from everyone else!!!! DSC_0384.thumb.JPG.c097de33a67d3ff7190dcb0cd4d9c7d2.JPG 

Hope to see a bid!

Mike

Lol thanks haha. The key word though was “find”. I’ve already got a lot of huge fossil scallops in my collection (too many for my parent’s taste!), and here I was getting excited to find them myself. Your shell is a beauty though so I’m sure that you’ll get some bids on it!

Max Derème

20 hours ago, David in Japan said:

I don't know much about south of France, I went there when I was very young and don't remember much of that trip but I know that there is the Montagne Sainte Victoria not too far for where you are staying. It is famous for it's Dino eggs and even if almost all the mountain is protected as national park (forbidding fossil collect), you can still find a lot of egg shell fragment in non protected areas. 

Yeah apparently Dino egg shells fragments are rather common at several locations close to Aix-en-Provence. I’ll have to go look some time!

Max Derème

6 hours ago, herve said:

Hello Max J live in Vaucluse near from Carpentras,Lacoste is close because parc natuerel regional du luberon. J collecting in another place lot of fossils ammonites ,heteromorphe ammonite,urshin,crabs,plant,trilos,mammals ,sharth teeth,insect and more Etc... Best regards

Ah cool! What’s the name of those locations? I’d love to pay a visit to them some time!

Max Derème

2 hours ago, Max-fossils said:

Lol thanks haha. The key word though was “find”.

If you bid, you could "FIND" it in your mailbox!!!!