Uncle Siphuncle

Earlier this year, my wife proposed the excellent idea of replacing our sadly leaning stick of a mailbox post with something a little more grand, hewn in stone, studded with ammonites of our own discovery.  I had intended to take on this project earlier in the year, before the Texas sun would hit me twixt the shoulder blades like a sledge hammer, but a schedule overrun in my kitchen and laundry room remodeling gave me a late start.

Anyway, this project took me longer than anticipated since this was my first time dabbling in stonemasonry.  The process took me about 6 weeks in my spare time, starting with research of mailbox height from road level and setback from the curb using the USPS website.  

Next, I made a design in 3D CAD and had a drawing approved by the Postmaster.  Following that, I called 811 and had utility companies mark presence of lines in my yard.

I dug a 2 x 4 foot rectangular hole about a foot deep, filled half of it with gravel for drainage, then poured a 6 inch concrete slab, reinforced with rebar.

The superstructure is composed of cinder blocks with voids infilled with cement.  My boy and I opted for a honkin' big mailbox capable of holding a USPS Flat Rate Large box.  "Go big or go home", as they say.

My neighbors expressed reservations about the stark gray "flak tower" standing in my yard, but their concerns were allayed when I faced the entire structure with flagstone that more or less matches our house, down to the "mortarless limestone" construction, which essentially means mortar on the back of the stone, with no grout filling the gaps.  

As a cool side note, it turns out that the flagstone has many fossil fish vertebrae and scales throughout.  I'm not sure of the age or provenance of the stone, so I guess that adds a measure of mystique.  What I do know is the provenance of the ammonites, and the buddies I was with when I found them on various trips.  A couple of these guys are Forum members, so this thing now stands monument to both my wife's design vision, and also to various friendships.  

There are ammonites on all 4 sides, 10 in all, including Mortoniceras equidistans from the Fort Worth Fm, Eopachydiscus marcianus from the Duck Creek Fm, and Morts from the Duck Creek.  One Eo even has a small Macraster washitae tucked into the aperture.

Anyway, I drilled several drain holes into the base of both side planters, so now we can fill them with gravel and potting soil for my wife's choice of xeriscapic flora.

We'd better get some good mail going forward!

IMG_2023.jpg

IMG_2022.thumb.jpg.8b3d9a1e26ba6f07309dc2c604be4fe1.jpg

IMG_2021.jpg

IMG_2020.jpg

• I found this Informative 4

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

P.S.  I had expert supervision throughout the entire process.

F97A762C-9716-4DAD-A4C3-EE01E63159CD.jpeg

Grüße,

E3AD91B3-F491-4204-856D-C6EE18C6FE6A.png

Grüße,

And again

IMG_1914.jpg

IMG_1883.JPG

Grüße,

This. is. Awesome! 

I like the style and implementation of the design. 

Well done, sir.

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

wow!  Beautiful!  I have to ask, since I work as a CAD Tech....what 3D program did you use?

Everything is generated through your own will power ~ Ray Bradbury

It was a bit of a problem when Longhorn decided to swat at my trowel while spreading fast setting mortar, but we made it through.

9C51DC2D-7AB3-4EDD-B2A4-B1BD2283E2B1.png

Grüße,

3 minutes ago, Walt said:

wow!  Beautiful!  I have to ask, since I work as a CAD Tech....what 3D program did you use?

We use Pro-E Creo 4.0 at work, so it was a quick and easy lunch hour task.

• I found this Informative 2

Grüße,

Nice! All the neighbors envy I imagine:D

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Just now, Uncle Siphuncle said:

We use Pro-E Creo 4.0 at work, so it was a quick and easy lunch hour task.

Autodesk Inventor here... 

A Texas-sized monument to paleo prowess!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

6 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

Nice! All the neighbors envy I imagine:D

Coincidentally, 4 of us on the street redid mailboxes at the same time.  I definitely got the prize for most overpersonalized!

• I found this Informative 2

Grüße,

2 minutes ago, Auspex said:

A Texas-sized monument to paleo prowess!

For the next Texas Twister that rips through, I think I'll chain myself to this thing.

Grüße,

Awesome. I agree; it is too small. It won't even fit an average-sized Texas ammonite in a box.

For your next project consider lining your driveway with giant Texas-sized Idiohamites ammonites; sort of like the candy canes that line paths in the Candyland game.

IMG_0470.JPG

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

I've got my pry bar ready...what time did you say your household goes to sleep?

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Just now, caldigger said:

That's Texas.  Watch out for the shotgunosaurus.....

24 minutes ago, caldigger said:

Beware of lurking saber tooth kitties....

Grüße,

25 minutes ago, Walt said:

That's Texas.  Watch out for the shotgunosaurus.....

Haha more like Pumposaurus weatherbyi and AR15iceras 30roundensis aff. green tip

• I found this Informative 1

Grüße,

58 minutes ago, Uncle Siphuncle said:

Beware of lurking saber tooth kitties....

I'm a cat person, all cats adore me. I'll have Longhorn eating out of my hands in no time. (Having a handy can of Tuna doesn't hurt either.)

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

36 minutes ago, caldigger said:

I'm a cat person, all cats adore me. I'll have Longhorn eating out of my hands in no time. (Having a handy can of Tuna doesn't hurt either.)

His kryptonite comes in the form of fossils of the Pecan Gap formation, where we rescued him while out collecting one day.  I like most outdoor pets, the more independent, the better, hence cats at the moment. 

Grüße,

2 hours ago, Uncle Siphuncle said:

His kryptonite comes in the form of fossils of the Pecan Gap formation, where we rescued him while out collecting one day.  I like most outdoor pets, the more independent, the better, hence cats at the moment. 

I hear Tasmanian Devils are kinda fun. ;)

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Both interesting and cool. Congratulations Dan on the completion of another fine and impressive project and thanks for sharing it.

Excellent work, Dan.  I like that your supervisor wears a harness.  Do you guys take him for walks?