Possibilities of owning a Carnotaurus tooth

paulyb135

Hi all

just wondering what the chances are of ever being able to own a carnotaurus tooth.

it’s probably number one or two on my want list and I know they can’t be imported from Argentina but wondering how many people own them ( were they common when they were obtainable) and if you can see a way in the future if Argentina allowing these fossils to be sold once more.

any help or info would be appreciated!

Paul

Very very very small. Dinosaur fossils from Argentina are very poorly documented (unsure of location and formation) so to get a Carnotaurus tooth with 100% certainty is pretty slim. Plus I believe there were other abelisaurids found in the formation Carnotaurus was so this also adds a problem.

However, I suppose there is a slim chance for one to be found! Not sure where to look though.

Cheers Matt!

I like a challenge and hope to own one someday even if there is a bit of doubt in its identification 

Agreed and I would add slim to none.  You are never going to be able to verify the locality of where that tooth came from.  It did not exist in the hay day of when Argentinean material was available for sale.  All of the  teeth sold as Carnotaurus were from localities were it did not exist.   Carnotaurus teeth are not diagnostic to other large bodied Abelsaurid.  

Thanks for the reply Frank. 

I’d imagine if anyone had a definitive carnotaurus tooth it would be you. Correct me if I’m wrong :).

perhaps I’ll try to find an Argentinian abelsaurid tooth instead and broaden the search 

No, because there is no way to validate where it came from even when the market was open.  Diggers would provide teeth to locals selling to foreign markets and irrespective of where it came from they would put a Carnotaurus ID on it since it was a well known dinosaur versus Theropod indet.  Lots of localities in the Rio Negroo and Nequen provinces with different Abelisaurids.  Just like most of bones from the Kem Kem are called Spinosaurus. 

I agree I think you will have more sucess finding an Abelisaurid tooth from Argentina that was acquired when there was no embargo.   Again don't believe the Carnotaurus ID that it was sold under that would be like sticking your head in the sand.  

• I found this Informative 1

9 minutes ago, Troodon said:

No, because there is no way to validate where it came from even when the market was open.  Diggers would provide teeth to locals selling to foreign markets and irrespective of where it came from they would put a Carnotaurus ID on it since it was a well known dinosaur versus Theropod indet.  Lots of localities in the Rio Negroo and Nequen provinces with different Abelisaurids.  Just like most of bones from the Kem Kem are called Spinosaurus. 

I agree I think you will have more sucess finding an Abelisaurid tooth from Argentina that was acquired when there was no embargo.   Again don't believe the Carnotaurus ID that it was sold under that would be like sticking your head in the sand.  

Thanks Frank! Very helpful as always!