Teylers Museum of Wonders

Bobby Rico

As you all have enjoyed this post, here is a couple of more beauties for your enjoyment.

37C1F028-D0D6-4436-AD1B-536555BF1D00.jpeg

0BBA036D-D930-482E-B072-908F7E741826.jpeg

7AC5D118-614E-448A-8389-5FF68F4D1CCD.jpeg

8D5EA66B-191A-4F6F-81E1-23431EE936A8.jpeg

EFCCD4B2-62E4-41B8-81DC-81F4BA85D850.jpeg

5F35D7D0-1332-401B-9C2E-E72D3A34A3D8.jpeg

B3718BF3-7022-4538-928D-65812E12F5AF.jpeg

190F36E9-412E-4827-B160-F252B0A549C1.jpeg

7C0D063A-FAFB-4AB3-979D-3CE099B82806.jpeg

Love all these old things. Old fossils, old paintings, old books, old building, well looked after.

1 hour ago, Wrangellian said:

Love all these old things. Old fossils, old paintings, old books, old building, well looked after.

Yes that is right and a nice thing about the place is they have had a new wing built on it , that is lovingly done and perfect and they did not touch the original collection or how it is housed. I have seen it before in old museums when they have a refit the old cases go and the new interactive displays comes in. For me too many Museums have lost some of their charm in an update. 

5EB38B71-8AB0-40F3-AA02-0BC72F30E388.jpeg

8C466D4C-650B-4862-94AB-35F5B6BC2EAC.jpeg

892591EC-227A-4006-AEAC-09C5D4A94D0B.jpeg

F65A1766-414D-46D0-B045-8FDDD864A89C.jpeg

D5045443-B312-4DB4-BFD5-1AAFF76CF95C.jpeg

Exit though the gift shop. 

Catalog, postcards and lovely little ammonite to remember a beautiful day.

B9CA85A7-267D-4277-A987-15093FEEDC00.jpeg

48D7CE6B-2F66-4FA5-80AE-AB550B8A7770.jpeg

390B990E-FD15-4579-BB53-32EDE3DB91E2.jpeg

11 hours ago, caldigger said:

Anything with the name "Museum of Wonders" has my interest. I especially like those type of places which hold natural oddities such as two headed creatures, bizarre deformations, forum members, etc., etc. You know, true freaks of nature. :P

If your ever in the uk . I will take you to see the Pitt River Museum all most all the collection is on show including shrunken heads and a witch in a bottle.

https://www.prm.ox.ac.uk/  :dinothumb:

When I lived in Washington there was a little shop on the wharf in Seattle called " Ye Old Curiosity Shope"  it was filled with oddities from around the world. Including a couple of mummies.

When I was in third grade school, my teacher was very into native Americans and the whole "cowboy" era.  She read us an article about a mummified sheriff of old west (1800's) that had recently been found out in the desert. He'd been shot and likely lost his horse and must have wandered out in the desert trying to seek help.

The Arizona desert completely dried him out where he fell, thus mummifying him.

Fast forward about 30 years and guess who I met walking into that shop.

That's right, Sylvester!

20180721_043407.png

Mrs. Liffering  would have been proud!

I think a nice touch would have been for them to print the labels on a yellowed parchment paper, to give it that "Old School" feel.

20180721_042715.png

2 hours ago, caldigger said:

When I lived in Washington there was a little shop on the wharf in Seattle called " Ye Old Curiosity Shope"  it was filled with oddities from around the world. Including a couple of mummies.

When I was in third grade school, my teacher was very into native Americans and the whole "cowboy" era.  She read us an article about a mummified sheriff of old west (1800's) that had recently been found out in the desert. He'd been shot and likely lost his horse and must have wandered out in the desert trying to seek help.

The Arizona desert completely dried him out where he fell, thus mummifying him.

Fast forward about 30 years and guess who I met walking into that shop.

That's right, Sylvester!

20180721_043407.png

Mrs. Liffering  would have been proud!

It does look like he caught the sun and gone a good shad of bronze. Amazing story and really macabre ending Sylvester. Thanks  Bobby 

16 hours ago, Bobby Rico said:

C48DA4FE-4D0E-4FA2-AE1C-68C10A52B8D4.jpeg

???

Looks like a lovely place! Beautiful, historic, and well taken care of fossils are a joy to see. And the others parts of their collection are spectacular as well. Thanks for sharing. 

3 hours ago, Heteromorph said:

???

Homo neanderthalensis, a Neanderthal. It’s showing you the bottom and top of the cranium as well as the mandible.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

13 hours ago, Bobby Rico said:

Yes that is right and a nice thing about the place is they have had a new wing built on it , that is lovingly done and perfect and they did not touch the original collection or how it is housed. I have seen it before in old museums when they have a refit the old cases go and the new interactive displays comes in. For me too many Museums have lost some of their charm in an update. 

Yes, that's typically what happens out here. If something is more than about 30 years old, it's deemed too old and 'out of date' or too expensive to maintain, so it gets demolished and something newer and less appealing goes in its place (probably at much greater cost than simply refurbishing the old, but they don't tell us that before they begin their irreversible work).

Most of our museums, though, including the provincial museum, were not built that far back, so they never had that old kind of charm to begin with.

On 21/07/2018 at 6:06 PM, Heteromorph said:

???

Looks like a lovely place! Beautiful, historic, and well taken care of fossils are a joy to see. And the others parts of their collection are spectacular as well. Thanks for sharing. 

My pleasure indeed . It was a nice thing to do. Glad some my of my friends enjoyed it.

How wonderful, Bobby, thanks very much for all the photographs, what a fascinating place to visit. :)

Bit short of brachiopods, mind you. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

17 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

How wonderful, Bobby, thanks very much for all the photographs, what a fascinating place to visit. :)

Bit short of brachiopods, mind you. 

You have brachiopod on the brain! 

I am just waiting for the official  announcement of the opening of Fes's first exclusive all inclusive-

Gate's Brachiopod Museum and Tortoise Emporium.

I've already purchased my advanced tickets!

I think the 1st Archeopteryx specimen you showed was once considered a pterosaur fossil, right?

Wonderful museum :) Thanks for sharing this!

Opalised fossils are the best: a wonderful mix between paleontology and mineralogy!

Q. Where do dinosaurs study?

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

On 7/21/2018 at 4:06 PM, Bobby Rico said:

Thanks for the translation and pointing me that way.:dinothumb:

04E4DCA4-DB49-4130-9D88-E27939C55C0B.jpeg

5AD6D11D-FEC4-4728-8DBD-E538980A56AF.jpeg

Today, a lovely postcard waited for me when I came back home. At the end of the nice words was written to watch out for the post. looked for it and ... I just traveled to nederland. This postcard really made my day!

I am fond of this kind of place where history is inside the shelves and surrounding us in the building. If I could live in such place, I would propably be the happiest man on earth.

Pictures are amazing but the one I prefere would be the one with the drift wood and the marine faune it is stunning artistically. Nature does so much cool thing.

Thank you very much for all the pictures and the postcard.

~~~~~~~~~~~~〇~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Warmest greetings from Kumamoto、 Japan

2 hours ago, David in Japan said:

Today, a lovely postcard waited for me when I came back home. At the end of the nice words was written to watch out for the post. looked for it and ... I just traveled to nederland. This postcard really made my day!

I am fond of this kind of place where history is inside the shelves and surrounding us in the building. If I could live in such place, I would propably be the happiest man on earth.

Pictures are amazing but the one I prefere would be the one with the drift wood and the marine faune it is stunning artistically. Nature does so much cool thing.

Thank you very much for all the pictures and the postcard.

Hi David you got yours first I think it was fun send postcards to quite a few different continents .  That drift wood is stunning and from the Uk I think. Mrs Rico and I spent the day  in this museum, probably is now in my top 5 Museum with a natural History collection. 

All the best Bobby 

• 4 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, ynot said:

Thanks for the wonderful tour of this amazing museum.

Your welcome it was amazing and a beautiful place to spend a day 

Archived