Confusion about the Yixian formation

Bone guy

I'm very confused by the Yixian formation, it seems that I can never get a straight answer as to the age of the formation. 99.99999% of sellers who sell Yixian formation fossils claim the age is early Cretaceous, but some published papers say other wise.

Example: recently I purchased a Protosephurus liui which is from the Yixian. The seller claimed the age of the fish is early Cretaceous. However, a paper I read about Protosephurus liui pointed toward the fish being late Jurassic.

Maybe the Yixian just crosses over both the late Jurassic and early Cretaceous....and both time periods are applicable? 

Yixian formation is early Cretaceous (Barremian - Aptian)

Once thought to be late  jurassic to early cretaceous this 1999 paper used radiometric dating to resolve the dates.  

"The results of this dating study indicate that the lower Yixian fossil horizons are not Jurassic but rather are at least 20Myr younger, placing them within middle Early Cretaceous time"

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/32023885_Swisher_C_C_Wang_Y-Q_Wang_X-L_Xu_X_Wang_Y_Cretaceous_age_for_the_feathered_dinosaurs_of_Liaoning_China_Nature_400_58-61

In a late 2017 paper some changes were made " The widely accepted stratigraphic column for the Yixian Formation requires reinterpretation" its paywalled so not sure if the reinterpretation is minor or major but its still early Cretaceous and not jurassic

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/32023885_Swisher_C_C_Wang_Y-Q_Wang_X-L_Xu_X_Wang_Y_Cretaceous_age_for_the_feathered_dinosaurs_of_Liaoning_China_Nature_400_58-61

• I found this Informative 4

2 hours ago, Bone guy said:

Perfect! My mystery is solved :D 

Great, can we all go out for pizza now?

• I found this Informative 1

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

The 2017 Pal/Pal/Pal paper uses Renne's recalibrated Fish Canyon sanidine potassium decay standard, with concomitant result: some new plateau ages 

2f566655tyyy774ett77archime44e5tmedtr2m35pltwillist.jpg

The Lower Lava unit (straddling the boundary between the Luijatun and Jianshangou Formations) is now 0,70 Ma older

9 hours ago, doushantuo said:

The 2017 Pal/Pal/Pal paper uses Renne's recalibrated Fish Canyon sanidine potassium decay standard,with concomitant result: some new plateau ages 

The Lower Lava unit(straddling the boundary between the Luijatun and Jianshangou Formations) is now 0,70 Ma older

Author citation? 

And can you explain for those of us not in the know, how this relates to the question? 

I honestly have no idea what this is about, or how it relates.  :headscratch:

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Luckily, we received a clue: Pal/Pal/Pal (=Palaeogeography, Palaeoclimatology, Palaeoecology)

An advanced search for all 2017 papers containing the keyword 'sanidine' revealed this paper:

Chang, S.C., Gao, K.Q., Zhou, C.F., & Jourdan, F. 2017

New chronostratigraphic constraints on the Yixian Formation with implications for the Jehol Biota.

Palaeogeography, Palaeoclimatology, Palaeoecology, 487:399-406

"Fair Use" and courtesy to the authors and future participants of TFF, dictates this info should always be provided when attaching any figures, images or text from copyrighted material.

• I found this Informative 3

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png