6 inch Carcharodontosaurus Tooth- Real or fake?

Hi all,

I am new to fossil collecting and I am looking to acquire either a T-Rex or Carcharodontosaurus. I found this online. The seller claims that there are no repair/restoration on Carcharodontosaurus teeth and also offers money back guarantee. T-Rex tooth has few small hydrartion cracks that were stabilized as per the seller.

I am debating whether to buy 2.5 inch  T-rex tooth vs 6 inch Carcharodontosaurus tooth. The price is pretty much the same. I am attaching photos of both Carcharodontosaurus (Photos 1 to 4) and T-rex (photos 5-9) 

My question is which one would you choose for long term investment. Also, which one would you choose based on rarity and condition? Is a 6 inch Carch tooth rare?. I appreciate your opinions.

carch-1.jpg

carch-2.jpg

carch-3.jpg

carch-4.jpg

T-rex 1.jpg

T-rex-2.jpg

T-rex-3.jpg

T-rex-4.jpg

T-rex-5.jpg

Edited by pcptrade
Original post asked about long term investment. Maintaining continuity for replies.

I've removed the seller descriptions from your post. Please do not copy/paste seller verbiage as it readily identifies sellers, and if there is a negative assessment of the seller's claims and the seller discovers it, it leaves the forum open to legal problems that we'd rather avoid. 

Put it in your own words. ;) 

Not sure about what you mean by long term investment. Fossils are unique items unlike metals, stocks, coins, comic books, or similar collectibles. This is a science-based forum, and so commercial or marketing aspects of fossils are not our focus here.

Topic moved to "Is it Real" subforum.

• I found this Informative 4

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

• Fossildude19 changed the title to 6 inch Carcharodontosaurus Tooth- Real or fake?

Fossils are not what I would choose as "investments".  :unsure: 

Most folks buy fossils because they like to look at them, or enjoy studying them, or just for the novelty of owning a piece of the distant past.

You'd be better off putting the money in your 401K for investment purposes. ;) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Both are very beautiful teeth. For personal aesthetics I love the coloring on the Carch. But I think rarity goes to the Rex. 

I all comes down to your personal choice as to what you like. I don't see fossils as an investment in that they are only worth what someone is willing to pay for them. They are not on any stock exchange so prices aren't going to skyrocket in a few years.

Prices depend on popularity. What do people like in their collections and how much do they want to spend to fill in that void.

• I found this Informative 3

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Teeth are very real.

Hydration cracks are normal not sure what I have circled might be a repair?  The mesial serrations are not the best on the Trex tooth.  T-rex teeth are always more desired by collectors than any Moroccan teeth but dont purchase teeth because of investment reasons but because you like them.   Both teeth are not rare just in excellent  condition and prized by collectors in this condition.

T-rex-4.jpg.fd8b376cde4caf947325116ff1b4d4ee.jpg.7cdbd07446a66975f530a3084155ffed.jpg

The only concern with the Carch tooth is a darker area below the crown, could be fill   Might be nothing but its something you would examine if you purchase the tooth.  Photos are not adequate 

carch-1.jpg.0e125a754a169abc4b79752ba94c800c_20180720045452012.jpg.e644b9415c70e7a560209d6c1d941618.jpg

Let me rephrase my question- My question is which one would you choose based on rarity and condition. Is 6 inch Carch tooth rarer?  

Thank you all for your insights.

Edited by pcptrade
Original post asked about the specimens holding their value.

"Hold its value" seems like just another way of asking for an appraisal. :unsure: The only "value" we can comment on is the scientific or personal value it may have, not monetary. These are not items that are tied to markets per se.

Besides, if the economy collapsed, any potential monetary value of such an item would be zero. :P 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

You are looking at this all wrong, thats not how I buy teeth and Im a dinosaur collector..  Both teeth are cool and the decision needs to be which one you like best and fits into your collection.  You cannot go wrong with either.  Some collectors like rooted teeth because they are harder to obtain, thats me, others would kill for a T-rex tooth, not me.  You are not a collector but an investor with those questions

Choosing a fossil to purchase is a subjective matter - everyone has different reasons for what they buy. 

Ultimately, it is your decision, and you shouldn't base your decisions on the opinions of others. 

As stated, both are nice teeth. Buy what brings you pleasure in owning.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

My first choice is T-Rex because it's a T-Rex ;)but I am also attracted towards the Carch teeth because I of the condition and rarity. I thought it is rare to find one that is more than 6 inches. Correct me if I am wrong.

Edited by pcptrade

Beautiful teeth!  Both creatures are fascinating, but I suppose you could say that about any prehistoric animal/plant specimens. As far as these two teeth are concerned there is, in my opinion, no wrong choice. When you think about these dinosaurs ask yourself which evokes a greater feeling of awe. If equal there is always the proverbial coin toss:fingerscrossed:

I am already into stocks, bullion, rare books, manuscripts etc.:D I consider collectibles both as hobby as well as investment especially rare books, sports cards, key silver age comics. Same is true for fossil. I like to collect them as a hobby but I feel there is a long term value to them. It's not like throwing money on gambling where you could loose everything. Fossils should hold some or most of their value in the long run.

Edited by pcptrade

If you have an item that is considered rare it has more "value".  If a whole bunch of that item are found, then it is no longer considered rare and the value will decrease dramatically.

Also, tastes change, and what is sought after today may become undesirable in the future. And the value will decrease dramatically.

Collectibles are not a good investment.

• I found this Informative 2

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Fossil values only go up if there is a ban on the place they were found (a cut off of supply but a continuous demand, like Chinese psittacosaurus ) or there is something that makes a type popular (Like Jurassic Park for T. rex teeth, which I’ve heard are not uncommon). No movie has featured the Carch, so that’s out and Morocco is still open for sale in terms of fossils. Any perceived value is in the buyers eyes. 

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

I ended up buying the Carch because of the 1. condition 2. Rarity- According to this blog, Carch tooth more than 6 inches are rare and sell for a lot-

https://www.ebay.com/gds/Buying-Fossil-Dinosaur-Teeth-What-You-Should-Know-/10000000052928415/g.html

"Museum quality teeth over 3 inches can sell for many thousands of dollars, one of the most expensive i've seen personally was a 6 inch tooth that sold for just over 20 000 dollars at the Tucson Gem and Fossil show! "

Also, the seller of 6 inch Carch's tooth mentioned (under item description) that this was his largest Carch tooth and the second largest Carch tooth that he has ever seen. According to the seller, The largest Carch tooth was also 6 plus inches and was selling for $7K

Thank you all.

Edited by pcptrade
  • I found this Informative 1

5 hours ago, Kane said:

I've removed the seller descriptions from your post. Please do not copy/paste seller verbiage

@pcptrade

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

37 minutes ago, pcptrade said:

Carch tooth more than 6 inches a

Just an FYI, when a blog like that talks about a 6" Carch tooth it's looking at just the Crown not a rooted tooth.   6" Crowns are super rare and at the top end of what you can find in this species and priced accordingly.   Your crown is closer to 4"

Be very careful with those type of blogs the accuracy of some of tge information is questionable and should not be used a buying guide.  I think you will find better guidance here in the forum.

9 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Just an FYI, when a blog like that talks about a 6" Carch tooth it's looking at just the Crown not a rooted tooth.  

It could be the total length including the root. I agree, we might never know what the eBay blogger is referring to (crown length versus total length including the root)

The seller is a reputable one. He mentioned that was his largest Carch tooth and the second largest Carch tooth that he has ever seen.

Edited by pcptrade

You should buy the tooth because you like the fossil and will appreciate it and the significance it held millions of years ago. Most fossils should hold their value unless someone stumbles across a tonne of this species which therefore makes them a common item. 

Its a very nice tooth youve bought but I wouldn’t be sat there thinking this time next year I can double my money.

display it proudly and make it a centrepiece in your home ;).

Paul

43 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

He's quoting a block by one of our members that is on eBay.  

Not a seller. ;)

12 minutes ago, pcptrade said:

It could be the total length including the root. I agree, we might never know what the eBay blogger is referring to (crown length versus total length including the root)

The seller is a reputable one. He mentioned that was his largest Carch tooth and the second largest Carch tooth that he has ever seen.

My point was that you were comparing apples and oranges in that blog,  I know exactly what was being said.   

23 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

He's quoting a block by one of our members that is on eBay.  

Not a seller. ;)

He removed the part I was talking about

Happy hunting,

Mason

41 minutes ago, Troodon said:

My point was that you were comparing apples and oranges in that blog,  I know exactly what was being said.   

The way I see it is 6 plus inch Carch tooth is rare. It doesn't matter to me if it's just 6 plus inches of crown with no root or 6 plus inches including the root (crown plus root). Based on my research, I have not seen a Carch tooth which has 6 plus inches of crown alone without any root. I do agree the pricing will be different for a carch tooth which has 6 plus inches of crown vs Carch tooth which has 4 inches of crown and 2 inches of root. The one I purchased is 6.06 inches.

Edited by pcptrade